Water Softener for DR house

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
I know this has been discussed before (I haven't been around here in about 9-10 years now?!) I need new ideas and maybe even some specifics so that I can order on amazon. I need a water softener system to use in DR for new construction. I'm not even sure if what I need is a water softener to begin with. I just don't want that stuff that eats away at all the faucets and anything else it touches. Any Ideas? Thank you!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know this has been discussed before (I haven't been around here in about 9-10 years now?!) I need new ideas and maybe even some specifics so that I can order on amazon. I need a water softener system to use in DR for new construction. I'm not even sure if what I need is a water softener to begin with. I just don't want that stuff that eats away at all the faucets and anything else it touches. Any Ideas? Thank you!
I doubt you need a water softener. The water in the DR is generally not that hard as far as calcium is concerned. Being from FL I do know hard water.

A filtration system perhaps. There are several different types available.

I solved our water problem by putting a $5 7" x 32" 1 micron diesel fuel filter on the water going into the cistern. 1 micron is pretty dang small. It's a simple, inexpensive and elegant solution.

We don't drink the water, but it is very clean.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
We installed water softener with 5 micron tall boy and ultraviolet filter...reverse osmosis to fridge ice maker...huge difference 
From clothes to feel and no rust stains on clothes which every so often the mrs would bitch ..do it you won’t have regrets 

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
Welcome back Talldrink.

Thank you. It’s nice to be back. How have you been? (Unfortunately I don’t remember most of the user names vs the real name. I didn’t even recognize Alter Ego! [emoji23])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
I doubt you need a water softener. The water in the DR is generally not that hard as far as calcium is concerned. Being from FL I do know hard water.

A filtration system perhaps. There are several different types available.

I solved our water problem by putting a $5 7" x 32" 1 micron diesel fuel filter on the water going into the cistern. 1 micron is pretty dang small. It's a simple, inexpensive and elegant solution.

We don't drink the water, but it is very clean.

Sounds like an easy fix. Thanks!!

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
We installed water softener with 5 micron tall boy and ultraviolet filter...reverse osmosis to fridge ice maker...huge difference 
From clothes to feel and no rust stains on clothes which every so often the mrs would bitch ..do it you won’t have regrets 

This would be good if the property were for me. It’s for rental. Sounds good tho

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Because you say the faucets are being eaten up, I would suggest that you find a cheap pool test kit the water's Ph before buying anything. I also have a couple of questions. Do you notice any rust in the toilet bowls? Greenish blue stains anywhere? Now a suggestion. Do you have a teapot that you use regularly? Is there white crusty stuff inside? If no teapot, take a pan of water and boil out all of the water. What's left in the bottom after the water is gone? Tell me all of this, and I can better tell you what to do next.

Word of advice to well water users.. Never buy anything water treatment related until you have had your water tested and know what all is in the water. There is no cure all for treating water although the snake oil and water softener sales people will certainly tell you there is..

Peace..

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
Because you say the faucets are being eaten up, I would suggest that you find a cheap pool test kit the water's Ph before buying anything. I also have a couple of questions. Do you notice any rust in the toilet bowls? Greenish blue stains anywhere? Now a suggestion. Do you have a teapot that you use regularly? Is there white crusty stuff inside? If no teapot, take a pan of water and boil out all of the water. What's left in the bottom after the water is gone? Tell me all of this, and I can better tell you what to do next.

Word of advice to well water users.. Never buy anything water treatment related until you have had your water tested and know what all is in the water. There is no cure all for treating water although the snake oil and water softener sales people will certainly tell you there is..

Peace..

It’s white stuff that looks like cancer on faucets. The stuff left on boiled water is white. This info is based on my observations at my mothers house. Nearby where we are building.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Then go buy a cheap pool test kit and test the pH. Is your water supply a well or cistern? No rust stains?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Cistern

No well and on a cistern. I'd believe that to mean that you buy trucked in water. Buy yourself two 3/4" x 20" filter housings that house 2.5" standard filters. Install after your house pump with a 20 micron sediment filter followed by a 5 micron carbon block filter. Then message William Webster here on DR1 and ask about the UV Drinking water systems he uses. Install one for drinking water and ice and enjoy life in the DR. Now where do I send my bill?? hahaha.

By the way, clean your cistern or at least look at how much sediment is laying on the bottom.

Talldrink2.0

Feb 15, 2018
No well and on a cistern. I'd believe that to mean that you buy trucked in water. Buy yourself two 3/4" x 20" filter housings that house 2.5" standard filters. Install after your house pump with a 20 micron sediment filter followed by a 5 micron carbon block filter. Then message William Webster here on DR1 and ask about the UV Drinking water systems he uses. Install one for drinking water and ice and enjoy life in the DR. Now where do I send my bill?? hahaha.

By the way, clean your cistern or at least look at how much sediment is laying on the bottom.

Thank you! Bill my PayPal [emoji6]