Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santo Domingo Traffic may get a little better

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Santo Domingo Traffic may get a little better

News from today:
    2 million motorcycles but only 300,000 motorcyclists have licenses
    The executive director of the National Transport and Transit Institute (Intrant), engineer Franchesca de los Santos says that while there are an estimated two million motorcycles in circulation, only 300,000 motorcyclists have licenses to drive these. She said her office is giving the motorcycle issue priority as motorcyclists are involved in 60% of the traffic deaths in the country.

She explained that hundreds of thousands of motorcycles were assembled from spare parts, and are circulating without adequate documentation. Many others are in the hands of undocumented foreigners. She said her office is working with the Tax Agency (DGII) to find ways to regulate the motorcycles assembled from imported parts. But she said the situation is more difficult in the case of the undocumented foreigners and their legalization to drive the motorcycles.

She says since August 2017 they have three mobile licensing units and operations are being carried out to encourage the motorcyclists to regularize their situation.

De los Santos also announced that nine main avenues will soon be off limits for fare-sharing cars (conchos). These include J. F. Kennedy, 27 de Febrero, Máximo Gómez, Sabana Larga and Isabel Aguiar that De los Santos says should only be served by larger collective transport units such as buses.

I thought they should have enacted this on Maximo Gomez when the Metro started service. Once (if ever) the second line across the Ozama is finally open they should do the same on the portion of San Vicente de Paul up to the last station near Mega Centro.
    Maybe I'll hate driving a little less when visiting the capitol.

2. Likes caribmike, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

"De los Santos also announced that nine main avenues will soon be off limits for fare-sharing cars (conchos). These include J. F. Kennedy, 27 de Febrero, Máximo Gómez, Sabana Larga and Isabel Aguiar that De los Santos says should only be served by larger collective transport units such as buses."

Wow, finally. Hopefully this wil work out. I see problems ahead with the "padres de familias" mafia though...

4. Likes rubio_higuey liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    De los Santos also announced that nine main avenues will soon be off limits for fare-sharing cars (conchos). These include J. F. Kennedy, 27 de Febrero, Máximo Gómez, Sabana Larga and Isabel Aguiar that De los Santos says should only be served by larger collective transport units such as buses.
    If they can pull this off, I'll tip my hat.

6. Likes JDJones, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    "De los Santos also announced that nine main avenues will soon be off limits for fare-sharing cars (conchos). These include J. F. Kennedy, 27 de Febrero, Máximo Gómez, Sabana Larga and Isabel Aguiar that De los Santos says should only be served by larger collective transport units such as buses."

Wow, finally. Hopefully this wil work out. I see problems ahead with the "padres de familias" mafia though...
    Yea Mike, I am sure the sindicos will look for trouble. If I were Danilo I would put out the military and any violence/fires give orders to shoot first ask question......or not. Well, maybe not quite that extreme but you can not play with those thugs.

8. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in Santo Domingo at Christmas I thought there was a big improvement with the traffic ...especially on the Malecon.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s not good news, that’s bad news....more guaguas taking the place of the carros. 

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishpaddy View Post
    When I was in Santo Domingo at Christmas I thought there was a big improvement with the traffic ...especially on the Malecon.

This Christmas traffic was much better than other years. But I think that has more to do with people finally learning to do their things a little bit more on time, supermarkets open until midnight and I haven’t seen as many people traveling to USA during holiday season as this year. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The main problem in the DR with traffic isn't the vehicles, the licenses or lack thereof or the guaguas, instead; it is the lack of courtesy and education of Dominicans among themselves and towards others.

Taking crros away from main roads won't solve it, until the above is addressed.

"Chivos sin Ley" motto apply here.

13. Likes irishpaddy, PJT, JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't disagree that courtesy in driving isn't a problem but yes traffic volume is the main problem. Leaving the capital the last week I sat on JFK in traffic where it was like a parking lot. Courtesy or lack thereof didn't play a role. Getting rid of the Conchos will at least contribute to the solution (granted to a limited extent) in both traffic and lack of courtesy because they often times are the least courteous drivers on the road.

15. Likes caribmike, josh2203, JDJones liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr AE’s brother was talking about how much worse the traffic is in SD since last May when we left.  Saturday heading into SD from airport we moved fairly well, but the traffic leaving SD to Este was a parking lot on 27 Febrero. 

The motoconchos are awful everywhere, mindless of anyone else. To me they are the worst  on Independencia 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

17. Likes josh2203, Garyexpat liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast