Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: tourist visa extension - from US

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I read somewhere that an Int'l driver's license is not recognized in the DR. The expiry date of a foreign license (be that from the US, Canada, UK or even an Int'l license) is not the issue. The issue is that visitors may only use a non-DR license for a finite period of time be that 30 days to possibly 90 days depending on who you talk to.

After that period of usability passes, only a DR driver's license is acceptable. There may be some obscure solutions for foreign diplomats and others working here without obtaining residency but a DR license is not available to tourists or visitors without a visa that implies living in the country.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 02-12-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Great idea though I thought overseas drivers license were good for 90 days?
    I believe the law as written still states 90 days. However most visitors cannot currently stay in the country legally beyond 30 days. One's illegal status would preclude using your foreign license beyond the time you are allowed to be in the country.

If I had to guess, the law was intended to address those with residency or another visa that entitles them to live here; They are given a maximum of 90 days to obtain a DR license as opposed to using their foreign license indefinitely.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 02-12-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhanson1 View Post
    I cannot understand why so many of us chronic overstayers risk driving here after the Tourist Card expires without a valid license. Simply pay $20 and get an International Driver's Permit. It's valid for a year, and I get one every year when I return to the United States. But it can even be handled by mail if you don't want to go back to the States. It's issued by AAA for U.S. citizens, but I assume it available in other countries as well. The only requirement is that you must have a valid drivers license in the country where you are from. Obviously this won't help you if you get into some kind of other trouble after you have overstayed your 30-day Tourist Card, but at least it eliminates the risk of driving without a valid license. I have reviewed this with two different local lawyers, and both of them confirmed that this International Driver's Permit is valid here in the DR. Am i missing something? https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
    The international drivers permit you reference here is NOT a valid license. It is simply an official translation of your current DL from your home state/country into ten different languages.

The DR does recognize the IDP. But your foreign DL is not valid after 30 days, and as the IDP is not a stand alone document, and does not take the place of a valid DL, you would not be driving legally on day 31.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhanson1 View Post
    I cannot understand why so many of us chronic overstayers risk driving here after the Tourist Card expires without a valid license. Simply pay $20 and get an International Driver's Permit. It's valid for a year, and I get one every year when I return to the United States. But it can even be handled by mail if you don't want to go back to the States. It's issued by AAA for U.S. citizens, but I assume it available in other countries as well. The only requirement is that you must have a valid drivers license in the country where you are from. Obviously this won't help you if you get into some kind of other trouble after you have overstayed your 30-day Tourist Card, but at least it eliminates the risk of driving without a valid license. I have reviewed this with two different local lawyers, and both of them confirmed that this International Driver's Permit is valid here in the DR. Am i missing something? https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

because regardless of what licensing you use it’s 90 days bylaw...but know one cares here TBH..just as 30 days tourist cards overstaying...insurances doesn’t care either my neighbor here 15 yrs hit Moto concho they paid...so we can either put tin foil hats on and hide in closet or simply enjoy a cold one and beach...choice is ours to make , I’m going for beer,sadly only beer and snow where I am now

5. Likes SKY liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I believe the law as written still states 90 days. However most visitors cannot currently stay in the country legally beyond 30 days. One's illegal status would preclude using your foreign license beyond the time you are allowed to be in the country.

If I had to guess, the law was intended to address those with residency or another visa that entitles them to live here; They are given a maximum of 90 days to obtain a DR license as opposed to using their foreign license indefinitely.
    Interesting and intriguing. Why past day 30 would the overseas license is deemed unlawful is that actually a DR law?

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

The foreign license isn't unlawful after 30 days, you being in the country and by extension you driving is what is illegal. Technically you can't legally drive here if you are not legally in the country.

Yah, yah, yah, people drive for longer and get away with it, but "do you feel lucky punk, do you?"

I can't believe an overstayer being involved in collision with serious injuries or fatalities being given a pass for driving without a valid license. Just don't crash I guess.

This is the crux of being in the country beyond the validity of your visa. If you don't have legal standing to be in the country, you don't have standing to drive, some banks will not open accounts for foreigners anymore, some insurers can be problematic and officials extend their hands at every opportunity.

8. Likes JasonD liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

not a situation I want to put to the test....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for correcting my misconceptions about the validity of an International Driving Permit in the DR after 30 days. I won't waste my $20 annual fee anymore, and definitely getting to work on my residency before something unfortunate happens.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article in the DR1 Daily News today. Apparently, Haitians are able to get 5-year multiple entry visas for $350. There sure would be plently of gringos that would love to be able to get some sort of similar deal!

Dominican visas for Haitians now include compulsory insurance

The Dominican mission in Haiti has explained the reasons for the increase in the cost of travel visas for Haitian nationals to the Dominican Republic. As of 2 February 2018, the visa was increased from US$230 to US$350 for the multiple entry Dominican visa for a duration of five years, as reported in Diario Libre. Diario Libre reports that the insurance covers the repatriation of foreigners in necessary cases, including death, medical expenses and medical coverage in case of a pre-existing sickness for up to US$10,000 and medical emergency expenses in case of a pregnancy for up to US$300.

As reported in Haiti Libre, César Antonio Cuevas Pérez, counselor minister at the Dominican mission in Haiti, explained that the increase is to cover a newly required insurance policy of US$150 that applies to all types of visa (tourist, resident and student) regardless of the nationality of the applicant, with the exception of those holding a North American visa (USA and Canada) and for the 26 countries of the European Union (Schengen visa).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that an Int'l driver's license is not recognized in the DR. The expiry date of a foreign license (be that from the US, Canada, UK or even an Int'l license) is not the issue. The issue is that visitors may only use a non-DR license for a finite period of time be that 30 days to possibly 90 days depending on who you talk to.

After that period of usability passes, only a DR driver's license is acceptable. There may be some obscure solutions for foreign diplomats and others working here without obtaining residency but a DR license is not available to tourists or visitors without a visa that implies living in the country.
    It is 30 days for your foreign license being valid and was confirmed by DR1's lawyer. After 30 days on a tourist card you are illegal so your license is also not legal. How can you be illegal in the country and still drive legally? The international driving license is of no use in the DR as mentioned by several other posters. Will you get away with driving for longer than 30 days on a foreign license? Probably....

As for the change in the Haitian visa, I see they are finally doing "something" on that situation. I suspect this will lead to changes on other visas as well. Let us see what happens since it is long overdue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234