Sending Parcels UK to DR

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Can anyone recommend the best way to send parcels from England to Santo Domingo. I tried the regular post and it never arrived. I am looking into Fed Ex and DHL but they seem a little pricey. Any suggestions for a safe reasonable way?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Sending Parcels

Just be warned that using FedEx and other express couriers do not mean that it will arrive quickly , then all packages must go through customs and that is where the delay is. They will open your packages and then send a note to the receipant to go fetch the package and pay duty on it. By using these services you usually can buy insurance for what you send, but do you really want to buy everything again?

That has been my experience I would like to hear any sucess stories out there. They are so sporadic in their inspection of packeges that either way you take a gamble....

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My advice is to go with a courier like FedEx or DHL. Paying the price is better than the person this end never seeing the package.

I have had stuff sent via FedEx to here and had no problems.
Then again, I have heard of lots of people that have had problems. As someone once said, It's a gamble either way...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When it absolutly,positively has to get there!!!!!!!!

Hello........."Federal",never a problem,lots of experiance! They will come right to you to pick-up.I haVE RECEIVED CELL PHONES,2-WAY RADIOS,AND MORE,AND HAVE NEVER EVEN PAID "dUTY"!(I love that caps lock key!)CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCBut it is "Costly" about 25 dollars US for a Cigar sized box!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
FedEX......

I had a parcel sent from Canada Feb.27th by FedEx. It arrived in Miami on the 29th....then as the FedEx guy keeps telling my son it entered NEVER,NEVER land. If and When we'll get it remains to be seen. He said Fedex must use second and third party shippers to relay here to the DR. They lose control of the parcel once it leaves Miami....so they DON"T guarantee shipments from Canada to Santo Domingo............
Seeing as I leave with in the next week for home guess I'll just have to lay a claim on the insurance and bring the items with me next time I come......
The only thing we've gotten successfully thru Fedex of DHL have been legal documents. Those arrived in three days.

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
I sent letters by amtrak was quite expensive and took a lot of chasing up but got there in about 4 days and there was nothing paid on it on the other side

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I,ll have to warn Fed-Ex right away!!!!!!!

Gee MommC,thanks for the "Heads-Up" about Fed-Ex! I,m going to call Memphis right now and warn them! I guess that big office here in Santo Domingo that I drive by everyday is a Hoax! ..and all those guys in the Fed-Ex uniforms,with their hand held computer tracking systems(who make pick-ups and deliveries at the Plaza de la Salud everyday) are just "ripping us off!What will happen next! Criss Colonccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Criss......

How about I give you our tracking # and you see if you can get our package for us???????
We even stopped at the FedEx building and got no-where........
So...............

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do it yourself!

Track your package I mean!...Just go to....fedex.com........punch in the country of your choice,enter your package #,works for me! cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccCheryl...where is the Amtrak train station in Santo Domingo?

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Criss is right...

FedEx make it very easy. If you have the tracking number (every package has) then just punch it in the website and you can see the exact location of the package and movements.

It's an excellent feature, I use it all the time!

Plus their on site customer service has been very good, getting back to me via email every time and usually within 12hrs.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fed Ex best op

I think I'll go with Fed Ex. They quoted 50 UK pounds for a 10 kilo package. Sounds good to me. Thanks for all the advice

Cheers

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
You may also want to look into EPS. I have received every package sent to me and never had a problem with customs even though all packages had been opened. I use EPS from Miami but they are supposed to be world wide. they are not cheap but might be cheaped that FedEx.

At work I receive business packages via both fedEx and DHL. FedEx is definitely faster than DHL but I receive everything.