In desperate need of better internet - help please?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
At the moment I have the Orange flybox mounted on an antenna high on my roof - it works but not well enough for what I need. I need to be able to have reliable internet to make Skype calls etc etc.

Does anyone know if Dolfy is still able to supply satellite internet via DishNetwork?

Alternatively, who else would be able to arrange better internet connections for me? I am in the hills towards Jamao beyond Sabaneta but in a bit of a dip in the mountain which is a major issue. I have exhausted all providers that I know of and neither Claro nor Delancer will bring cable here to me as I am too far off the beaten track.

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated - thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would try Dolfy. Lost his number, but I assume he still lives at his house in Sosua. I once paid about $600 US to a Claro tech to run a wire to my house in La Mulata about 15 years ago when no one had internet up there. That worked fine. Don't know how far you are but everything has a price here.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
At the moment I have the Orange flybox mounted on an antenna high on my roof - it works but not well enough for what I need. I need to be able to have reliable internet to make Skype calls etc etc.

I had one of those things from Orange a few years ago, and even recall hanging it to a tree on our backyard once when I was in an important meeting and it just refused to work... Needless to say it went to trash... the flybox, not the meeting...

If Claro has any coverage where you are, the small black internet movil box (Huawei) does provide a good connection, even for VOIP calls if you plug the box with a USB cable to your laptop. As far as I know, they only sell plans as per amount of data and not as per time of usage, but I have found it reliable back-up connection.

Feb 7, 2007
You might need to work with someone who can set up a multi hop microwave connection for you using ubiquity equipment, unless you get line of sight from your antenna to a place with good internet connection. Then you need to arrange with owners of such place to allow place your internet connection there (fiber optic or DSL modem) and then microwave the connection with Ubiquity nano to your place.

I know people who could do this, but they are on the east coast here.