Propane Tank Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just read on FB that a propane tank exploded this morning in Sosua this AM and killed a little boy. Anyone have any information ?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The story is correct, though the timing is wrong. The explosion occurred Thursday night about 8pm(?). I was having dinner at Nelson’s Bistro when it happened perhaps 200 meters away just past Super Pola on the other side of the road. Incredibly forceful “boom”. Ambulance arrived within minutes. I’m told it was heard as far away as Infiniti Blu

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
But it appears he was not taken to CMC which was adjacent but taken all the way to POP to Ricardo Limon hospital - maybe his life could have been saved!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The story is correct, though the timing is wrong. The explosion occurred Thursday night about 8pm(?). I was having dinner at Nelson’s Bistro when it happened perhaps 200 meters away just past Super Pola on the other side of the road. Incredibly forceful “boom”. Ambulance arrived within minutes. I’m told it was heard as far away as Infiniti Blu
How did the explosion happen?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
But it appears he was not taken to CMC which was adjacent but taken all the way to POP to Ricardo Limon hospital - maybe his life could have been saved!

that bewilders me, but then again, maybe it does not. maybe this was a child from a family of limited means, and no insurance. CMC is probably private, while Limardo is a public hospital. i would not want to go to Limardo for a hangnail...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CMC is private.

The government has promised a new hospital near the POP airport for years.

A charity is building a children's hospital in that region and construction has started.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some of the propane tanks in the ocean environment can rust quickly & should be checked, especially the bottom - but that still doesn't explain the explosion unless there was a nearby flame. But if your hear or smell a leak get rid of the tank.

Sep 4, 2012
For the most part, the LP tanks in service are time bombs -- all in excelled bad shape, corrosion, dents, poor handling, no maintenance, no care.

Transporting these things in a motoconcho, bicycle, wagons, hand-trucks or anything that has wheels is a daily journey everywhere in the island.

Am surprised we don't read about it more often, pure luck if you asked me.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Upon arriving here my nefarious Canadian Friend ensured I had new Propane tanks for the house. Not being from the Maritimes he did not know the phrase ''a coat of paint covers a multitude of sin''.... the ''new'' orange tank was outdated three years previously. I won't even go into the dialogue, but I did buy new tanks for the homes. Never will bet used to the moto-concho pick up and delivery of propane tanks. Just an accident waiting to happen (Again).
Unbelievable.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The other problem is that propane is heavier than air and will pool in areas that aren't well ventilated. We always close the tank valve at night.

Sep 4, 2012
The other problem is that propane is heavier than air and will pool in areas that aren't well ventilated. We always close the tank valve at night.

add to that the pressure at which is contained within the tank and many houses actually have the tanks right inside the kitchen, Kamakazes just ready to blow themselves up or better yet, Dominicans Talibans?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I know the father and little boy he was a gem!! The father is a hard worker who worked for police and 911  the father freelanced as electrician and the boy would go on jobs with him..little boy was playing with propane tank and light source was near very tragic
:(

Sep 4, 2012
I know the father and little boy he was a gem!! The father is a hard worker who worked for police and 911  the father freelanced as electrician and the boy would go on jobs with him..little boy was playing with propane tank and light source was near very tragic
:(

Did the tank blow up, did the kid die due to burns, what exactly occur?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The tank exploded...father is distraught...had three jobs to make ends meet truly sad , kid was very polite sad...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I live very near by and it was the loudest "bang" I've ever heard. I thought 2 transports collided. This kids would probably still be alive if Sosua had a public hospital, he lost too much blood on the way to POP. Also, tanks do not belong in a house. A sad situation that could have been avoided.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just to be clear tank was outside not inside ..if the tank was inside walls would of been blown out..I’ve seen what a 100lbs tank does to house with construction heaters when failure happens ...

Status
Not open for further replies.