Energy Conservation -

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Being solar, I am careful with my household management.
LED bulbs, careful turning off/on.
the whole thing.

We had visitors recently and I made coffee.
For the first time ever, I made back to back pots... early in the morning before 'planta' time.

BANG... battery bank shutdown ... !!
I was furious .

Then I got to thinking - the coffee machine and my water pump are my biggest power drains.

The guests were leaving and up early so - coffee, toilet flushes, showers --- I killed one inverter (of two)

Yesterday I ordered an old style percolator for my coffee.

I expect it will make the same or better coffee and best of all - 'It will NOT touch my batteries.

Why did it take me so long,???

Those of you who are solar or who dislike the size of your electric bill -- take note.!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What do you mean "killed inverter"? As in Fried?

I think I've got a breaker that trips if I over-tax my inverter. Cause I do tend to screw up once in a while.

But not with coffee makers. I drink "sun steeped iced coffee".

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Was your coffee maker of an industrial size? Which sort were you using?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just a 10-12 cup model --- regular household type.

The combination of the coffee maker, toilets/showers using the pump must have overloaded the system .

It just shut down to protect itself... came back with the generator.

Never had a 'shut off' before - 9 yrs.

Spooked me a bit.

the resistance type things are power consumers....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

The combination of the coffee maker, toilets/showers using the pump must have overloaded the system .

Spooked me a bit.

Add more batteries.

But electical items that create heat should not be on an inverter unless the batteries are high capacity.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Good for the percolator coffee - that's the way it was done on the stove in the old days - unless you ordered an electric percolator.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
ww - We use Café tier - or as I think you call it French Press Coffee makers, boil the water in a kettle on the gas stove and then pour it into the Café tier but is sound as if you have got the balance wrong on your set up - Gel Batteries and Solar panels if I remember correctly . For the invertor to shut down you either exceeded the load capability but then the breaker on the invertor would have popped or your batteries are not up to it ? Might need ot check that - remember even Gel Batteries only last about 10 years and you are getting close.

Olly and the Team

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Good for the percolator coffee - that's the way it was done on the stove in the old days - unless you ordered an electric percolator.

Stove? All you need are some stones, sticks, leaves and matches. Energy conservation at it's best.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Stove? All you need are some stones, sticks, leaves and matches. Energy conservation at it's best.

Like this?

111nz2d.jpg

And use a magnifying glass for solar staring the fire.​

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Black Coffee Please ( I supply the whiskey)

[video=youtube;NooMzmbE0xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooMzmbE0xc[/video]

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Like this?

111nz2d.jpg

And use a magnifying glass for solar staring the fire.​

My error in regards to the matches. What could I have been thinking? I must have been distracted by a good, old fashioned pot of java.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Spooked me a bit.

Sounds like your batteries Are at end of life ...

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Being solar, I am careful with my household management.
LED bulbs, careful turning off/on.
the whole thing.

We had visitors recently and I made coffee.
For the first time ever, I made back to back pots... early in the morning before 'planta' time.

BANG... battery bank shutdown ... !!
I was furious .

Then I got to thinking - the coffee machine and my water pump are my biggest power drains.

The guests were leaving and up early so - coffee, toilet flushes, showers --- I killed one inverter (of two)

Yesterday I ordered an old style percolator for my coffee.

I expect it will make the same or better coffee and best of all - 'It will NOT touch my batteries.

Why did it take me so long,???

Those of you who are solar or who dislike the size of your electric bill -- take note.!!

I'm sure that WW will figure it out. He is pretty good at this stuff.

1. It could be that the batteries ran out of juice and the system shut down as it should have to save the batteries.
2. It could be that the power required via the inverter exceeded it's capacity and tripped it's own breaker or another, just as it should to save the system.
3. Batteries are older and just can not have the best storage capacity, but the system worked as it should.
4. Being early AM, guessing that not enough solar was being harvested and/or the inverter does not have a use/charge system.

I'm guessing that a generator auto start/kick in is not installed.

Good luck ww.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct on almost all counts.

Yes, age is a factor but load was the killer...I think.

Water is an impeller system from the cistern and it kills.
Combination of toilets, showers and coffee maker (x2) did the just and tripped the safety.

Otherwise I'm doing fine - 9 yrs into it.

Looking forward to the stovetop percolator