Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely-
    The reaction/response to the problem indicates deeper issues are at work - or have been at work - for quite awhile.

Bad PR...and charities like OXFAM rely on their PR.
    One of their biggest assets

2. Likes Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To me this is no news at all. There are prostitutes who make themselves available to foreigners in Haiti? That's hardly news - half the prostitutes in the DR come from Haiti. The girls who do this do so with the full knowledge of boyfriends, husbands and often families. The girls are not exploited, they are delighted to earn the money. There is terrible unemployment in Haiti and this is one way a girl can earn money to feed the inevitable children. And in the articles I have read, nowhere do I see that there is any evidence of underage girls being involved - just the word that it is a possibility. Hardly enough to call anyone guilty.

4. Likes beachcomber, Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    To me this is no news at all. There are prostitutes who make themselves available to foreigners in Haiti? That's hardly news - half the prostitutes in the DR come from Haiti. The girls who do this do so with the full knowledge of boyfriends, husbands and often families. The girls are not exploited, they are delighted to earn the money. There is terrible unemployment in Haiti and this is one way a girl can earn money to feed the inevitable children. And in the articles I have read, nowhere do I see that there is any evidence of underage girls being involved - just the word that it is a possibility. Hardly enough to call anyone guilty.
    i am in full agreement with you. i see no evidence whatsoever of either underage girls, or refusal to pay the agreeed price, and stiffing the women...oops..

Post Thanks / Like

It's still not acceptable for people working for an organisation that explicitly condemns sexual exploitation to engage in this behaviour. There is a code of conduct that they sign and they are in breach of it.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    It's still not acceptable for people working for an organisation that explicitly condemns sexual exploitation to engage in this behaviour. There is a code of conduct that they sign and they are in breach of it.
    Chiri, i realize that we are on opposite sides of the sexual divide, so i want to tread lightly here...do you think that a guy going to Sosua and picking up a chica is exploiting her?

8. Likes Squat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    Chiri, i realize that we are on opposite sides of the sexual divide, so i want to tread lightly here...do you think that a guy going to Sosua and picking up a chica is exploiting her?
    That is a separate argument. In this case the punters did not go to a country at their own expense like tourists. They were on the payroll, in representation of, and using premises paid for by an organisation whose ethical code of conduct explicitly forbids this behaviour, and which actively campaigns against it.

www.DR1.com

10. Likes bob saunders, Russell, Caonabo, Lucifer, Auryn and 1 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a separate argument. In this case the punters did not go to a country at their own expense like tourists. They were on the payroll, in representation of, and using premises paid for by an organisation whose ethical code of conduct explicitly forbids this behaviour, and which actively campaigns against it.
    you do have a point, insofar as the intent and charter of Oxfam is concerned..

12. Likes Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    The girls are not exploited, they are delighted to earn the money. There is terrible unemployment in Haiti and this is one way a girl can earn money to feed the inevitable children.
    That prostitution is their only opportunity is the real scandal and it has very little to do with OXFAM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Paying using charity money to pay for sex and exploiting under aged prostitutes.
    Are these facts or just something you are imagining into the story? If they are facts, then yes it would be more serious, but I would expect that to be in the headline not buried beyond where the article has lost my interest. Even if they were considered possibilities they should be mentioned earlier in the article.

Agreed, and the perpetrators were fired for their transgressions.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A do-gooder NGO with corrupt employees? Must be a first...

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone I know is appalled and enraged. Seven decades of excellent work, tens of thousands of committed workers and volunteers being dragged down by a few scumbags.

www.DR1.com

16. Likes mountainannie, Lucifer, Russell liked this post
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast