Auto Registration

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
Can an American Register a car in thr DR
and what is the typical cost?
Also what is the average cost of Auto Insurance ?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
yes.
no typical cost.
registration depends on the year and type of car.
insurance depends on the price of the car, or for how much you wish to insure it.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I heard that not many Dominicans have insurance and that if they do it barely covers most problems anyway... true or false?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Insurance?You have got to be joking!

Most of the "Crap" driven in the streets of Santo Domingo,is not insured.The Drivers have no License,and with out that the insurance is no good anyway! Put on a good "Defensa"(Large bumpers like they use in Australia for Kangaroos),here they work on other "Creatures"!Criss Colon

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Most cars in the city of Santo Domingo do carry some type of insurance, mostly "seguro de ley" which is the minimal requierment 400-500 $RD. Most drivers also carry a drivers license as a result of the recent tightening up of the traffic laws imposed by the feared General Candelier, the new head of the AMET traffic police.

CC is describing the situation a few years back

DanW

Mar 16, 2002
danandbarbara.tripod.com
Most insurance in the DR is basically a paper to keep the police happy. Don't ever expect to get anything out of them. There are some companies who do have full coverage insurance but they are expensive and to my knowlege will not cover any vehicles over 5 years of age.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do not agree with this statement. Car insurance does work in the DR. I have personally been involved in a car accident, have had family and friends that suffered crashes, and do not recall one incident when the insurance company did not fulfill its obligation. Choose carefully your company, and you may consider buying your insurance through a broker who has more weight with the company when entering your claim.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Wise Dolores hath spoken. heed her words!

the best of her comment is that you have to choose your company carefully...and use a broker-generally someone that will go to bat for you in time of need.

I would steer away from Patria, Confederaci?n and a couple of others like San Rafael....Go with the large private insurers, like Nacional and Universal. Let the broker know what you need, since there is no no-fault insurance here and it can get complicated...

HB