AMET is called DIGESTIT err DIGESETT since today... :/

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
They can call themselves whatever they like, just get the freaking motorbikes (and other vehicles) with no lights off the road and those that have no helmets too! If they started introducing fines that were so high many of the idiots (although not all) would think twice about riding on roads without lights or helmets. This has always been a hot topic and incredibly some people still defend them saying that heavy fines will seriously affect their families....well to those people all I can say is that if they don't break the law in the first place then they would not need to pay such a heavy fine! I would say that more than 75% (just a guess so please don't be asking me where I got that statistic from) have some form of illegal issue, lights, brakes, bald tires, no insurance....fine them really heavy, they will learn!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As far as affecting their families, what kind of effect does it have on the family when one of these morons gets run over at night because they have no lights?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Is this just the proverbial "Lipstick on a Pig" ?

They would get more respect if they treated extranjeros equally under the law when involved in accidents.

I agree with TEE - get the illegal, unrepaired motos & cars off the roads - no one is safe from them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Certainty of punishment is certainly a big step towards changing behavior. The population will not be happy and politicians don't like upsetting the voters - some tires will probably get burnt upsetting the environmentalists.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I got harassed for money because I accidentally had my led light bar on in town during dusk... And got a ticket for a supposedly illegal right turn in Santo domingo, where I still swear there is no sign and the cop only gave the ticket because I refused to give him money.

In every case, I never did anything that would be dangerous to another driver. I don't know how to think highly of an organization that is giving tickets for those things, and not stopping cars without lights.

If one corrupt politician imports a container of brake lights for $2000 pesos a set, in a week they will start pulling everyone over for missing brake lights and the colmados will be selling them too, like what happened with the law about emergency blankets and colored vests, which was a huge priority and reason to give tickets that has probably saved 0 lives.

But what I really want is an easy attorney to call to pay 4000 pesos to deal with every ticket like in the USA. I don't want to go to traffic court and I don't want to get deported because I overstayed 2 weeks and the digisett officer felt like stopping me on shaky grounds. I have good headlights, I can avoid the idiots without brake lights, to me it's just amusing.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, AMET are NOT all the same

1. I was lead left on Maximo Gomez by Google Maps where a left turn is prohibited (indeed there is a sign which I overlooked trusting maps). AMET (always there at this corner) stopped me, saw the mounted iphone and asked me if the GPS led me to turn left. I answered yes and was let go without further problems.

2. I was on an errand with wife and infant - it was already dark. Had to stop over for something switched the lights off to not let them glare into the shop and forgot to turn the light on again when leaving. Was stopped by AMET and asked why my lights are not on? I made no excuse and admitted I just forgot it (street was perfectly illuminated which was another reason).
He just let me go.

I think sometimes it has to do with attitude too.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Whomever got the contract for making the new uniforms is getting a big fat check soon.

Who wants to bet that its some funcionario?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I see that among many other wonderful new features, the new organisation will have a new institutional song. I am sure some members can suggest some suitable lyrics?

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Can guarantee you no one has a more polite attitude towards police than me. I shared a refresco with the last cop who stopped me, even :)

Watched again today as the digisett officer did nothing as he stood on the sidewalk supervising the Conchos parked right in front of the no pasajeros no estacione signs in front of bravo...

Again, I have no problem with them ignoring law breakers as long as they don't hold me to a higher standard.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I got harassed for money because I accidentally had my led light bar on in town during dusk... And got a ticket for a supposedly illegal right turn in Santo domingo, where I still swear there is no sign and the cop only gave the ticket because I refused to give him money.

In every case, I never did anything that would be dangerous to another driver. I don't know how to think highly of an organization that is giving tickets for those things, and not stopping cars without lights.

If one corrupt politician imports a container of brake lights for $2000 pesos a set, in a week they will start pulling everyone over for missing brake lights and the colmados will be selling them too, like what happened with the law about emergency blankets and colored vests, which was a huge priority and reason to give tickets that has probably saved 0 lives.

But what I really want is an easy attorney to call to pay 4000 pesos to deal with every ticket like in the USA. I don't want to go to traffic court and I don't want to get deported because I overstayed 2 weeks and the digisett officer felt like stopping me on shaky grounds. I have good headlights, I can avoid the idiots without brake lights, to me it's just amusing.
PLEASE tell me where you will get a lawyer in the USA for 4000 pesos

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wish them well. Certainly there will be a confusing transition, but the change is also a chance to weed out some bad apples.

I never had any problems with AMET. Every one of our encounters have been professional and courteous.

This change is another step in the evolution of the Dominican Republic toward more modern and consistent law enforcement.

What I want to see is those offering and soliciting bribes go to the hooskow. And those RD$5000 fines for running red lights and other examples of "typical" Dominican driving culture.

AND GETTING THE DRUNKS OFF THE ROADS.

I wonder if the new outfit will actually pull people over with flashing light vehicles instead of standing in the road and pointing to pull over.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Who thinks up these names. Politur changed to something that sounds like cesspool and now AMET sounds like something that isn't digesting well.
Do the powers that be here think that renaming a really dysfunctional authority will give it credibility.
More proof that we really do live in a cartoon.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Who thinks up these names. Politur changed to something that sounds like cesspool and now AMET sounds like something that isn't digesting well.
Do the powers that be here think that renaming a really dysfunctional authority will give it credibility.
More proof that we really do live in a cartoon.
Dominicans LOVE their acronyms...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Does this new system mean that there will be enforcement (such that it is) after 3PM in the afternoon. Will they now be working in the evening and overnight as well??
Bob K

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Hey, are they not wearing pants? That's weird.

02-22.jpg

Jan 7, 2016
Hey, are they not wearing pants? That's weird.

02-22.jpg

That's a happy looking group...probably thinking to themselves, "what the f&ck...another new name?" A cop is a cop is a cop...they should just get over it! It really doesn't matter what they call you, it's how you BEHAVE!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Setup roadblocks on Sunday and stop every car driving from 3PM to 10 PM - 1/4 are too drunk to walk or talk and another 1/4 too drunk to drive.
I would like to know the statistics on Sunday fatalities