Price for a DR SIM Card that has data plan for the 10 days i am in the DR

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Hi All,

I have an unlocked cell, and I am looking to purchase a SIM car and pop it in my phone while in the DR

Have not done this before.

Looking for this more for data (GPS, Google, Facebook) than calling or texting.

Any locals know the info?

What options can I get in Puerto Plata? Cost?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hi All,

I have an unlocked cell, and I am looking to purchase a SIM car and pop it in my phone while in the DR

Have not done this before.

Looking for this more for data (GPS, Google, Facebook) than calling or texting.

Any locals know the info?

What options can I get in Puerto Plata? Cost?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill

All prepaid sim cards usually cost 50.00 Dominican pesos, like USD 1.20 more or less, The company Im using is VIVA, for 145.00 pesos you get 7 days unlimited internet. They have packages of 1 day for 45.00 pesos, 3 days for 85.00, 7 days, 14 days and 28 days.

Claro and Altice are the other 2 mayor campanies here they offer package of 5 days for 150.00 pesos, 3 days for 90.00 pesos and and 1 day for 50.00 pesos.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Forgot to say that you have to top it with at least 100.00 pesos when you buy the simcard, so they could charge you with 150.00 pesos, 100.00 as credit and 50.00 for the simcard.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
All prepaid sim cards usually cost 50.00 Dominican pesos, like USD 1.20 more or less, The company Im using is VIVA, for 145.00 pesos you get 7 days unlimited internet. They have packages of 1 day for 45.00 pesos, 3 days for 85.00, 7 days, 14 days and 28 days.

Claro and Altice are the other 2 mayor campanies here they offer package of 5 days for 150.00 pesos, 3 days for 90.00 pesos and and 1 day for 50.00 pesos.

THANK YOU!!!

Viva - good coverage/speeds? I an planning to range from Punta Rusia to Samana.
145.00 pesos for 7 days unlimited internet sounds almost too good to be true. That is a great rate!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
THANK YOU!!!

Viva - good coverage/speeds? I an planning to range from Punta Rusia to Samana.
145.00 pesos for 7 days unlimited internet sounds almost too good to be true. That is a great rate!

If you will be moving then I sugest you go with Claro, they have the best coverage here in roads and most of the city, if you tell me exact where you plan to go I can check with VIVA; they have good speed.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The bands for VIVA are 1900 for 2G/3G and 1700/2100 for LTE, Claro 1900 - 2G/3G, 850 - 3G and 1700/2100 for LTE, With Altice they are in a process to change bands so Im not sure wich one they are moving to.

Check the compatibity of your phone with those bands.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Looking for this more for data (GPS, Google, Facebook) than calling or texting..............

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill

One thing you can do in advance is go to Google Play and download the app Mi Claro Republica Dominicana. Make sure to get the app for the Dominican Republic and not another country...... The app will help you keep track of your pesos balance, monitor your data usage and assist in topping off your account.

One thing to be aware of is the data packages are sold with a GB limit along with a number of days limit. Let's say you purchase a 1 GB data with 7 days usage. If you gobble up that 1 GB of data the very first data your online speed will drop to a snails pace for the remaining 6 days. You either deal with the now super slow speed or buy another data package.

you can get an account with etopuponline to add additional funds to your Sim card balance or just do it locally. There always seems to be somewhere close buy to "buy minutes".

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
One thing you can do in advance is go to Google Play and download the app Mi Claro Republica Dominicana. Make sure to get the app for the Dominican Republic and not another country...... The app will help you keep track of your pesos balance, monitor your data usage and assist in topping off your account.

One thing to be aware of is the data packages are sold with a GB limit along with a number of days limit. Let's say you purchase a 1 GB data with 7 days usage. If you gobble up that 1 GB of data the very first data your online speed will drop to a snails pace for the remaining 6 days. You either deal with the now super slow speed or buy another data package.

you can get an account with etopuponline to add additional funds to your Sim card balance or just do it locally. There always seems to be somewhere close buy to "buy minutes".

If he pick up Claro for Simcard maybe is lucky and they extend the offer of unlimited internet that its suppose to finish today.

If you pick up VIVA no problem they plan is unlimited.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Please remember that you will need ID to buy a sim card in Dom Rep. So take your passport with you when you go to get a SIM.

hardrockminer

Feb 4, 2017
Be careful on what you sign. I went into Orange in Sosua last year and asked for a sim card and data for the 80 days I would be here. The girl spoke decent english and said it would cost me 1800 peso per month cant remember the data plan but at least 6Gig. So every month I went in and paid for next month and told her on the last month that I was leaving before this term ended big smile and ok.
All was good until November and I started getting notice from a law office regarding collection and threatening my credit rating. I thought the first two were a scam so ignored them. By the third one I google translated it and figured out what it was. I have called many times (no one speaks english) replied back to emails even attempted a reply in spanish (google) but never have received a dollar value to what is owed or any response besides the now monthly email from collection. Apparently I was signed up for 18 months or 24 months not sure which just a heads up lol

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Be careful on what you sign. I went into Orange in Sosua last year and asked for a sim card and data for the 80 days I would be here. The girl spoke decent english and said it would cost me 1800 peso per month cant remember the data plan but at least 6Gig. So every month I went in and paid for next month and told her on the last month that I was leaving before this term ended big smile and ok.
All was good until November and I started getting notice from a law office regarding collection and threatening my credit rating. I thought the first two were a scam so ignored them. By the third one I google translated it and figured out what it was. I have called many times (no one speaks english) replied back to emails even attempted a reply in spanish (google) but never have received a dollar value to what is owed or any response besides the now monthly email from collection. Apparently I was signed up for 18 months or 24 months not sure which just a heads up lol

Must be 18 months contract, not all companies here has not contract plans, thats why I love Viva, they have Hibrid plans with 30 days durations that renew every month, you can cancell any time you want with not penalty, if you forget to pay not reconection charges when you pay.

He just need to make sure is getting Prepago simcard

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I'm surprised (or perhaps this was an intentional "misunderstanding" from their part...), that you were not offered prepaid options. 100 pesos for the SIM card, 7GB for 5 days (I use that, a I use a lot of data) data for 139 pesos from Orange/Altice. No contracts, no monthly payments, you strictly pay as you go, everything prepaid. Similar things easily available from Claro.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't pay them anything. There is nothing they can do. They try to scare you.