Is the Puerto Plata Highrise Mania on the Horizon?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It was a matter of time. A new touristic-residential project named Green World is currently under construction within the Playa Dorada beach resort complex. This project consist of 7 buildings of 7 floors each, in effect becoming the first true highrises on the north coast, albeit on the lower height end. This also has implications for the city of Puerto Plata itself. While it’s true the project is within a restrict access complex and outside of the buit up city area, Playa Dorada actually sits within the municipality of Puerto Plata with the small river east of the complex representing the eastern municipal border. 

Was the height limit secretly modified and now highrises are allowed in Puerto Plata? 

Will the malecón and Cofresí areas see the next boom of highrises? 

Questions that are still not answered.

a08ep2.jpg

9gvmsl.jpg

President Danilo Medina was at the construction initiation ceremony with the Dominican investors:

[video=youtube;rrX9KjhzIZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrX9KjhzIZo[/video]

* I’m considering these buildings as highrises because Dominican construction regulation dictates that any building with more than 4 floors must incorporate elevators. If a building needs elevators, it means it has too many floors for a healthy adult to comfortable reach the higher floors via stairs only. 

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Details of the project that might initiate the highrise boom in Puerto Plata:

[video=youtube;3lkjuTFqVZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkjuTFqVZ8[/video]

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It well underway in Playa Dorada. Blue JakTar has two buildings up of 7 floors each. More 7 story buildings are planned. Riviera Azul has a 5 story going up right now and a second 5 story is planned.

I'll make the prediction right now. I expect you'll see 5 - 7 stories on Sosua Beach before it's all said and done. Why build 3 when you can build 6 or 7?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
......... Why build 3 when you can build 6 or 7?

Because that seems to be the way that it’s done here. Built a (partially) completed ground floor. Then add a totally unfinished second floor with rebar sticking out top for an envisioned, but never constructed third floor.
Then let it sit......and sit.....and sit, until everything is in disrepair and overgrown.
Then abandon and begin the whole process over again someplace else. (;-)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Very compelling that there does not seem to be major objections to these proposals, as there were to similar plans discussed within a thread of the same manner regarding Punta Cana.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
. I expect you'll see 5 - 7 stories on Sosua Beach before it's all said and done. Why build 3 when you can build 6 or 7?

Casa Marina Beach in Sosua has buildings with at least 4 floors, some even have 5 floors. Been there a couple of times in my other life and I was always asking for a room at the top floor. So I remember the stairs going back and forth.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Perhaps an example could be given where I would think “yes, that makes sense”, but first thought is... why would anyone promote building up, when there is so much land on the north coast to expand outward.

Yes there’s land...prime land is another question 20yrs from now we will be saying remember...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes there’s land...prime land is another question 20yrs from now we will be saying remember...
Been watching Playa Dorada,”mutate”, for many years now. Resorts stayed while their owners came and went. Some were refurbished. Others plod along with very little changes other than a coat of paint. Lifestyles was turfed out a few years ago. That’s why they moved down the road to Cabarete. Condo development is encroaching on many resort areas. Other resorts are going to time share, club membership, or are being converted to condos. The politically well connected, very rich DR families are driving the building boom. The main draw is the security, the wide expanse of beach, the golf course, proximity to Puerto Plata with its malecon, supermercados and many restaurants, and proximity to the airport. The only other large area with gated security is Costambar which has limited beach access and Lifestyles  Cofresi where Lifestyles is trying to displace everyone in a land grab because they are pressed for beach space. I liked the Playa Dorada area but it is fast becoming a small scale Punta Cana. Time to look elsewhere.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
How long will it be before lifestyle gets that piece of land behind the golf coarse and expands into Costambar? They are almost there right now. And that gives them more beach and easy acces to the golf coarse.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Casa marina is 3-4 floors anything above 4 floors requires elevator by law

Lived in a Condo on the 16th floor of a beachfront condo in Puerto Rico for several years - Elevators went out frequently because the building was old. Then I could walk up 16 floors but it wasn't comfortable then at age 50 - now that thought going in and out a couple times a day and maybe with groceries -naw I don't think so.
Nice thing is above 7 floors mosquitoes don't fly (nor 2nd-story burglars).
Just go to Condado and Isla Verde, Puerto Rico to see how high rises ruin beach fronts

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
If they improve the flight options from South Florida to POP I would look into staying North Coast. Until then I will continue to go to Santo domingo airport and local areas for my beach rentals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they improve the flight options from South Florida to POP I would look into staying North Coast. Until then I will continue to go to Santo domingo airport and local areas for my beach rentals.

With more resorts being built on the north coast, flight options may improve. When I moved to the DR 2003, there were far more options than there are now with Punta Cana being the main reason for the decrease.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
With more resorts being built on the north coast, flight options may improve. When I moved to the DR 2003, there were far more options than there are now with Punta Cana being the main reason for the decrease.

Resorts ebb and flow that is normal. I know just in my short 16 year experience with the North Coast things have changed.
Crime seems to have become more violent, due to more drugs and more rude hookers.
I won't even go into Puerto Plata at night and I used to like to eat there.

I am nervous about driving Hwy 5 at night and I am sure many other Europeans and N. Americans and some Dominicans feel similar. Maybe this is a big reason tourism has dropped off ?
Plus it used to be inexpensive - now it is as pricey as other, even nicer, resort areas

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Resorts ebb and flow that is normal. I know just in my short 16 year experience with the North Coast things have changed.
Crime seems to have become more violent, due to more drugs and more rude hookers.
I won't even go into Puerto Plata at night and I used to like to eat there.

I am nervous about driving Hwy 5 at night and I am sure many other Europeans and N. Americans and some Dominicans feel similar. Maybe this is a big reason tourism has dropped off ?
Plus it used to be inexpensive - now it is as pricey as other, even nicer, resort areas

I like the North Coast area from Luperon to La Isabella and on to Monti Christi. It’s still relatively undisturbed except for the old resort on the outskirts of Luperon. Every now and then I hear rumours about someone reopening the old resort and recently saw plans for a new resort in the Luperon area. The impact on the Luperon economy would be massive and it is desperately needed. On the positive side, the new 24 hour power line is in place. The road from Imbert to Luperon is the main detractor. Any future tourist development hinges on a significant rebuild of the road. It won’t happen as long as that part of the coast is overshadowed by places like Playa Dorada and Cabarete. Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. I prefer the undeveloped beach environments in the Luperon area.