Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The decline of European flights to Puerto Plata airport

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The decline of European flights to Puerto Plata airport

As some of the regulars that know me, I work at POP airport as an aircraft engineer for the airlines.  I've just seen my summer 18 program and it's quite alarming and shows a significant downturn from previous years.

Condor will stop flying altogether from May until October.
    Eurowings will reduce from three to two flights per week, even though there was speculation that they would fill the gap left by the demise of Air Berlin
    Thomson will suspend their MAN flights later this Autumn
    No sign of Thomas Cook from UK returning.
    No sign of Jetairfly from Belgium returning.
    No sign of Arkefly from Holland returning.
    The French, Finns and Scandis only fly in the winter.
    The Russian carrier Nordwind are set to continue with the 10/11 day rotation.

Those in the know are citing the exorbitant operating and fuel costs out of POP, plus the limited availability of quality accommodation at POP as the root cause.

A real shame...........

2. Likes frank12, cobraboy, ramesses, Bred, beachcomber and 3 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s shift... different airlines pick up volume ...hotel sells new owner shifts market from  to Europe to now North America (example)... it’s happening in cities here in DR my neighbors are more North American where 10-15 yrs ago UK & German just different demographic 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What is also curious is how will the Aldiana (Breezes) renovation fit in with European Flights curtailing year round trips. Since 45% of the ownership is a UK company maybe another flight plan is in the works?

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    As some of the regulars that know me, I work at POP airport as an aircraft engineer for the airlines.  I've just seen my summer 18 program and it's quite alarming and shows a significant downturn from previous years.
    how about flights from US and canada? are the connections getting better or worse on that end?

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Those in the know are citing the exorbitant operating and fuel costs out of POP, plus the limited availability of quality accommodation at POP as the root cause.

A real shame...........

It’s price of doing business no different really it’s passed to consumer.. look at Toronto YYZ the most expensive fees in the world
    Yet west jet flies YYZ-POP and they are thriving growing... 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon the airlines wanna use the planes for more lucrative destinations, maybe demand for POP declined.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The loss of the flights is a result of the loss of the tourists.... not the reverse

If there were enough tourists - flights would continue

Post #6 above recalls the JetBlue / AZS issue.
    They changed the route to Punta Cana from AZS to get more revenue...
    From both people and fares

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the main issues is the sale of the three RIU hotels to a Spanish chain as far as the cancellation of the UK flights is concerned. TUI and Thomson have stopped booking them, and people who had booked to go there from Gatwick, London have now been moved to a Manchester departure until those flights stop too. Maybe when the new owners take over, new contracts will be agreed?

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    how about flights from US and canada? are the connections getting better or worse on that end?

I use jfk and newark, miami and Charlotte. Used to fly United exclusively, now only American. Everything now seems more full most of the time, but could be my imagination. Or it could be because I'm getting older and crankier.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Numbers are up tourist wise not down it’s just business from different places...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast