Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tourist visa extension - from US

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    If AMET was actually on to the 30 day license validity, would they not have given you a ticket for driving without a valid license?

Right. The guy was just trying to get money.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Windy -
    they may KNOW the rules.... enforcing them is another issue

Why ticket if you can pocket the $$ yourself ??

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    If AMET was actually on to the 30 day license validity, would they not have given you a ticket for driving without a valid license?
    It seems obvious, to me, that the poster has a dr DL........

But it obviously didnt seem obvious to the Amet guy that a gringo had a dr DL......

But maybe i misunderstood and he bribed his way out of a ticket.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, I don't have a DR DL, only from the US... I plan to stay in the DR indefinitely so I would like to do things legally.  I have a Dominican daughter here.  I'm looking to extend as long as possible while looking for other ways to gain more permanent residency if possible.  One question might be, if I simply leave the country for a few days, can I then return getting another 30 days?  This happens a lot in Asian countries, they're called visa runs

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
    hi, I don't have a DR DL, only from the US... I plan to stay in the DR indefinitely so I would like to do things legally.  I have a Dominican daughter here.  I'm looking to extend as long as possible while looking for other ways to gain more permanent residency if possible.  One question might be, if I simply leave the country for a few days, can I then return getting another 30 days?  This happens a lot in Asian countries, they're called visa runs
    The answer, i think, would be yes. Like say a few days to the US then back again. And yes it would also reset your "right " to drive on a US DL.

It could be more tricky if you plan on doing it the Haiti "way". ( as in crossimg the border with haiti and back ).

please note, this is not legal advise, but just common sense.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

even Pto Rico is 'out' for visa purposes
    closer & cheaper
    a ferry trip will do it... car included

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    The answer, i think, would be yes. Like say a few days to the US then back again. And yes it would also reset your "right " to drive on a US DL.

It could be more tricky if you plan on doing it the Haiti "way". ( as in crossimg the border with haiti and back ).

please note, this is not legal advise, but just common sense.

I'm thinking more of another Caribbean island, but the US is possible as well...

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopping borders every so often doesn't sound like a very rewarding way to live. Have you contacted the DR consulate near you and asked them if you can qualify for residency?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

jul10 knows all those other island options

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Hopping borders every so often doesn't sound like a very rewarding way to live. Have you contacted the DR consulate near you and asked them if you can qualify for residency?

right, but in the short term I don't mind especially if I have plans to do so anyway... but right, long term I do not want this.  I'm looking for a long term solution.  will look at the consulate of course for permanent residency.  thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast