Boys become Men and Men become.......

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
IDIOTS!
It's now official ladies........look at the threads from the past few days.
Reminds me of the mud pie fights the "boys" used to have down at the swimming hole!
Don't you males have anything better to do than try to "upstage" one another? Even if that's all you have to keep busy let me say that your attemps at "oneupmanship" are pathetic.
I think you all need to GET A LIFE!!!

What say ladies? Do we need a forum of our own where we can intelligently discuss various subjects without being subjected to such drivel on almost every thread!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
emmm...

I could password protect it? Now that could be fun, especially as I get to take a look :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Why not???

As long as us ladies get to pick the password!
Something like....hmmmm.....I need to "consider" this carefully.
Any suggestions ladies??

Mar 21, 2002
You guys are so sensitive

Its all in fun. What are we going to talk about. Basket weaving in the DR. Maybe we should discuss which restaurant serves the best habichuela con dulce. Oh, yes we can discuss sailing in Cabarete.

Boooring, its very Dominican to sling mud and insult one another. Jealousy, envy and putting one another are down are important DR traits. If they don't do it to your face they'll do it behind you. Which one would you rather have?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don,t worry "Onions & ketchup"

Don,t worry "O&K",you,as a "Bugeron",will "Qualify" for a "Ladies" password!MoomC,on the other hand does not "Qualify! "Whut-Up"Mami,your memory going at your age? Just the other day you posted that you never claimed that you were a "Lady"."I AM A "WOMAN",not a "Lady" you said!!!..."A mind is a terrible thing to waste! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccccIf you don,t like the posts don,t read them!2c,2c,2c,2c,s!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Indeed I I did Criss......

The Queen Mum was a Lady! I am Woman- also referred to as lady (note the use of caps.....)
Therefore I do "qualify".........hmmmmm

While I never said I was a Lady I am referred to as such by males with a good command of the English language.

:D

I thought there was a good disscussion going on Free trade until the "boys" got at it.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I have to say I agree with MommC, this forum sucks lately. I only read the latest mudslinging posts because I was really bored one day. And even then it was not entertaining.

And there are a lot more interesting topics than basket weaving in the DR, there is a happy medium in there somewhere. Some here may be surprised but where chauvinism and immaturity end, actual REAL LIFE begins, things such as art, culture, literature, films, books, politics and real discussions about how all these topics play out in the DR, which is what this board about anyway, no?

On that note, has anyone seen the Goya dibujos exhibit in Santo Domingo? I am interested in feedback anyone has.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This forum is only what you make it. Why don't you do something to change it, rather than put it down, get proactive make a difference!

If you support the forum in a positive way, I will make sure the threads remain intelligent and keep out the idiots.

It's in your hands people...

Mar 21, 2002
Will everyone just relax

and do some yoga or something. Oh brother its alright the way it is. You need some spice in life. Get with it man.

Hey Criss its Carrots not Ketchup. What does Onions have to do with Ketchup?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Bugsey

Bug:

It might interest you to know that even while "mudslinging" I inject cultural values and information in any "attack" or "counter-attack".

I have not seen Goya's drawings. I have seen so many giant Goya paintings at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, that I would be dissapointed at the drawings. I am not much into drawings. That's one of the failings of our museums. They are not capable of attracting major exhibits. I grew up going on a weekly basis to the MOMA on 53rd. street, N.Y. and once you experience that and the Guggenheim, it is hard to inspire yourself to attend local exhibitions, which are mostly outmoded.

But, I will invite you thru DR1 to an exhibit on Minimalism coming next May which I am producing in cooperation with the Manuel del Cabral Foundation. I guarantee you you will at least see something different from the Haitian naive paintings that have taken over our art shops, museums and streets. Art in DR has been chopisized or chopasized. For fresh avant-garde art I recommend strongly Carmen Rita Arte Actual, at Avenida Sarasota, almost corner Abraham Lincoln at the Torre Empresarial(first floor gallery).

But take for instance our Museum of Modern Art. They are showing a retrospective of artist Candido Bido called "El Alma del Artista". My feeling is that Candido Bido does not belong in a modern art museum. His paintings could easily be confused by tourists with art being sold in Boca Chica by buhoneros selling Haitian naive painting. What does he do? He believes drawing and coloring a pigeon is modern art. Quite a waste of brush skills for such talented brushwork technician. 95% of his paintings look alike, with the same themes and little innovation in coloring techniques.

Turning into habichuela con dulce, I recommend strongly the ample use of raisins and galleticas in the mix. For instance, for every 15oz. of bean soup mix for habichuela con dulce, I add a small box of raisins(Ligo or Del Monte) the one that costs about $4 pesos and a bag of galleticas. So in every spoon you take you will get at least one or two pieces of the delicious ingredients. Place enough cloves and cinnamon sticks for spicing. My batata pieces are cut small. Dominican women like to use huge chunks, which produce too much acid in your stomach. And I strain the mix to be sure there are no whole beans left. In my opinion, there is nothing more disagreeable than finding a whole bean in habichuela con dulce. Always use Carnation evaporated milk.

Sorry, I have no suggestions for crochet, basket weaving and trenzitas today. MommC, give me a hand in here.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"golo",stop causing trouble here on the "Open"

Criss, I edited out your post. Sometimes I cannot move threads.

Let's try and keep this thread intune with Golo's post.

Thanks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can't help you out much there Golo!

I'm not in to basket weaving et al (have you ever tried to get those trencita's outta your hair!!!! What a nightmare! Did the "tourist" thing first time I was here and that was enough!)
I'm more in to things like archealogy and ancient civilizations. Can't wait to go to Egypt this fall to see the Cairo Museum exhibits......love poking around Rome (especially where the tourist never get to see) and hope some day to make it to England,Peru and Mexico. I like nature studies (as in caves and plants etc.
I'd love to get together sometime to "learn" how you make habichuela's con dulce. I've never had it but it sounds great (not sure what all the ingredients are (galletica's?? some kind of cookie/cracker aren't they?)) and I have a slight sweet tooth. My "other" half doesn't eat sweets so while I'm a great cook I don't do much in the "dessert" dept.
I've already suggested to Dolores a forum for recipes....there are a few in the Living section but not many.
Have you had a chance to see the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit? We were fortunate enough to be visiting my brother in Victoria a few years back when it was there. Fascinating stuff!! I didn't realize we shared a trait. I too can right backwards and upside down with my left hand as well as my right! (Thought it was a neat trick when I was a youngster in school!) :D

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Was that the mighty hand of Robert editing that post out? I couldn?t tell. Thanks whoever it was, though!

Golo - I asked about the Goya drawings because I am studying here in Madrid for the spring semester at the Universidad de Carlos Tercero through the Middlebury program, so I have needless to say been a little over-goya-exposed myself. But I was interested because I have been going to some drawing exhibits here just to check them out - there is a great one on Amor y Muerte here at the Biblioteca Nacional de Espa?a. You should go by the Goyas and look, they are more interesting than they may seem.

As for modern art, I must say I am normally not a big fan anyway, and am not familiar with Candido Bido. Most (not all) of modern art in my opinion is something thrown together and then labeled 'art', I don?t know if anyone is familiar with the recent modern art exhibit in London which was pieces of trash... literally, pieces of trash thrown around 'artfully'. Well needless to say, when the janitor came by to clean the night of the opening he threw away the 'exhibit' and the galery owners spent the night digging the 'trash art' out of the real 'trash'. I have been too busy with the Prado (and the Uffizi last semester!) to pay attention to much modern art. I will still be here in May, so unfortunately I won?t be able to attend the minimalist exhibit. I can tell my boyfriend to go, and get his take on it though!

As an open question, what are the exhibitions like in the DR anyway, is there lots of new stuff coming in, or as Golo says, they don?t have the pull to get the big works? What about Dominican films, or music performances, does anyone here go to these things regularly? Are they expensive?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
MommC - have you been to Pompeii? I highly recommend it if you haven?t. Touristy, albeit, but so interesting!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You Bet Bugsy!!

Luckily BEFORE it got too touristy!!! I'll probably be back there late Sept. as my son's wives want us to take all of them on a "tour" of Italy.
We've been lucky (and unlucky) in that my husband comes from Italy,grew up in Rome and we've been able to see things not normally open to tourists per se. Like one time we were at Tivoli and there was a custodians strike on. One of the few guards on duty was a "paesano" and let us into the part of the villa that is not open. What wonderful frescos on the walls and ceilings!! Thank goodness I smoke as all the windows were blacked out and there was no electricity. So we viewed them by the poor light of my "Bic" and took photo's of the ones we liked best to have a better look later. Unfortunately when we got home my husband took the photos to work to show some friends (with the negatives still in the packs) and some dirty dog stole them from his locker!!! Ah wellllll......at least we have faint memories of them.
This time I'm hoping to have a look at Pompeii's sister city Herculeum (forgive the spelling I'm not sure exactly what is the name.) There have been excavations going on for some time now under the modern city above.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
MommC....

In Habichuelas con dulce, galleticas are those little usually small circle shape cookies (kind of like minature baby cookies). You add them in after it's made. It's so good!!!!!!! You can buy them anywhere! I usually got them form the corner colmado

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
And batata is???

Now if O&C wants to try a little yoga.......
Mon., Wed., Fri., at the gymnasium of Hotel Flor di Loto, Juan Dolio.
Mara is the instructor -studied yoga for several yrs in Italy before moving to India for 3 yrs for in depth study. You should see the gams on this gal!!! She speaks Italian,Spanish,English,French, and Hindi with a smattering of several other languages so that's no problem. She gears the class to the abilities of the participants with some of the class at "beginner" level and others more advanced doing a more advanced pose. She also incorporates a bit of a warm up and cool down so it's a great way to get in shape and does wonders for your golf game!