Hipolito's stock down

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
If the lastest poll from Hamilton Beattie in today's Hoy newspaper is any indication, Hipolito Mejia's stock is going downhill. In the trust department, almost 70% do not trust him anymore, quite a shocking percentage for a man who ran for President on "his word".

His government is at best qualified as "bad" by more than 59% of the people and the comfort level of Dominicans with their personal economy is very negative. Most feel nothing will change for the better with Hipolito at the helm.

With Leonel Fernandez setting up his presidential campaign office today in a separate building from his party's headquarters, thus keeping himself and his personal reputation a little distanced from his party, he is now a major thread to dethrown the PRD in 2004. If as expected, Leonel's party wins the city of Santo Domingo in the congressional elections in May and even has a modest showing in Santiago, expect Leonel's stock to rise dramatically, as he can do no wrong with the way things are going for the PRD.

With bread, sugar, gas, and the family basket prices climbing and the congressional problems with approving more international loans, while the people see no results, one can say Hipolito has his work cut out for him. It seems the Lion(Leonel) will be roaring again.

TW

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I hope to God that what you're saying is right on the money. Only in DR do you see someone like Hippolito Mejia being elected as president. I've been ashame of that fact but they got what they thought they wanted. It's too bad that our people (in the country) don't see it as offensive for a candidate(or it's supporters) to go around giving away plantains trying to gain votes. That's treating the people like mere dogs yet they see it as a good sign. Too bad. Well, like I said, I hope what Golo wrote will turn into reality.

DR_DEFENDER

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll second that motion!!

What I can't understand is how anyone -no matter how poor- can believe the fairy-tales Mejia's cronies were telling to get him elected.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Hipolito violated cardinal rule # 1, you can't borrow your way out of debt. It will take the DR years to float the financial ship again.
His way to solve a problem, throw money at it, only he has to borrow the money to do it. Kuky Silverio Galan needs to come out
of mothballs, we need some solid representation on the north coast again.