Casa de Conductor for Rentals

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Can anybody explain under which of the rental car insurance add-ons CdC falls? For example, generally you have CDW, LWD, SLI (danos a terceros), etc. Is it included within the latter (SLI)? Or is it some category all to itself? If the latter, are you forced to purchase something like CDW in order to also get CdC, or could you just ask for CdC separately?

Basically all of the threads I've seen have had some version of "Ask for CdC" or "Make sure you have CdC" as rental car advice, but I have not seen a good breakdown of how exactly it is classified among add-ons and if you can purchase it on its own or if you are forced to get it attached to something else, like the CDW. I would personally think, if anything, it would be associated with SLI / danos a terceros, but I have no firsthand knowledge. Would be useful to know this prior to going to the rental counter.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Can anybody explain under which of the rental car insurance add-ons CdC falls? For example, generally you have CDW, LWD, SLI (danos a terceros), etc. Is it included within the latter (SLI)? Or is it some category all to itself? If the latter, are you forced to purchase something like CDW in order to also get CdC, or could you just ask for CdC separately?

Basically all of the threads I've seen have had some version of "Ask for CdC" or "Make sure you have CdC" as rental car advice, but I have not seen a good breakdown of how exactly it is classified among add-ons and if you can purchase it on its own or if you are forced to get it attached to something else, like the CDW. I would personally think, if anything, it would be associated with SLI / danos a terceros, but I have no firsthand knowledge. Would be useful to know this prior to going to the rental counter.

You would have to see a copy of the rental companies "binder" or contract On my private insurance it is listed separately as an add-on. To verify that you have it, look on the "binder/contract" of the insurance policy , its specifies there what is included along with the annual cost.
Many rental car companies don't give you a copy of the contract, you just get the insurance card.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is CdC insurance even available with a rental car insurance plan? I would guess this might be exclusive to long term private insurance policies. It is after all a way of keeping "a resident" out of jail while under investigation. Someone with zero ties to the country is probably a very large flight risk even without their passport.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Is CdC insurance even available with a rental car insurance plan? I would guess this might be exclusive to long term private insurance policies. It is after all a way of keeping "a resident" out of jail while under investigation. Someone with zero ties to the country is probably a very large flight risk even without their passport.

It's available, at least according to 99.9% of the rental car posts I've seen. Problem is people rarely say much beyond "Get it" or "We got it".

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It's available, at least according to 99.9% of the rental car posts I've seen. Problem is people rarely say much beyond "Get it" or "We got it".

Which car posts are these? In all my years on dr1 i don't recall a single person who mentioned renting a car and showing proof they had casa de conductor. I don't recall a single person who spent a night or two at the casa de conductor "hotel". I know where it is and what it looks like as i once had to go there to get some paperwork but that is about all the knowledge i have of casa de conductor.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Which car posts are these? In all my years on dr1 i don't recall a single person who mentioned renting a car and showing proof they had casa de conductor. I don't recall a single person who spent a night or two at the casa de conductor "hotel". I know where it is and what it looks like as i once had to go there to get some paperwork but that is about all the knowledge i have of casa de conductor.

They're essentially all on TripAdvisor...rental car posts abound there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They're essentially all on TripAdvisor...rental car posts abound there.

Oh OK, i know on dr1 a few peeps mentioned oh you got to get Casa de Conductor but not a single one has ever said how to get it or how to make sure you have it. I tend to lean with post #3 that Casa de Conductor is not available at the car rental agencies. Heck that's a way for them to make money on a price markup so if it was available they would push it just like they push their own CDW insurance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see it now....
Hertz & Avis promoting CdC

Driving in the DR is dangerous and you might get locked up
Buy our Casa de Conductor insurance today

Saves you jail time....

I see it listed separately on my policy... an extra item

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Well then...perhaps this is precisely the reason why nobody in those posts can explain exactly what insurance option CdC was tied to.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well then...perhaps this is precisely the reason why nobody in those posts can explain exactly what insurance option CdC was tied to.

LOL, exactly......... some peeps post just to see their words on screen and have no actual knowledge of what they are talking about. Don't believe me? ........ just hang around dr1 long enough and you will see...... :)

One would think if CdC was an option there would be a little box to check whether you accept or decline. This is easily a money maker and i am quite sure the auto rental agencies would capitalize on it.

Just my two pesos, either get full coverage from a reputable rental agency or go online and print out the CDW coverage your credit card company will cover. Also make sure the credit card coverage is applicable to the country you will be renting in.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have never seen the CdC insurance on a rental car contract here and I rent usually twice per year. It is on my personal car insurance and its also on the insurance card I keep in the car.
I agree with Big Bird. It's obviously not something that would be on a rental contract.

Can you imagine the drunken smash up derbys that would happen if you could rent a car, wreck it, then get to stay at a fairly nice place all for under about $60.00 usd.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........Can you imagine the drunken smash up derbys that would happen if you could rent a car, wreck it, then get to stay at a fairly nice place all for under about $60.00 usd.

LOL, i saw the Casa de Conductor on Bolivar in Santo Domingo and thought this sure isn't a bad place to have to stay while they sort out the paperwork.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know everyone is having fun here and I hate to spoil it...... but

What about going to an insurance agency and asking about a CDC ?
Short or long term.....

It appears this discussion isn’t offering a solution..... yet 
Keep trying.....

My suggestion might work .... might not 

Just an idea

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I have never seen the CdC insurance on a rental car contract here and I rent usually twice per year. It is on my personal car insurance and its also on the insurance card I keep in the car.
I agree with Big Bird. It's obviously not something that would be on a rental contract.

Can you imagine the drunken smash up derbys that would happen if you could rent a car, wreck it, then get to stay at a fairly nice place all for under about $60.00 usd.
I’ve been renting for many years from Budget in Playa Dorada. Credit card covers CDW up to $65,000 replacement value. Usuallly rent sub compacts about $15,000 in value. I also get $13 per day third party liability insurance which I thought covered me for any and all damages I do DR vehicles, property and people. At least, that’s what I’ve been told and the compensation would be paid out no questions asked. If that is the case a separate cdc policy is not required nor has the requirement ever been mentioned to me. 

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Watching this thread...
I will be renting a small SUV (Hyundai Tucson) from Fox Rent A Car at POP.
Rate is $220 for 8 days + local insurance (was not quoted a price, but expect around $13 to 15 US a day)
Questions:
1) Am I in the correct ball park?
2) Does the CDW I purchase from the car rental cover me enough?
3) Other options?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Watching this thread...
Rate is $220 for 8 days + local insurance (was not quoted a price, but expect around $13 to 15 US a day)
Questions:
3) Other options?
Never heard of Fox rental. If they are a local DR rental company and not associated with a major car rental like Budget or National, then it’s buyer beware. What you think your getting may not be what your getting. Also beware that vehicles rented by some local car rentals are not always in the best of shape and dont have 24 hour roadside assistance like the majors do. I’ve shied away from local rentals over the years because of the reports I’ve heard about poor vehicle maintenance, no access to proper insurances, etc., and if you do damage their vehicle your not getting off the island until they have cash in hand to compensate for your damages, credit card or no credit card. 

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Never heard of Fox rental. If they are a local DR rental company and not associated with a major car rental like Budget or National, then it’s buyer beware. What you think your getting may not be what your getting. Also beware that vehicles rented by some local car rentals are not always in the best of shape and dont have 24 hour roadside assistance like the majors do. I’ve shied away from local rentals over the years because of the reports I’ve heard about poor vehicle maintenance, no access to proper insurances, etc., and if you do damage their vehicle your not getting off the island until they have cash in hand to compensate for your damages, credit card or no credit card. 

I went online at carrentals.com to book (Always Do)
They are a large rental company, mostly in the US, but likely have office/agreement with Budget.
Rented from Fox many times in the past. www.foxrentacar.com (am I allowed to post a link)

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I went online at carrentals.com to book (Always Do)
They are a large rental company, mostly in the US, but likely have office/agreement with Budget.
Rented from Fox many times in the past. www.foxrentacar.com (am I allowed to post a link)
looks okay but just be aware the a company logo in the the DR is not necessarily legally linked to the same company in the US or Canada. Is this your first time renting from Fox in the DR and do you have a way of confirming Fox rental rules in the DR are the same as  Fox elsewhere?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
To add to the confusion: Casa de Conductor is a private company and there are other companies here supplying the same coverage as Casa de Conductor.

One is located in front of Sambil on Ave. Kennedy called "Centro Automovilista".

I didn't even know it until I had a small accident and went to Casa de Conductor, and they told me my coverage was at the other company.

There's a long story behind how all of this came about.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Watching this thread...
Questions:
3) Other options?

My guess,,,,,,,,, base rate $220

CDW - $20 per day
TWP - $5 per day
Taxes - $50
Airport Fee - $25