tourist visa extension - from US

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
hi, sorry if I missed this info, but have looked around and the data looks a bit dated.  I'm wondering where you need to go to get a regular tourist visa extended.  I'm a US citizen and paid the $10 on entry for 30 days, I would like to extend that for another 30-60 days if possible.  can I simply go to POP airport and do this?  I'm in cabarete at the moment.  many thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That has been discussed pretty much "ad nauseum" and it is not possible to extend your tourist visa - even though the DGM website says you can. Members here have gone right to DGM in SD and they would not give the extension.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
That has been discussed pretty much "ad nauseum" and it is not possible to extend your tourist visa - even though the DGM website says you can. Members here have gone right to DGM in SD and they would not give the extension.

yeah, i’ve read a bit, and have seen locations and prices for extensions but never a denial they exist :) so what does one do?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One comes and does all "the risky stuff" in the first 30 days while covered by the tourist card. After 30 days keep your head down, stay out of trouble, drive only when necessary and if asked at a roadside checkpoint, you lie. The randomness of life dictates that while you most probably can come, stay and pay at the airport when you leave, the current immigration situation for visitors offers no guarantee that everything will be sunshine and palm trees if you overstay the time allowed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
yeah, i’ve read a bit, and have seen locations and prices for extensions but never a denial they exist :) so what does one do?

Go the any international airport as advised by DGM to extend.

UBICACIÓN DEL ÁREA QUE BRINDARA EL SERVICIO

· Av. George Washington, Esq. Héroes de Luperón Centro de los Héroes. Santo Domingo R.D.
· Todos los Aeropuertos del país

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go the any international airport as advised by DGM to extend.

UBICACIÓN DEL ÁREA QUE BRINDARA EL SERVICIO

· Av. George Washington, Esq. Héroes de Luperón Centro de los Héroes. Santo Domingo R.D.
· Todos los Aeropuertos del país

Nobody has been successful doing this at an airport or a DGM office. Waste of time and effort until the DR gets it stuff together. People have posted in the other threads that they have tried and failed. They were told to pay the exit fee on departure.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Want to see the DR? Go to all the places that will not issue you a Visa extension that people post here.

Want to enjoy your visit? Pay this no mind and pay the fee when you leave...................

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Nobody has been successful doing this at an airport or a DGM office. Waste of time and effort until the DR gets it stuff together. People have posted in the other threads that they have tried and failed. They were told to pay the exit fee on departure.

The DR Immigration will never get it together is my bet. Mexico gives 6 months, Colombia gives 90 days then you can add 90 days easily by paying $30 and applying for an extension or even easier just cross into Ecuador, Peru, Brazil or Venezuela (if you're brave) for a day trip and come back.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
AMET is on to the 30 days rule on your license. I was stopped and one of the first questions was how long have I been in the country.
It was a stop for money and the cop looked long and hard for a problem.
Ended up telling me my registration was not valid. I Just renewed it.
I just sat there looking like a gringo.
Finally he gave up and we left.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AMET is on to the 30 days rule on your license. I was stopped and one of the first questions was how long have I been in the country.
It was a stop for money and the cop looked long and hard for a problem.
Ended up telling me my registration was not valid. I Just renewed it.
I just sat there looking like a gringo.
Finally he gave up and we left.

If AMET was actually on to the 30 day license validity, would they not have given you a ticket for driving without a valid license?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy -
they may KNOW the rules.... enforcing them is another issue

Why ticket if you can pocket the $$ yourself ??

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If AMET was actually on to the 30 day license validity, would they not have given you a ticket for driving without a valid license?

It seems obvious, to me, that the poster has a dr DL........

But it obviously didnt seem obvious to the Amet guy that a gringo had a dr DL......

But maybe i misunderstood and he bribed his way out of a ticket.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
hi, I don't have a DR DL, only from the US... I plan to stay in the DR indefinitely so I would like to do things legally.  I have a Dominican daughter here.  I'm looking to extend as long as possible while looking for other ways to gain more permanent residency if possible.  One question might be, if I simply leave the country for a few days, can I then return getting another 30 days?  This happens a lot in Asian countries, they're called visa runs :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
hi, I don't have a DR DL, only from the US... I plan to stay in the DR indefinitely so I would like to do things legally.  I have a Dominican daughter here.  I'm looking to extend as long as possible while looking for other ways to gain more permanent residency if possible.  One question might be, if I simply leave the country for a few days, can I then return getting another 30 days?  This happens a lot in Asian countries, they're called visa runs :)

The answer, i think, would be yes. Like say a few days to the US then back again. And yes it would also reset your "right " to drive on a US DL.

It could be more tricky if you plan on doing it the Haiti "way". ( as in crossimg the border with haiti and back ).

please note, this is not legal advise, but just common sense.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
The answer, i think, would be yes. Like say a few days to the US then back again. And yes it would also reset your "right " to drive on a US DL.

It could be more tricky if you plan on doing it the Haiti "way". ( as in crossimg the border with haiti and back ).

please note, this is not legal advise, but just common sense.

I'm thinking more of another Caribbean island, but the US is possible as well...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hopping borders every so often doesn't sound like a very rewarding way to live. Have you contacted the DR consulate near you and asked them if you can qualify for residency?

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Hopping borders every so often doesn't sound like a very rewarding way to live. Have you contacted the DR consulate near you and asked them if you can qualify for residency?

right, but in the short term I don't mind especially if I have plans to do so anyway... but right, long term I do not want this.  I'm looking for a long term solution.  will look at the consulate of course for permanent residency.  thanks!