Driving POP to Santiage

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you are thinking of driving over the road between POP and Santiago, be forewarned.
I made the trip in the daytime on Friday am and the condition of the road was terrible.
It seems as if the new construction has stopped all maintenance of the road.
Speed bumps are in place all over with no warnings. The road narrows dangerously with barricades alongside the drop offs.

Through circumstances I was forced to come back the same way Friday night in the rain.
In many countries a road in this condition would be closed.
I am lucky to have made it back alive.
I am well equipped with the super bright lights, new wiper blades and windex with water to clean the windscreen but the road is way past just dangerous.

This road is to be avoided at all costs. I have driven it dozens of times over the years and it has never been in worse condition. Take the bus if you have to go.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I was to supposed to got to PP on Wednesday and coming back before dark same day but I might just follow your advice and take the Metro. Thank you for the update

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am a little confused here as i know very little about driving around on the north coast. If the road is in such bad condition why does taking the Metro bus make it safer? Does the bus use a road personal vehicles can't?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am a little confused here as i know very little about driving around on the north coast. If the road is in such bad condition why does taking the Metro bus make it safer? Does the bus use a road personal vehicles can't?

The bus drivers travel the same road over and over. They get to know every bump, pothole and dangerous spot.
In addition they exchange information among themselves about the conditions.
The size of the bus tires allows the wheels to span pot holes that a car would bottom out in.
I am not comfortable with how fast the buses go from time to time and how they pass but it is a giant vehicle and overall safer

If one were to go over the side and down one of those near vertical mountain hillsides probably nothing is safe.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@zoomzx11, gotcha.......... let Metro blow out their own tires and change them........... LOL

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
This road is to be avoided at all costs. I have driven it dozens of times over the years and it has never been in worse condition. Take the bus if you have to go.

I take this road every 1 or 2 weeks, mostly late nights and mornings before dawn, and it is true that since a few months back there are areas that are more dangerous to traverse if you are not familiar with the road changes. Most of the variances are closer to the Puerto Plata side.
There is a particular point where the two oncoming lanes blends into one lane for a short period followed by minimal barricades cliffside and little to no signage indicating this.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The road subsided badly from the heavy rains in late 2016. I can't discern any real plan, but they, in their own way, are working on widening the road and shoring up the parts that subsided. It's definitely a work in progress that at the current rate could stretch into the next decade. More parts of the road are subsiding when there is heavy rains, so it's always changing.

I'm a fan of the bus myself. They are fast and as safe as you can get. If you get off at the bombe there are always taxis waiting or I can recommend a guy (Spanish only).

I've learned to get behind a truck that looks like they know the route and follow at a safe distance. If he swerves, you swerve. If he slows down, you slow down. One time, I bet on the wrong truck which was loaded with fruit and two guys riding in the back. The truck took a big speed bump at 80 kmh and it looked like it exploded as the fruit and bodies were thrown high in the air. When I say follow at a safe distance, I mean far enough that you can break for whatever hazard the truck points out to you. It's not like they paint the speed bumps for visibility.

I'd say follow a bus, but they are impossible to follow safely. Too fast.

Never ever drive an unknown road at night or in bad conditions. You're better off at a cabana for a few hours of rest.

Just my opinion.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Time to get that proposed new highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata under construction. :) They could even charge a toll, I'd pay if the roadway was maintained like the north south toll road Hwy 7.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Returning in the rain and at night I tried to find a good truck with brake lights not going too fast. Finally found one and after a couple of miles he turned off. I found myself in the lead of a really long line of cars who must have foolishly thought I knew what I was doing.
Wife's advice is to stay in the center of the road when there is no traffic and as close to center as is safe with oncoming cars.
Sounded good. Then I remembered I was the one that taught her to drive.

I had no been on the road in a long time and i thought it will be a breeze, they must have finished the construction by now.
It looks less completed and no end is sight.
All the way back in the rain I kept thinking why on earth I did not just get a hotel in Santiago.
After nearly getting killed I swore I will never drive here at night. Somehow it just seems to happen.
This time I mean it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i said it before, the best bet for driving that road in the dark or in bad conditions is to stick behind metro bus. they not only know the road very well but on narrower parts of the road incoming traffic will let large vehicle pass. or they will be the one to smack someone head on. caribe buses are, in my opinion, not quite as good. they go faster and it may be harder to keep up with them.

i've been on that road few times within the last two or three months and the condition worsens with every single trip. current weather does not help either. i try to memorize the worst parts on the way to santiago so if we drive back home after dark i can remind miesposo when/where to slow down or take extra care.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't know about Puerto Plata, Sosua, or up in the mountains, but yesterday and today in Cabarete we've had some really torrential downpours.

If it's like this in Pto. Plata, that highway will be in even worse shape than it already is. I wonder if that bridge in Jamao is still there?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
As some other poster suggested if you are lucky to follow a bus do it......I did about 2 months ago at around 8:00 PM and raining...made it safely into Santiago...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I drove back to Santiago from the north coast yesterday afternoon and used Ruta Panoramica. It too is under construction and this time they mean business. The sidewalks are in and much of the drainage system as well. To me the road is better than ever already because they have grated the whole thing (I assume in anticipation for asphalt) so you have very few of those giant holes that used to occupy 80% of the trip. I was in a SUV and still would be hesitant to drive it in a car.
I have mixed feelings about the completion of construction. On one hand the one part towards the Gurabo (Santiago) side is fantastic and it will be something to see the whole route like this but on the other hand once it is completed I am not looking forward to the anticipated traffic which will probably include a lot of trucks/busses.