Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain and my favorite creatures

Some of us have been experiencing a fair amount of rain lately. Just a quick reminder to empty your shoes before putting them on. Centipedes, tarantulas and even scorpions are trying to stay dry these days and are forsaking their holes for a dryer environment. While the DR is purported not to have deadly creatures, the ones they do have can be excruciatingly painful and can cause a serious infection.

I dispatched a fair sized centipede in the kitchen this evening.

P.S. Tell your dogs to leave the critters alone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Some of us have been experiencing a fair amount of rain lately. Just a quick reminder to empty your shoes before putting them on. Centipedes, tarantulas and even scorpions are trying to stay dry these days and are forsaking their holes for a dryer environment. While the DR is purported not to have deadly creatures, the ones they do have can be excruciatingly painful and can cause a serious infection.

I dispatched a fair sized centipede in the kitchen this evening.

P.S. Tell your dogs to leave the critters alone.
    a centipede sent me to the emergency room last week. i am still taking medication..

never seen a scorpion in the DR.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    a centipede sent me to the emergency room last week. i am still taking medication..

never seen a scorpion in the DR.
    a bite or a sting?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    a bite or a sting?
    i think they sting, and inject venom. they put me on a course of anti inflammatories for a week, because i was in excruciating pain in my leg. i still have not recovered. it happened in a hotel in Santo Domingo. the nasty bugger bit me in three places, unless there were three of them, which i doubt.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgon I hope you found the bugger and made him pay or at least one of his kinfolk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    Gorgon I hope you found the bugger and made him pay or at least one of his kinfolk
    i didn't. i shot out of the bed like a cannonball, and by the time i had collected my wits, he had hightailed it to parts unknown. when i went to Centro Medico, they asked me what had stung me, and i said that it had split before i saw it. the doc asked me what time it happened, and i said 6.30 .

centipede, she concluded.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i didn't. i shot out of the bed like a cannonball, and by the time i had collected my wits, he had hightailed it to parts unknown. when i went to Centro Medico, they asked me what had stung me, and i said that it had split before i saw it. the doc asked me what time it happened, and i said 6.30 .

centipede, she concluded.
    And that folks is what makes the docs here great. Just by what time you got stung she knew what critter it was.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

...was sleeping this morning, and then all the yelling ..get in here and kill this thing.. jumped out of bed grabbed a broomstick and went to the noisey ladies bedroom.. next to her bed was the biggest black tarantula I have ever seen... one smack of the stick was enough.. asked her how the spider was in bed? a lot of bad words in Spanish followed.....Doc.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ticks are in bloom too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast