LGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Would it be possible for dr1 to start a sub forum under Living dedicated to LGBT issues. There is a community in Santo Domingo especially in the colonial zone and Santiago and Punta Cana are evolving too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you get them to post on the forums, then when we have a reasonable amount of relevant threads, then we can look at moving to a new forum.

I need to see activity for any new forums to be added.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Ok. I think it is a very important area to discuss. Dr1 could be an important agent of change. I myself don’t identify with a particular letter. I am open minded.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Ok. I think it is a very important area to discuss. Dr1 could be an important agent of change. I myself don’t identify with a particular letter. I am open minded.

Ok. What I was thinking was that a sub forum under living under dr1 about LGBT issues would be natural. Dr1 could be an agent of change. I think being L, G, B, T is good. I am .... oh I am not sure. I think both woman and men can be attractive.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Ok. What I was thinking was that a sub forum under living under dr1 about LGBT issues would be natural. Dr1 could be an agent of change. I think being L, G, B, T is good. I am .... oh I am not sure. I think both woman and men can be attractive.

The idea would be a LGBT thread under living. Discussing issues related to LGBT. L is Lesbian. I am a man so I cant get into that. G is gay well I like gay guys. They are always nice. I guess I am bi liking both. Although T means transsexual. Trans is ok too.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
John, I think you need to re-read Robert´s response....

I suggest you get them to post on the forums, then when we have a reasonable amount of relevant threads, then we can look at moving to a new forum.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am suggesting a sub forum under living about LGBT issues. 

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
John, I think you need to re-read Robert´s response....

I tried with a new thread. It would be a sub forum under the Living Forum. I dont think it is a big deal. My impression is that the DR is fairly liberal. Why does anybody care. I myself spend time in Santo Domingo, Las Terrenas and Miami and my home country Denmark and my mothers country England. I am fortunate that these places are all liberal. I think about young people in the Dom Rep and feel really sorry for them and hope dr1.com is willing to push a change. 

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
So L means Lesbian, G means Gay, B mean Bisexual and T means Transsexual. Why does anybody care ? If there is a sub forum under living where these sub groups discuss and share. Knowing the DR in Santo Domingo, Santiago and Punta Cana I would say dr1.com is behind the curve. 

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am thinking about young people. Us who are older find a way of getting around it. But young people especially teenagers really suffer. When you get older you find ways of dealing with it but maybe you would wish to feel freer. I think the DR is one of the places in the Caribbean that is fairly liberal. 

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
So now we have an LGBT thread under living. So far so good. 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I am suggesting a sub forum under living about LGBT issues. 

Doing what Robert suggests, may make it happen.
Start a thread and start posting. (Not another thread suggesting a new sub forum)

Robert´s Post:

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I am thinking about young people. Us who are older find a way of getting around it. But young people especially teenagers really suffer. When you get older you find ways of dealing with it but maybe you would wish to feel freer. I think the DR is one of the places in the Caribbean that is fairly liberal. 

Maybe try a Dominican forum for locals you might get some more response? ;)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Am I to understand that you think there are no LGBT seniors?? :)

We have several DR1ers who are. 

No.  We are everywhere. It’s just not a topic that is well received on this forum. Threads started get shut down quickly.  Not closed by a mod.  Just go flat. Other than Wally Brewster, much of which occurred in off topic, the lgbt threads don’t get much play. 

The website dr1 has accurate info as I recall. 

When a lgbt thread comes up OP’s get the usual very helpful timely advice. And a healthy dose of snark.  They are often helpfully given links such as monaga (nsfw).  

Anything gay goes over like a lead balloon. That’s all.  No particular invective. I note significant generational trends.  

families where there is at least one out of the closet family member also  tend to have allies in the family who can smooth things over.  That’s how older generations learn from younger ones. My beloved dad (step) has changed on that topic.  Still thinks it’s wrong but now he has many relatives in the younger generation.  He also found out that a few of his peers were alternative and he never knew.  And his peers who have gay grandchildren made a difference. Of course he sees it as a symptom of the degradation of society.  Faithful catholic, abortion is murder kind of guy.  He often now finds himself at parties and gatherings with gay people and he isn’t always the most cordial anyone could imagine.  Often a big hit.  (Actually, not recently.  Been a few years since he’s sticking close to the house.)

So I’m not saying older folks are closed minded.  But mostly people here on DR1 don’t want to talk about it.  Even I don’t want to, that much.  He was politely invited by Robert to more or less go ahead.  Here we are.  

I stick around Cuz I learn history stuff and travel stuff. On a rare ocasión I can provide helpful advice.

So I guess we have a new sub forum thread.  Are there significant generational difference in all things Lgbt?

Btw, just cuz I’m a gay guy doesn’t make me any kind of expert.  Nor do I have a particular interest in the topic.  

I predict this sub forum will be less active than the residents only forum.

But good luck and have at it.  

It could be popcorn worthy. 

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Only the older overly religious dominicans see gays as a "threat", the millennials are extremely open minded here, so it's fairly liberal now. (i happen to be one, in the closet tho).

Status
Not open for further replies.