RNs in the DR...not a nice picture, and a wee bit long

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Loptka asked me if RNs in the DR can get jobs...Yes, they can, the private clinics need people to wash out the bed pans...

Unfortunately for the DR the Nurses are considered little more than auxiliary mistresses, bedpan cleaners and gofers.

Doctors, however, are Gods....Yeah, right. But of course they are, there is no Medical Liability Laws here, so they bury their mistakes.....

There are some RNs that demand and get respect. The very first years of the UCMM's Nursing Program attracted the Who-is-Who of regional society. I mean those last names are in every bodega in the country, if you get mah drift!!

So, when they graduated they had to be treated not only as equals but often times as superiors. They have by now either left the profession or have gone on to become doctors-an option that was not open to them when they first matriculated. There is one or two in very high administrative positions in some clinics.

The University had to close the Nursing career since it could not maintain enough students, and it was the only university program in the DR that not only had a degree awaiting at the end of 4 years, but also a work visa to the USA. There were over 5000 openings for nurses on the Director's desk!!

There was another case of Nurses coming out on top-no double entendre intended....althought it could be...

The Red Cross and St. Louis University/Care had a program to train ER and Surgical Room nurses in the public hospitals. Man, they came in like gang busters!!. Put the Mds in their places right away, no ifs-ands-or buts!! It was Get the F*** outta my face!..You are wrong, Doctor. You had better leave or else!!.. I mean they were something. And NO Spanish...

One of them ended up causing a divorce of Santiago's leading orthopedic surgeon, married him, out lived him....To this day she still can't speak a word of Spanish....Oh yeah, he was 5'5" maybe, and she was 5' 11"' blond and horsey .....high pitched voice that would crack a windshield...But man could she order people in that OR...

So, if YOU can be like that, by establishing your own power, status and rank within the medical community, I am sure you can find work. The pay generally sucks, but then again, you know more than 99.99 % of all Dominican RN.s , so you should be able to demand, not ask, demand payment for your high grade services...

Good Luck

Oh yeah, schools are only "half" day.....8-12 is the morning session...

HB