How do you stop your shoes going mouldy?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In these wet and wintery days, I notice that when I take my shoes out of the wardrobe, they are covered in green mould.  In fact anything leather goes mouldy including belts.

What tips are there to help prevent it?

I've heard about putting a bowl of salt or a bag of coffee beans in the wardrobe, but haven't tried those yet.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We use Absorbente de Humedad that you can by in most hardware stores. Takes the moisture out plus the odor. You can get a number of different types including ones that are on a clothes hanger.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In playero you can buy a humidity containers that absorb moisture when full of water just toss replace for leather clean good normally and wipe some WD40  on leather shoes and belts...works great smell of wd40 will be gone in 10 min , great on stainless steel appliance polishing keeping fingerprints also at bay.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
We use Absorbente de Humedad that you can by in most hardware stores. Takes the moisture out plus the odor. You can get a number of different types including ones that are on a clothes hanger.
Bob, could you show a picture. Tks.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have an exhaust fan in the closet....
good circulation helps - might not cure 100% of the cases - but helps

Even fan for air movement might work

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
La sirena sells closec. Its cheap, very cheap ( like 100 pesos or less ).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I use candles and small space heater I picked up
on Amazon. Dries out everthing. No complaints.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
They were out last time I was there but yes, good stuff and refillable.

Oooop..probably my fault.......;)

I just scoop the whole lot into my trolleys, the refills that is ( around 40 pesos ) as I have a lot of built-in closets. :)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My wardrobe has a wooden louvre door, so if I were to put any kind of damp absorber in there, it would also try to absorb the humidity of the whole room. I fear it would kind of defeat the object.

This time of year, everything gets damp.  I run the ac every now and then and you can see how much water from the air it removes, but it doesn't stop the mould from growing on leather.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My wardrobe has a wooden louvre door, so if I were to put any kind of damp absorber in there, it would also try to absorb the humidity of the whole room. I fear it would kind of defeat the object.

This time of year, everything gets damp.  I run the ac every now and then and you can see how much water from the air it removes, but it doesn't stop the mould from growing on leather.

How about taping something on the inside of the doors to seal them off? You can probably find something pleasant looking. Sounds much easier than cleaning mold off of shoes and belts. I had this problem once. Put a damp-rid in the closet and problem has been solved ever since.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Beeza, did you try any of the suggested products? I’m asking because our car interior was covered with a thin film of mold/mildew when we returned. It’s never happened before. Guessing we need to put something in it when we leave in May.

Anyone else ever have that problem? Car was in garage, car cover, same as always

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Beeza, did you try any of the suggested products? I’m asking because our car interior was covered with a thin film of mold/mildew when we returned. It’s never happened before. Guessing we need to put something in it when we leave in May.

Anyone else ever have that problem? Car was in garage, car cover, same as always

It happened to me once suv was closed 3 months aug-oct now the Gardner airs car out leather seats were covered in crap and use damp rid no problems 3 yrs and also use wd40 on cloth for leather keeps it from cracking, also use battery tender. Put some
Stabilizer in fuel and top off fuel to keep condensation out of tank .

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
No, no, no.  You guys got it all wrong. On this I truly am an expert.  Catholic school, leather shoes.  Shined regularly.  Put together a good kit of your own.  Three brushes, cleaner, tin can polish, old toothbrush. The cleaner comes in a tall black bottle with a western motif.  You can buy it at cavenders.com. Houston based.  The brushing and the cleaner will take care of it.  

I’m about to upgrade my shoe scene. What with brexit and all I’m hoping for a good deal on church’s or Loake shoes. They can be re-soled forever.  I do plan on a decade of use.  

Polishing shoes is my zen.  I do it for my friends when they visit.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner.  16 oz bottle.  A little goes a long way.  It’s kinda ammonia-ey and will def take car of the mold problem.

Now you solve my moth problem!