Whale Watching?

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
How's the whale watching been this year?
Went last year and loved it.

Seas are still a bit rough... whales are always plentifull this time of year, it's just that you have to pick a nice day; calm waters

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm having a whale of a time....

I can see them from my porch....and there are plenty
They're bigger than the waves...

but Yes - I'm not going to bounce around out there in this stuff

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I haven't see any yet this year as the sea is very rough. Hoping it settles down soon as they are fasinating to watch.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm having a whale of a time....

I can see them from my porch....and there are plenty
They're bigger than the waves...

but Yes - I'm not going to bounce around out there in this stuff

Just thinking about it makes me feel sick. Went out with my dad about 4 years ago in rough seas. Thank god I'd taken a good dose of dramamine, I needed it! Was only able to see a few fins and tails, nothing compare to the magic you get on a calm day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Canuck Bill

They return to the Outer Banks from here

Like you & I .... they're Canadian
albeit Newfies , most likely

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We are heading there the 1st week of March 2018. Would the whales still be there in great numbers?

If you decide to go book with Kim Beddall. Her tour company has a decent size boat and the tour is very informative. You can check her out on-line. It is a long ride from POP. You're looking at around 3-4 hours drive to Samana City. Its's a fairly straight shot east on Rt 5. Good luck and good travels.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
If you decide to go book with Kim Beddall. Her tour company has a decent size boat and the tour is very informative. You can check her out on-line. It is a long ride from POP. You're looking at around 3-4 hours drive to Samana City. Its's a fairly straight shot east on Rt 5. Good luck and good travels.

Thank you. We will likely leave the resort early and spend a night at a hotel in the area and drive back the next day.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you. We will likely leave the resort early and spend a night at a hotel in the area and drive back the next day.

Great idea. I would drive back to Las Terrenas after Whale watching. Its about a 50 minutes ride and a much better choice of small hotels and restaurants. For one night I would look at the Aleisi Hotel on Playa Las Ballenas in LT. Good luck and good travels.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Great idea. I would drive back to Las Terrenas after Whale watching. Its about a 50 minutes ride and a much better choice of small hotels and restaurants. For one night I would look at the Aleisi Hotel on Playa Las Ballenas in LT. Good luck and good travels.

Thank you for the recommendation