Diving Operators

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Are there any dive operators at all in the southwest? I've heard the sites are supposed to be spectactular, but I've only read about people bringing their own gear (including tanks!).

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Contact Denis at Golden arrow in Santo domingo.

Diving is not very big here. But I bet you can find a shop. Bring your own CO analyzer and make sure your Dan insurance is up to date.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Are there any dive operators at all in the southwest? I've heard the sites are supposed to be spectactular, but I've only read about people bringing their own gear (including tanks!).

There is= per reports = great diving in the South west - off Isla Beata - I belive - accessible from Pedernales... I used to run into folks from the Capital there on weekends. But, as far as I know - at least when I was there - up to 2014- there were no dive facilities. You had to travel down with full tanks.

Golden Arrow is a good referral as they are the most expert teachers - doing Very Advanced trainings for cave divers and technical divers.

Should you want just good ole Caribbean diving - I would recommend Bayahibe - I think Daniel's - which used to be in Guayacanes - is there. But last time I was in that town, there were several dive shops - which means to me - that they will have scouted off shore reefs/wrecks and probably offer night dives.

There is also at least one good dive operation in Las Terrenas and another one in Puerto Plata.

As is the case around the world - the reefs are damaged and saying (sob sob) BUT..... there are still lots of small tropicals to be seen.

Be aware the the North Coast is the Atlantic Ocean - while the South Coast is the Caribbean - there is a real difference in both the waters and the available days for diving.

I assume that Golden Arrow would be able to equip you with tanks and arrange for boats to take you out to Isla Beata which is probably one of the "hidden gems"

Enjoy!

(Note that there is also a Week Long trip on a stay aboard off the Silver Banks during the 3 winter months when the North Atlantic Humpback Whales are here to breed. THEN you will be able to dive WITH them, I belive. You can not dive with the whales in Samana Bay when they are here as it is a protected breeding area)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This is all going to depend on the day and the area, of course...

I think that the days of 200 ft visibility are perhaps long gone --(I used to work for a dive operation in Haiti back in the 80s and that was what we had!)

But -- PERHAPS others can speak to this?

Thank you so much. You answered everything I wondered. You have a ton of knowledge about the coast.
I get the impression that the sw coast only has a limited amount of reef and its been heavily used.
How deep does the reef go and does it drop off fast?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In Las Terrenas there are two Diveshops, both good. Also good diving there.
In Bayahibe village there are three Diveshops, all good. I dive mostly with Coral Point. Diving is very good.
In Las Galleras one Diveshop, good diving.
I have also dived a few times in Boca Chica, german Diveshop. Not so much to see under water, bit diving is diving.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thank you so much. You answered everything I wondered. You have a ton of knowledge about the coast.
I get the impression that the sw coast only has a limited amount of reef and its been heavily used.
How deep does the reef go and does it drop off fast?

I did not dive in the DR - only snorkeled -

Do not know why you would get the impression that the SW coast would be "heavily used"? Certainly perhaps there are fishermen - is that what you meant? I know that the divers from the Capital were complaining that the fishermen on Isla Beata ought to be convinced that they should stop fishing in order to preserve their reef as a tourist destination - but that seemed amazingly arrogant to me - since I only saw ONE group of divers in Pedernales on my - perhaps dozen trips down there.

There is a large group of divers in the Capital although I do not know how you make contact with them. Perhaps they have a Meet-UP group or FB page or something like that? Mike McClellan - who plays the organ at the Episcopal Cathedral in Gazcue on Independencia - is a diver and regualary takes dive groups out to the little reef out by the airport - which is has pretty easy beach access, I am told

My nephew, who is a dive leader in Puerto Rico, went diving there with Golden Arrow.

The REALLY advanced diving in the DR is of the CAVES.

That is the training that Golden Arrow does -- as they also do training for nitrous diving -

Way More Advanced and Dangerous than anything that I would ever undertake.

Note that anything on the North Coast is going to be subject to many more days of "off" weather than the south coast - but it may also have better reefs and more wrecks.

I suspect that there are LOTS of wrecks and reefs and dive sites that remain to be discovered in the DR.

My dive master, Alan Baskin. was about the first to open up a dive operation and he only went over to Punta Cana around 85, I think from Haiti.

The folks at Golden Arrow will be the ones who probably know the most about all the reefs, drop offs, etc.. So check with them.

http://cavediving.com.do/website/

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
ScubaFun in Bayahibe is a great dive shop. Fantastic people there, and a big reason we decided to spend more time in the area. Not SouthWest, but worth looking into if you want some nice boat dives.