Northcoast Beaches

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
I would like some opinons on the best beaches on the north coast. Which are the best in the area? I will be coming to DR for my honeymoon looking for a good area to stay. Looking for calm waters not surfing conditions. What part of the island is Playa Larga located? Has any one heard of Los Almendros Beach?I have been to Puerto Plata before loved the area just looking for a nicer more secluded beach. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Matt

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One caution about secluded beaches. Although great for honeymooners, they can also be great for thieves. Rincon beach on Samana Peninsula, is still undeveloped despite being one of the best, most beautiful beaches in the world. But anyone going there is advised to be sure other people are also present. You don't need to beach with a crowd, but you shouldn't be on your own either.

Same advice applies to other beaches that are secluded, meaning few people using them.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you want a calm beach, consider Cabarete. The area caters to young adults and strolling along the beach to visit the many restaurants should be quite romantic. For more on Cabarete, see http://dr1.com/travel/cabarete/
Also check out the links to Playa Dorada, Sosua, Playa Grande (this beach can get rough, but there are many other calm beaches in the area).

Samana is another excellent choice for a honeymoon destination, albeit a little bit difficult to get to. If you go, I suggest you overnight in Puerto Plata, and then rent a car to head over to Samana (about four hour drive from Puerto Plata), or take an Air Santo Domingo flight, or fly into Santo Domingo and take the Metro Bus from Santo Domingo.

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
I will be flying into POP going to San Francisco De Macoris for a couple days, then we will be off to a resort. I don't think we will make it to Samana looking for somewhere between Playa Luperon and Playa Laguna Grande. Has anyone heard of or stayed at moon light villa aka Claro De Luna?
Thanks again for all the info

Matt

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you wanted to consider Samana, it would be an easy trip from SF de Macoris. Both Metro and Caribe Tours have buses from there to Samana. It's about a 2 hour trip. To get back to POP from Samana, you could take the Caribe Tour bus that leaves Samana at 4 pm daily, including weekends. It's a 4.5-5 hour trip on very comfortable bus.

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
How are Los Almendros beach and Playa Laguna Grande?
Samana is only a 2 hour drive from SF de Macoris? Is it quicker by car instead of bus?

Thanks again
Matt

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not kidding: Your very best bet is Saman?. You get on a metro bus right there in SFM at0930 or 1600 and in two hours you are in Samana. If you get intouch with AndyB on www.samana.net he can probably arrange for you to be picked up and taken to Las Galeras...One more of God's Gifts to the DR....Secluded enough, nice yet very safe...

HB

PS My other choice would have been to get a spot in Punta Rucia. You can look at what is available in Punta Ruc?a., but it is much further from SFM than Saman? is.....More secluded...

Place to die for....skinny dippin'if you feel like it!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour has more buses from SFM to Samana than does Metro. They have at least 3 in morning and 2 in afternoon. 2 hours to Samana. You'd save a little time going by car, but car rental considerably more expensive than the bus fare. If you want the use of a car in Samana, rent it there when desired.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Best Beach Nort coast

Playa Grande is the best on the North coast especially if you like big waves.

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
We are not really looking for waves. Looking for a calm beach where we can snorkeling from the shore.

Thanks again to all for the info
Matt

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If you want a calm beach with a snorkeling reef just offshore, the best I've found in the Las Galeras area is Playita. There are also several little beaches with reefs just off them between Playita and Playa Rincon, about a mile and a 1/2 to the west at the end of Rincon Bay. There are also deeper reefs in and around the twin bay areas of Las Galeras and Rincon with another nice area off Playa Fronton at the foot of Cape Samana. Look in the Attractions section of www.samana.net for more information or feel free to contact me.

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
Would you recommend staying in Las Galeras or Las Terrenas?
Do you know or any good places to stay?
I have seen the websites of Club Bonito, Villa Serena and El Portillo.

Thanks for the nfo
Matt

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Matt,
Each area, Las Galeras and Las Terrenas, has it's good points and not-so-good points. Las Galeras is a quiet, sleepy little fishing village on the twin bays of Rincon and Las Galeras. The bays have some 12 beaches, each prettier than the last. There's not much night life, but the breathtaking beauty of the beaches and the peninsula's 2 capes makes up for it.
On the other hand, Las Terrenas is located on 8 miles of beautiful, north coast beach and has a more-lively, touristic atmosphere. There's plenty of nightlife. Resultingly it's a lot more active and noisy.
Both have good hotels, restaurants and other things to do and you can find more information about the two areas (and the rest of the Samana Peninsula) on Samana Net. Look in the Accomodations, Attractions and Visitor's Guide sections of the site's menu.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Matt: One of my sons will be in Saman? this week. Another of them has las Galeras as his favorite hidaway.

Both of them shy away from Las Terrenas because of the noise.

For your first look-see, do yourself a favor and go to Las Galeras.
Ask Andy if he has a room available. Simple, quiet and relaxing, plus you have a great guide to steer you right..

HB

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
Does anyone have any recommendations on any hotels or resorts? We would like it to be on the beach.
Thanks again to everyone

Matt

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TALK TO ANDY!!!

You have a guy that lives in Las Galeras, is a wonderful and helpful guide. Use him....

This week, hotel occupation is reportedly 100%...Must be something!!

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Great beaches in the Las Galeras/Las Terrenas area. I stayed at Las Palmas in Las Terrenas, it was very beautiful. It is a 2-storey condo with kitchen, cable, and 2 beds. Hosts are wonderful.

Here is their website:

http://www.vamosalaspalmas.com/

Have fun!

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
Trina

Trina are those condos located right on the beach? They have a couple of pictures of beaches on the website are those beaches close to the hotel?

Thanks for the info

marion harshman

Jan 2, 2002
Beach at Costambar 5 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata wonderful swimming beach. It has a reef so it is very safe.