Local Food and seafood

Italiano

Apr 4, 2002
My last trip to the caribbean was a disaster food wise, we spent a week at the Bahamas and was really really disappointed, I love fresh seafood (that doesn't include salmon LOL can get that anywhere in the US LOL) and I'm very adventurus... I love to taste new dishes, is this trip to DR going to be a memorable one (foodwise) or am I in for another Bahamas experience? if there is a site with local dishes please share

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It would help a lot if you just tell us WHERE in DR you'll stay. I am sure that once we know you'll be showered with suggestions. Don't worry, food is one of our strong points...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you enjoy seafood, again, our recommendation is to stay at one of the small hotels in Samana. In Las Terrenas (right within the beach fronting restaurant strip) there is a fish shop where you can buy fresh fish to make at your apartment.

Another option is to stay in Cabarete, where like Samana there are many small restaurants right on the beach with fresh fish. Like Samana, you wont need a reservation in October and we suggest you just come on down and check out the properties. Lots to choose from.

Again, as explained in the other post to you, if you like to cook on your own, Samana/Las Terrenas is a better option because of the well stocked supermarket in Las Terrenas.

My recommendation is that you first check out the travel destinations within the DR and narrow down where you want to stay.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yo Tony

A beer Tony,reach for a beer!A cigar Tony,reach for a cigar!The Bahamas are close enough...Since when do you have to be a geography major to post on DR1.Some "Stone Crabs" Tony,reach for some "Stone Crabs"! I,ll be on Cape Cod next week,eating,"Real Lobsters","Bay" scallops,mussels-in-garlic and tomato,"steamers",clams,Wellfleet oysters,seafood chowder,sole,cod,flounder,(SCROD)and "Indian Pudding" for desert!Criss Colon(Sadly Dominican Seafood leaves much to be desired)but the beer,"Presidente" is great!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Criss,
I catch my own lobsters during the season here. Maine lobster? What culinary ignorance!
Scallops, mussles, steamers, clams, oysters! I refuse to eat anything that derives its nurishment by filtering out the crap in the water!
Sole, Cod, Flounder? Christ dude! What do you do? Eat the trash fish that they dump from the nets? Give me some Grilled Dolphin or Baked Snook. Caught by me of course!
When I am in The DR I prefer Red Snapper. And I am not talking about the Fish!

Tony C.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As we say,"Down Here"

"Put away the shrimp Mami,Sisters bring,n home the "Crabs!",I,d sooner eat my "Down" pillow,than a "Spiny Lobsrer"!"Pass the watah,I,m die,n ova heah!"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
seafood and dining

I personally was disappointed with the seafood in the DR. It all tasted like bottom feeding fish to me.

Now for the more helpful portion of my post: If you want to try something really cool, check out the Blue Moon. It is located on the Moca highway not far from Cabarete. Min of 8 people, reservation required. It is typical Indian food, served under a palm-roofed hut, on a banana leaf. Great food, but the atmosphere is what I would go for. Real unique and great time. Runs you about $250RD plus drinks. Taxis know how to get there...I am so sorry, but I no longer have the phone number.

take care
marc