Santo Domingo carnival

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
So what is correct date?
Bob

they changed the date, now will be Feb 25, was on newspaper

I always remember it being the first Sunday in March. I hope Riva provides a link as i can't see how they can change it. La Vega, SD este have Carnaval on the 25th. The SD Carnaval always features the best marching troupes from the entire island and a few from other countries. Seems like a big conflict............

We need the link Riva..............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We were surprised to see San Cristobal all ready for Carnival already. Street canopies up around the park, street vendors selling masks, etc. 

Maybe things moved up because Easter is so early this year?  Too many celebrations in too short a time?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............Maybe things moved up because Easter is so early this year?  Too many celebrations in too short a time?

Maybe but how can they make a last minute change? Some of the marching troupes come from other countries. SD Carnaval is always the best from the entire country. So does this mean that Carnavals on the 25th is other cities are being cancelled?

Riva_31 waiting to hear back from you......................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Date as per below article:

https://www.diariolibre.com/revista...o-2018-ya-tiene-fecha-lugar-y-reina-BY9054553

SANTO DOMINGO. El alcalde del Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional (ADN), David Collado y Dagoberto Tejada, coordinador general de la Unión Carnavalesca del Distrito Nacional (UCADI) anunciaron la celebración del desfile del Carnaval de Santo Domingo 2018 para el próximo 25 de febrero en la avenida George Washington, en el tramo comprendido entre el Obelisco de Santo Domingo, conocido como Obelisco Macho y el Monumento de la Independencia Financiera de la República Dominicana, popularmente llamado Obelisco Hembra, en el que participarán más de 125 comparsas y personajes de más de 30 sectores de la capital.

WOW, thanks a lot for the link. A BIG surprise to me................

I guess this wasn't a last minute change. I hope next year there will be some info posted much sooner as to the date especially for people who plan their trip around Carnaval. I know a couple people who planned their vacation for first Sunday in March as it has been that way for at least the last ten years that i can remember.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
WOW, thanks a lot for the link. A BIG surprise to me................

I guess this wasn't a last minute change. I hope next year there will be some info posted much sooner as to the date especially for people who plan their trip around Carnaval. I know a couple people who planned their vacation for first Sunday in March as it has been that way for at least the last ten years that i can remember.

You are certainly more than welcome.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Big, giant shoutout to Riva_31. I know you saved the day for some folks who might have showed up on the first Sunday in March.............. (just when you think you got la rep dom figured out........ LOL)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe but how can they make a last minute change? Some of the marching troupes come from other countries. SD Carnaval is always the best from the entire country. So does this mean that Carnavals on the 25th is other cities are being cancelled?

Riva_31 waiting to hear back from you......................

The biggest and best Carnaval parade in RD is not in Santo Domingo. It takes place in La Vega. Number one hands down. Ask any Dominican.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The biggest and best Carnaval parade in RD is not in Santo Domingo. It takes place in La Vega. Number one hands down. Ask any Dominican.

Oh i don't doubt you but the one in SD is so much easier, especially if hotel accommodations are needed.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Like EVERYTHING else in this country, carnival is a substandard mess. 2 years ago I believe one group dressed as the KKK. Never short on ignorance are these Dominicans. Go to Brasil or Trinidad if you want to see a real carnival. Unless you have kids I see no reason for an educated adult to waste time witnessing this cluster phuck.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Like EVERYTHING else in this country, carnival is a substandard mess. 2 years ago I believe one group dressed as the KKK. Never short on ignorance are these Dominicans. Go to Brasil or Trinidad if you want to see a real carnival. Unless you have kids I see no reason for an educated adult to waste time witnessing this cluster phuck.

That is what we have and makes us diferent than other and we really enjoy, you can be part of the party and not be seatted far away watching.

The carnival in SD will have the best of every city here, I enjoy a lot every time I go.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
one group dressed as the KKK. Never short on ignorance are these Dominicans.

When was this, any link from a news source, interesting?

However and to address the second portion, my rebuttal to it would be that more ignorant were the creators of the original KKK group themselves.

Wouldn't you agree?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When was this, any link from a news source, interesting?

However and to address the second portion, my rebuttal to it would be that more ignorant were the creators of the original KKK group themselves.

Wouldn't you agree?

It happened in SD, you’ll find stories and links in old posts on DR1

Not only is your “rebuttal” not DR related, we do not permit discussions about race, so don’t go there. 

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
attended the Monti cristi carnaval several years back; never seen so many bullwhips in one place.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

May I ask which country you originate from, and what exactly the "educated adults" there do for entertainment purposes? I for one could not understand why an "educated" adult would want to surround themselves with a substandard ignorant populace. You surely reside within your own private utopia. Care to share it with the rest of us commoners? Please tell. We await the substantive response.