Some stuff from Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, if there are U.S. citizens reading this, please send me a PM. I just want to see how many of us are around the Santiago area.

Second, we have been eating out more frequently, mainly because of the weird hours my wife works. and we have found a couple of places worthy of recommendation.

There is now a craze in Santiago for Food Trucks. An obvious influence from the States. But that said, there are several that are pretty interesting. For us, there is a new one called "Blue House" and it is on Rafael Vidal, almost directly across the street from the Lumijor Bakery. Opens at 6:00 and has three options (yes, it is smaller than others and a bit more chic): Venezuelan, Mexican and our favorite, "Sión Madrina" which features some interesting hamburgers. They are filled with bacon, ripe plantains, and other options...really mouth-watering. There is a place that has beer and liquors also.

Another place is a small Chinese place, not a "pica pollo" but not a restaurant either. It is called "Pony" Pollo and it is on 27 Febrero, just past Centro León on your right side, and on a corner. The menu is NOT extensive. Of course they have fried chicken, and chicken strips and baked chicken, together with fries and fried plantains, eggplant, chop suey, chow mein, sweet and sour chicken (not pork), sauteed pork and a couple of other things we have not tried, together with different salads. Prices are very low but the food is good! I hope someone tries it and reports back here.

Thirdly, I will be posting in the Real Estate Section of DR1.com some apartments, new, that I would like to get sold. Five are in the city (near the Central Bank) and 2 are in a more rural setting.

And lastly, my neighbor has just had a litter of 9 German Shepard (95% pure) puppies. They are adorable! He wants RD3,000 for them, vaccinated and de-wormed. I will see if I can post some pictures.

That is it for me for now. Have a good day, all y'alls.

HB

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I keep an apartment in villa Olga...I'm quite partial to the sushi at Sushi Ban in Los jardines or the food truck on Rafael vidal.

The Giny Gourmet that replaced the Mexican place Agave in villa Olga is not good...hope they go bust and a better place moves in.

But I'm not exactly a refined palette, at least once a week I enjoy a pizza empanada from Lalin with a Presidente... Punto delivery and colmados are an amazing invention!!!

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Hillbilly i am in Santiago for months at a time when not working. I like to try new places also. I would ll
Ike to meet up sometime. And would be good to spend some time to make new American friends.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
BBQ Express in Los Jardines has excellent 12-14oz Angus Sirloin at $900 tax everything included plus decent Argentinian wine at $900 taxes included.

Muuu on Avenida Benito Juares near Saga offers real cheap bbq food

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Hello Hillbilly,
I know you said PM you but I have already written that I live in Santiago when commending the job Abel is doing.
I like Tablon, across from Monumento, Lasagna at Aroma del Sol, same area and KGB. Lately I've been eating in more often, wish I was a better cook.
Let me know when you want to get together for a cold beer (I prefer places that serve Bohemia, I'm not a Presidente fan).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hello Hillbilly,

I live here in Santiago. Always up for trying a new / different eats.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
food trucks are the thing indeed. friends of ours started their own place, also on rafael vidal, next to cabanas pegasus. it's called food truck neighbourhood and there are three trucks there: argentinian stuff, burgers and sushi. all are quite good.

there is also a crepe place on close to bellon. i have not been there but they came to puerto plata for xmas food fest and the crepes were delicious so i look forward to eating at santiago location too...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
DV8 the burger place in that food park is one of my students'! We went to check it out and it was pretty good.

There is another burger place - hazlosimple - that has very interesting burger options, but all tasty.

We don't eat out a lot - there is a DELICIOUS roast pork place next to the cemetery in El Ingenio (also chicken), and carnitas is always a good stop.

We take foreign guests to Oche Tu Gusto in front of the teatro del cibao - a pretty diverse menu for friend crap (riki, empanada, quesadilla, alitas, yaroa, etc...) and good prices. also very clean.

That pony pollo place has been there for YEARS! Good food. Glad to here it is still affordable to the residents of Hoyo de Caimito