Teaching Creole in Dominican Schools

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A congressman - Elias Wessin Chavez - has just submitted a project to make it mandatory to teach creole or haitian "patua" in all dominican schools. What are this guys intention? If anything they should make it mandatory that all schools teach English, being that this is the language used for business around the world. What would the DR gain from this? Does anyone know if this guy is related to the ex-general and traitor Elias Wessin?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
i don?t know about this proposal, but I agree that they are crazy not to require English in school in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Same "Shit",different day!

This idiot,"Suarenz",is the same guy who posted that ex-presdent Doctor Balaguer,was dead.last Monday! Now this "BullShit"!Criss Colon

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
I see that the beast has been let out of its cage.

Baby Christopher,

Run along now it is grown up time.

I think that as a way mutual exchange between the
DR and Haiti both respective languages should be
taught in each others schools, what better way
to foster better relations than to communicate
in an idiom that is known by both?

Question when the Dominican and the Haitain diplomats meet despite popular belief they
do meet what tongue do you think that they
communicate in French, Spanish, English, or
Chinese?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't mess with cotuisanos....

This is how things get started...
Hey man what's your problem? Do you wanna tango with a Cotuisano? It's been a while, but I think I still remember how to carry una chata en la correa y mi machete al lado...The Balaguer thread was obviously an April fool Day's joke...or more like wishfull thinking. This thread is real...read the newspapers sometimes, instead of sitting on your fat ass calling people names...

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I usually refrain from getting involved in these discussions but I must go against Isaac Green on this one. You're stating that what better way to communicate with our neighbor then to learn their language? I think first the DR would need to have the will to want to communicate with Haiti and then think about learning their language, although I believe it would be in their interest to learn the spanish language. This is not just because the DR's economy is ahead of theirs but how many other countries speak creole? I'm sorry but in my opinion I think this would be a waste of resources as well as a waste of time! Unless (and I hope this is not the case) there is a hidden agenda to integrate both nations....hmm...makes you think, huh!

DR_DEFENDER

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What a joke!

While this was real news, this was a desperate effort by Elias Wessin Chavez to get his name in the papers, because his political party is no longer getting any attention. So he had to come up with some lunatic idea that would wake up the voters to remember the PQD(Partido Quisqueyano Democrata) which is now QPD or "Que en paz descanse"(R.I.P. Rest in Peace).

Ever since the PRD party pulled the rug from this party as an ally, which only got the votes of the Wessin family in an election, Wessin Chavez has been trying to get in the news. First it was attacking the Pan American Games of 2003, a popular punching bag, because 90% of the people are against these games. He got nowhere.

Now he took something totally unpopular, and I mean, I can almost affirm without any doubt, that 100% of Dominicans, minus him, would be against learning Creole.

No self-respecting Dominican would be caught dead speaking such a chopo lingua-franca, which is not even a language. Better yet, as a dialect it even fails the test. I have never witness a Dominican speaking voodoo. I am not saying there arent: But I can assure you they are the chopoest of the chopos.

Can you imagine Hipolito or Leonel Fernandez addressing the Haitian Chamber of Commerce(What commerce? Oh yes charcoal for cooking) in Creole? Hipolito would grow hair and Leonel would lose his afro.

Elias Wessin Chavez is the son of former inept general Elias Wessin y Wessin, who had the undistinguished record of losing our armed forces to the Caama?o rebels in 1965, making it necessary for my father and other generals to set up a temporary junta and call LBJ to save the country from a bunch of young hoodlums. Caama?os father was one of the finest generals during the Trujillo era and he would have turned in his grave had he been alive, seeing his son turn into a rebel without a cause. Caama?o went to Cuba after the revolution failed, and Fidel Castro set him up for a failed invasion to DR. Castro wanted to get rid of him. He got his wish. A mountaineer battalion of our army met him in the mountains and wiped them out. Now Caama?o is considered a national hero. Of course, Dominican heroes after Trujillo are only paper heroes, created by Jose Francisco Pe?a Gomez and his PRD party and glorified by bourgeois communists like the Fuerza de La Revolucion headed by Narciso Isa Conde and during that time by El Moreno, father of Guido Gomez Mazzara, Hipolitos legal counsel. If one goes by pedigree, these people are all turncoats who sell their soul to anybody. Just think, Balaguer, according to Guidos family executed El Moreno in Europe, yet Guido was kissing Balaguers ring two weeks ago.(Remember that famous picture posted all over the news with Mazzara holding Balaguers hand?)

When was the last time anyone has seen a Dominican man shaking hands with the person accused of killing their father?

Now, lets hear from the revisionists.

TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
With no intention of getting into a discussion with TW although sometimes he too makes me want to grab my black latex suit and my whip and go beat some sense into his head :D I must say some things.

First, English and French ARE taught in Dominican Schools. By the end of high school all students have gone thru 4 yrs of English and 2 (or is it 3?) of French. Most unfortunately the teachers are as ill prepared for the task as the students are interested in learning. A few schools, such as mine, happen to have talented, interested and interesting teachers who instiled in the children the love for the language and made sure that we DID learn.

Second, I agree with TW in that there is no interest nor advantage for Dominicans in learning Creole. I believe (and I am almost certain) that it is not even taught in Haitian schools. It is not a language in the sense that it lack the rules that govern a "living" language (or something of the such). Haitian students learn French. I believe something similar happens in Jamaica with English.

Third, I also agree with TW that maybe Wessin only wanted some air time. Tomorrow his 15 seconds of fame will be over. I hope he will not have a hangover then.

Last edited: