Barahona Hotel Situation

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
I am interested in the latest information on the business situation in Barahona. Is it true the Riviera Hotel has been sold and if so to whom??? Any other discussions or plans for other Hotels for the city or area???

Also would like to know if others have any interest in the development of the Barahona, Southwest area??

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Riviera is closed. There are small new hotels in the area, such as the Pontevedra. The Bahoruco Beach Resort is open. New hotels will probably go up in the Bahia de las Aguilas area. We were told a meeting took place over the Easter holiday giving green light to developers. Ecologists are against building any structures on the Bahia de las Aguilas beach area.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hotels Barahona

There is of course Hotel Bahoruco Beach which is about ten minutes drive along the coast from Barahona. I also noticed a new hotel near the exit to the coast in Barahona which has like 8 floors but no swimminig pool.

For some reason Barahona just can't seem to get Tourism going. American Eagle recently stopped flying regular flights into Maria Montez the local airport due to lack of demand. The other tourist poles exploded with devlopement after the airport opened but not Barahona. Anyone know why?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The reason why is that right now Barahona-Pedernales is made for active eco tourism appreciators, not mass tourism looking for sun and beach relaxation.

Barahona is a place for people who don't mind taking long trips in the area to discover the wonders of nature, such as Pelempito, where suddenly cactus forests turn into pine tree forests. Or Isla Cabritos, in the middle of an enormous lake whose water is three times more salty than the sea, and where crocodiles and iguanas can be easily viewed. We were three families with boys and girls aged 8 to 12 and everyone loved these trips. Of course, there is Bahia Las Aguilas beach, one of the most gorgeous in the DR. Barahona is also a bird watchers and scuba diver's dream place.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Anyone went to Barahona lately?

A friend of mine went to the city of Barahona about 2-3 years ago and was very dissapointed with the attitude of the people there. He said they were rude and agressive to the point of being threatening. He said he'd never go there again.

Knowing how Dominicans are generally very welcoming, I was very surprised. My friend is not the agressive type either; he's not the kind that will provoke others. I never went there myself, so I have no first-hand experience of the place.

Has anyone ever had this experience with the inhabitants of Barahona?