No more Scandinavian charter flights to DR?

Svein

Apr 8, 2002
www.hovik.com
Hi all!
I just read the most disturbing news. As from autumn 2002, all Scandinavian charter operators will discontinue their flights to the Dominican Republic. Having had 3 wonderful trips to the country in 18 months this is close to a tragedy. My wife and I would still like to find a reasonably priced alternative to go there in January/February 2003 - does anyone have any tips - preferably from Oslo or Gothenburg?

Svein

Tana

Apr 8, 2002
www.geocities.com
I don't know if this will help, but I was thinking of going back in the fall and was dismayed to see that my new travel brochure didn't offer any service into POP. Their website still had all the resorts listed as available, so I emailed them and asked as I was very concerned they had no service going there. They replied that the new catalog was for charters only, but they still offered connecting services into POP and the various resorts that were listed on their website.

We had a charter in '00 and '01, but this year (last month) we had to connect in Miami. It wasn't that bad and it wasn't any more expensive to go this route, especially to get to the place we wanted to go.

I guess my advice is to call them to see if they offer connecting flights. Providing you don't mind layovers that is.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Svein
Where did you hear that ? I just send a mail to my charter company. Waiting for answer. Anyway, i understand that KLM/Martnair have fligts to Pop with a stop in Santo domingo.

Svein

Apr 8, 2002
www.hovik.com
I read it in one of the big Norwegian newspapers, VG I think. I have sent a mail to the charter operators I have previously used to DR, namely Ving and Saga Tours, and unfortunately they have both confirmed that DR is removed from their next autumn/winter program. The reason, according to the Marketing Director of Ving, is that the market has not fulfilled their expectations. This is a little surprising to me. On the 3 occations that I have gone there both in "high" and "low" seasons by DR definition, all seats - or at least 99% - have been filled. The only charter operator in Norway who will continue flying directly to the Caribbean now is Apollo, but as far as I've heard they only fly to Cuba.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes this was disturbing news, just got the answer from Saga. I wrote a complaint letter at once. Well, I'm going back there with KLM/Martinair anyway, but it wil be a bit more exensive and complicated. I guess this will hurt tourism on the northcost a bit, especially if this regards all the scandinavian countries.

armin

Jan 8, 2002
To Svein

Hi i am alsoo an norwegian from oslo, men naa bor jeg i santo domingo, the easiest way and cheapest way is: Drop vings or star tours TOO EXPENSIVE. go to International Tour in Torgata.
They will get you a cheap ticket for 6-7000 Kr. the route is always the same Oslo- Paris and from paris To Santo domingo.

Ha en god tur.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note for Svein or anyone else that knows

What is the e-mail address for these companies that said that the Dominican Republic did not "fulfill their expectations" ?

I would like to get some feedback on this.

thank you kindly,
Ha en god tur,/ Does this mean " have a good trip??"

HB

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Armin I'm also form Oslo, what does a Norwewgian diong in Santo Domingo ? Are you working or have you retired ?
The price mentioned with Air France is about the same as a seat with a charter, but when you want to go to Sosua, it's more comfortable with a direct fligth Oslo - POP. How are the connections between Santo Domingo and POP ?

armin

Jan 8, 2002
Halla Tor

Tor det blir nok et par ?r til jeg pensjonerer meg ja, im just 18 and gonna start studying here,if u want to go to sousa? dont call vings or saga, bestill en tur retur som koster deg mye billigere. og reserver en uke eller mer p? et hotell ( all inclusive ) som kommer p? ca. 3000 kr.
connections from S.D to POP i dont know anything about, there are sure alot of other people on this forum that can tell you that.
i dident know about the non stop flight from Oslo - sousa, where did u find that?
anyhow-
hvis du kommer en tur til santo domingo.. f?r jeg kj?pe en ?l for deg??? hadde v?rt fint og snakke norsk igjen.
:)

Last edited:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Armin
All charter fligths from Norway has been directly to Puerto Plata. I never goes to all inclusives, much better at smaller hotels. Thanks for the beer invitasion, however i'm not sure i'm going to Santo Domingo, I like it so much in Sosua.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tor

Thank you for those addresses.

You are always welcome for some beer and cigars in Santiago..

Let me know.

Ha en god tur!

HB

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
He he, who need charters anyway ? Just booked my november trip with KLM, and booked in on my favorite hotel Don Andres in Sosua. No problem.
re Hilbilly. Thanks for the invitation. I will stay 4 weeks, and might take a trip to Santiago.