Buying a pick-up truck ?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hi guys, I am investigating to buy a good condition second-hand pick-up truck. One of those called "doble cabina", meaning it has 4 doors. A 2x4 would be good enough, maybe with a diesel engine. Does anyone of you know a decent agency in the region of Puerto Plata or Santiago, or anyone might be willing to sale his ? Thanks for your insights...

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
La Vega

Try La Vega it is full of quality second hand dealers and is a good place for pick-ups.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are tons of them in Santiago and Moca and La Vega. Even Mao. I think you will get a better deal in Santiago, but that's not Gospel, by any means.

Try the local Newspaper-> La Informaci?n. The Classifieds in the List?n Diario are pretty good, too.

You might want to limit you pick to Toyota, since their diesels are renowned to be quite sturdy and most mechanics know them, and I have heard that Mistsubishi is getting a good reputation these days.

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
When you go shopping- and do plenty of it- be sure to take along a good mechanic or at least someone who is mechanically inclined. Check everything including all locks, doors, lights, and other equipment and of course the engine and drivetrain. Also, low mileage on an odometer has little to do with a low mileage vehicle. Buy a vehicle based on condition-not mileage alone. Odometers lie! Perhaps a better indicator of wear and tear than the odometer are the brake and accelerator pedals and condition of the uphostery if it is original. Also, pay attention to the tires. Sometimes they can say a lot.