When is it proper for men to wear white suits?

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Hello,

Recently I read on a DR themed web page that the "proper" Dominican Man will own a white suit, as it is required for certain occasions.

I am having trouble placing what type of event (Easter service?) would call for a white suit.

I sent an email to the main at the listin diario who answers questions, and he never replied?

Can any one enlighten me?

Respectfully,
Tamara Alvarado
"Montessorian"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you want to join the Partido Revolucionario Dom.

The "PRD" faithful wear their white suits to show their party affiliation.I trust you have had your "First Communion"?Other than that,and Julio Iglecias,I have not seen a white suit.Are you from Miami,or Napoli? then forget the suit! Criss Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
they used to be used

years ago, the white suits were 'de rigor" for formal government occasions. Especially for ribbon cutting and such. Also for the speech the 27 th of February in Congress and on the National Holidays. Also used at funerals and Te Deum masses...
Not seen as much any more...

Of course our current guy likes open collar

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
they used to be used

years ago, the white suits were 'de rigor" for formal government occasions. Especially for ribbon cutting and such. Also for the speech the 27 th of February in Congress and on the National Holidays. Also used at funerals and Te Deum masses...
Not seen as much any more...

Of course our current guy likes open collar guayaberas and chacabanas of the finest linen.

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Response to: From a Woman's Viewpoint

(Gemini) ....................never.

Why? They're the one's to clean it or take it (him?) to the cleaner's. Regards, PJT

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I know this isn't what you meant in your question, but there is a religion found mainly in the DR and PR called Mite Arron (spelling???). They believe that on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (maybe Sundays, too, I cannot remember), you are only allowed to wear white clothing.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I brought a white suit out from England with me 10 years ago. Not being Julio Iglesias, a Member of the PRD (shudders, could ANY thinking person support them???), nor into Governmental Formal occassions any more, I don't thinke I have worn the suit more than 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years. I used to wear it to weddings of Brits. out here on holiday to get married (I DID try to disuade the fellas - honest Chris!!). I HAVE worn it at a funeral service - got some funny looks from the Gringo community but some respectful glances from the Dominican mourners where white IS acceptable I gather.

Where's the reply from Dominicans best dressed man? Robert????

Grahame Bush.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Here's a link from this same website. http://dr1.com/living/customs/2.shtml

I think it is called a Tropical formal suit, or some such. It is still used in some VERY formal ocassions held during the day where a tuxedo would be used if it was held in the night time. The best known one being the inauguration of presidents in DR. I've seen it used in weddings held in the daytime. Of course I am not the fashion expert, less yet in men's fashion. Some one will come forward and kick me for my ignorance if I am wrong.

When I was a kid doctors dressed in white in their everyday activities. All white, down to the neck tie and socks. I thought they look handsome and made a statement. I remember Dr. Kundhart and Dr. Menieur, two old doctors from my hometown all dressed in white for Sunday morning mass. Whatever happened to that? :(

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
DOCTORS

Pib,

As in the rest of the world, doctors, nurses, and techs are moving away from the strict formal "WHITES". I can't remember the last time I saw a nurse with her white hat on.

IMHO: I think the typical "White Lab Coat" places a barrier between the doctor and the patient that hinders, if not prevents a solid, meaningful "physician/patient relationship".

Do doctors really need a "uniform" to impress/intimidate the patient?

Which dress mode would you prefer when visiting a new doctor? The stiff white lab coat with all the trimmings or someone casually dressed [not Sloppy!] who only wishes to impress you with his/her caring for you and your health?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that doctors used all-white suits outside hospitals. That's why I mentioned Sunday mass.

What I liked doctors to wear? White lab coats. I don't want them to look like "normal", I want then to look like they know what they're doing. :) Place a barrier? sure, why not? I don't want them to be my friends, I'd rather have the professional approach. But I only speak for myself.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Slightly OT, but Pib, in Sosua there's a street called Eugenio Kundhart...Same doctor? Who are these Kundharts anyhow?

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
SUNDAY WHITES

Pib,

I misunderstood the first part about whites and Sundays. I stand corrected.

As far as what patients prefer their doctors to wear, you are one of the RARE few who prefer the doctor in a white uniform.

Lastly.......To become "friends" with your personal/family doctor never percludes he/she from being a profesional. A white lab coat does not a good doctor make, and the relationship that the two of you build is THE most important thing. :)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Jane J.[/B] said:
Slightly OT, but Pib, in Sosua there's a street called Eugenio Kundhart...Same doctor? Who are these Kundharts anyhow?
Yes, they are related. There was a first Kundhart who arrived from Germany in the 19th century I believe. I read somewhere that the guy fought in our side in one war or the other (there have been so few that I have no idea which) and got himself hero status. If I had the "Encliclopedia Dominicana" here I would look it up, he is there. If anyone has it pls. help

This Dr. Kundhart is 90+ yo, and a handsome old man who still dresses all white. He was governor of Monte Cristi for a few terms during Balaguer's time in power. But he is most famous for having being head of the Municipal Hospital for a lot of time when things ran the right way there. After he left the hospital things went downwards. He is also known for having quite a character, don't mess with the good ol' doc.

Last edited: