Repatriation Insurance Required?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Is it necessary to buy repatriation insurance if you are applying for residency on a US visa?
The quoted article below seems to imply otherwise.

As reported in Haiti Libre, César Antonio Cuevas Pérez, counselor minister at the Dominican mission in Haiti, explained that the increase is to cover a newly required insurance policy of US$150 that applies to all types of visa (tourist, resident and student) regardless of the nationality of the applicant, with the exception of those holding a North American visa (USA and Canada) and for the 26 countries of the European Union (Schengen visa).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
where can you buy this insurance.. can you buy it online ?

Yes, you can buy it online and download a copy to submit your residency application online, but you need to go to the office and pick up the original for when you go to DGM in Sto. Domingo.

There are only about 3 companies that offer this insurance. I can't remember the names of the others, but I used La Comercial de Seguros: http://www.lacomercial.com.do/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have heard that you can buy it online but you need to go to the office and get the original document to be submitted with your application or renewal. Photocopies or printouts are not generally accepted for most formal processes here unless accompanied by the original.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
When I got mine last year, there was a trailer office (temporary) outside the Migration office. May still be there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Commercial de seguro has an office right across from the DGM ( well, if you are facing the sea, while standing in front of DGM, its just like half a block behimd you. ).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Commercial de seguro has an office right across from the DGM ( well, if you are facing the sea, while standing in front of DGM, its just like half a block behimd you. ).

When were you last there? That's where it was last year when I renewed(just a little past the entrance to the parking lot on the other side of the street) but their website now shows the office located on Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When were you last there? That's where it was last year when I renewed(just a little past the entrance to the parking lot on the other side of the street) but their website now shows the office located on Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart.

That would be 2 years ago, this time i got my papers at the office in santiago before going to DGM.

BUT I parked right in front of it this year, beginning of january. It looked the same, to me. There again maybe nobody took over the space.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That would be 2 years ago, this time i got my papers at the office in santiago before going to DGM.

BUT I parked right in front of it this year, beginning of january. It looked the same, to me. There again maybe nobody took over the space.

I have to go next month. I'm going to call. I hope it's still there - sure was convenient.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Was there in December. Doubt they'll move, must be raking in the cash.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk