DR Golf

boz151

Mar 25, 2002
Hello All,
This board looks very informative and I plan on reading a lot of it. I am planning a trip to the Puerta Plata Area in May. We will be staying in Sosua at the Coconut Palms Resort, so any info on that resort and area would be appreciated. It will be myself, wife and another couple.

Now the real reason for my post. Can anyone shed any light on the golf situation in the area. In reading some books, it seems that most courses are private, is this the case? If so, is it possible to get on them at all? Specifically Playa Dorado and Casa de Campo have our interest.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Boz

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
No Problem getting on Playa Dorada course. I'm a member there & we welcome visitors. The wife is away middle of May (Back to England for her two yearly MOT!!) so I should be allowed out to play if you need a partner. Best to play afternoons as you DON'T HAVE to hire a buggy if you don't want to!

Playa Dorada is an excellent course to play too - the Dominican "Pebble Beach". Expensive but the scenery is well worth it!! Again, no problem with getting on but probably best to do it with the Golfadventures company that works out of Playa Dorada.

Oh yes - the less important info. Coconut Palms is a lovely hotel complex about 7 miles the other side of Sosua (15 - 20 mins from Airport). Clean, tidy & very friendly. There is a good reataurant on site, an excellent cordon bluer down towards Cabarete & some excellent beachfont reataurants in Cabarete itself. The local bus (the Gua-gua - pronounced wag-wa) runs in both directions from outside the entrance gate, so you DON'T have to pay for expensive taxis. Make at least one trip in the gua-gua to Cabarete or Puerto Plata before you leave, you will find it an interesting (& not unpleasant) experience. Be sure to check current fares at the hotel though & make sure you have the right change - the conductors NEVER seem to have change for Gringo Tourists!!!

Get back to me via e-mail if you want more info. Swing well - Grahame Bush.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you will be staying at the Coconut Palms Resort your best option is to play in the Playa Grande golf course, the best on the north coast and one of the best in the Caribbean.

Forget playing in La Romana. This is a big country. It would take you at least six hours driving to get to La Romana.

See http://dr1.com/travel/special/golf.shtml for north coast golf courses.

boz151

Mar 25, 2002
Thanks so much to both of you for your answers.

I look forward to playing your course BB, looks great.

Boz

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Golf:
First off, there is a little course there in Cabarete called ??Something Azul" on the right side as you head towards Cabarete. Nice little layout, narrow but interesting. I understand that it is not in the best of shape right now.
Then you have Playa Dporada, and there you follow BushBaby's instructions and have a ball.

Next, you have to play Playa Grande. A truly magnificent layuout by Robert Trent Jones , perhaps his very best. Grandeur, challenging, memorable.

Then you might like to try the Pete Dye course in Santiago. A very short 6.003 yds, yet difficult course. Modest green Fees and carts are available. Cart and GF less than $50.00

You take the guagua to POP, get on a Metro bus to Santiago, then a taxi for 60 pesos to the golf course...

Send me an e-mail if you need help or another player..

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
boz151- Top course is definetly Playa Grande, about 50min. from sosua. Maybe stop ay Costa Azul in Caberete for an afternoon round. Playa Dorado after 1p.m. is about $600p if walking plus $150p for caddie. There is also Los Mangos, a 9 holer in Costamber, costs about $10US and is about 15min. from Playa Dorado. Best deal is HB's course in Santiago, Los Aromas. They seem to be putting some money into it; big improvement from last year! Cost was only $300p (about 18US) for 18 holes walking with caddie. If your into it, 45min. north of Santiago there is another 9hole course in Jarabacoa, only costs about 6 bucks to play. Makes for a pretty long day but what the hell!!! If you need any more info let me know, except for Jarabacoa I play them all every year.