Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Venezuelan Immigration to the DR

Post Thanks / Like

Disregard that post I was driving and typing not a good idea. I love being Dominican but let's not act like a lot of prefer to be white, I have met a lot Dominicans that do not accept their African roots even though they're Wesley snipe black. Sammy sosa the poster boy for self hate Dominican

2. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said before I went to far by calling us xenophobic. Over population does hurt a country but I can't turn away ppl in need I wouldn't like for other countries to us away either just saying.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViewsFromNYC View Post
    Hmmmm. Come on let's not be blind about how DR tries to deny their African roots...... I might of gone to far by saying xenophobic but racist yes. A lot of Dominicans will do anything lighten their skin. My favorite Dominican phrase " yo no soy Moreno, yo soy Indio" GTFOH
    Dominicans don't deny their African roots, on the contrary, they embrace all three (Euro, Taino, Afro). Also, as others have stated here, not all Dominicans have African roots or have as much, so how would they be denying their "African roots"? Or do you want to argue that a white Dominican from Sajoma (San Jose de Las Matas) has the same amount of African roots as someone from San Pedro de Macoris? Your responses are the typical, ad hominem and ridiculous accusations against Dominicans used by the race-obssesed Afrocentrics coming out of colleges and universities in NYC such as CUNY.

You really want to use Sammy Sosa as an example of Dominicans lightening their skin? Tell us, how many Dominicans do you know that have actually done this? I know the response will be none because it is not an issue in the DR. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that skin bleaching is an epidemic in African countries and some of the non-Spanish Caribbean islands, not the DR. Additionally, the Dominicans that classify themselves as 'indio' usually do have some traits that are similar to indigenous features or their complexion. If you really are Dominican, you would know that indio is usually used as a term for skin color and in no way, shape or form a way to deny African ancestry, as a matter of fact, one of the most revered terms is 'morena', or will you argue that a lot of Dominican songs don't pay reverance to 'morenas' or that it is usually a term of endearment/flattery, so tell me again, how is it that Dominicans deny their African roots or downplay their blackness? What Dominicans want is for outsiders and their Dominican allies to stop trying to impose their views of race and identity on Dominicans, as we have always embraced our triracial identiy and don't subscribe to a 'black/white' racial paradigm.
    Last edited by jenmar237; 05-16-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Typos

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Disregard that post I was driving and typing not a good idea. I love being Dominican but let's not act like a lot of prefer to be white, I have met a lot Dominicans that do not accept their African roots even though they're Wesley snipe black. Sammy sosa the poster boy for self hate Dominican
    Are you Junot Díaz in disguise?

6. Likes jenmar237, bob saunders liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yawn...

Coming back to the Venezuelan, since that's the topic of the thread, the much whiter Venezuelans are now complaining that the Dominican government is mistreating and deporting them, plus making it hard for them to regularize their migrant status, while they noticed how the Dominican government did everything to give documents to the much blacker Haitians, even the one's that didn't qualify for the regularization plan.

The aptly named ViewFromNYC, please take your arguments to another thread. Thanks!
    Moderator Polls Forum

8. Likes Caonabo, jenmar237 liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

This one was posted last April. Immigration authorities in Santiago caught, among Haitians, two German guys that were not able to show proof of their legal presence in the country (passport, cedula, immigration papers, etc.) The result? They were taken to where ever illegal immigrants are taken in Santiago to prepare for deportation.

This is probably what the Venezuelans are complaining about. This video can also be a warning for those expats that don't have their migration status in check or even those that do (including tourists), to always carry documentation that proves you're in the country legally either as a resident or a tourist, in case you are stopped by immigration officials.

According to ViewsFromNYC, the two Germans would had been left alone in the DR for being white, blonde with blue eyes.

Moderator Polls Forum

10. Likes jenmar237, bob saunders liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah I don't have identify issues, I love being Dominican but I'm not sit here and be blind. Also have you ever of Sammy Sosa? Enough said
    I have been married to a Dominican woman for twenty years and live in the DR. She has numerous relatives and they come in all sizes and shades, rich and poor, educated and uneducated. I know a number of Dominicans that use lightening creams, but most of them use that to fix bleamishes caused by the sun. I have talked race, and nationaism with many Dominicans, as well as discussing the Haitian problem. There is far less racism than a fellow like yourself seems to have. Sammy Sosa , do you think he is racist?

12. Likes John Boyter, Auryn, jenmar237 liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to Venezuelans in DR, and no more race discussions please.  Not permitted in the regular forums. 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a resume from a Venezuelan teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I have been married to a Dominican woman for twenty years and live in the DR. She has numerous relatives and they come in all sizes and shades, rich and poor, educated and uneducated. I know a number of Dominicans that use lightening creams, but most of them use that to fix bleamishes caused by the sun. I have talked race, and nationaism with many Dominicans, as well as discussing the Haitian problem. There is far less racism than a fellow like yourself seems to have. Sammy Sosa , do you think he is racist?
    I don't have racism problem, i don't care what you are or where you come from but I have heard many Dominicans saying things like " en mi casa negro yo solo" but that person is purple black, I'm from Santiago & in my area we're pretty mixed and I love it. May be I didn't quite explained my self before and for that I am sorry. Like I said I love DR but I wish somethings could change.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast