Spanish Reggae

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I know we've touched on the topic of music a lot, however is there anyone out there that enjoys spanish reggae? I'm looking for some new songs, any suggestions? What is popular right now?

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for the reply Jan.....

I didn't think that anyone was going to answer me on this one. I've never heard of either of those groups, so I'll have to check them out!
I've been listening to Trebol Clan and they are pretty good, as well I love the song gitana by mala fe. baby rasta y gringo, cierra los ojos bien, is a great song too! I'm just trying to find some more current stuff.
I haven't been able to find much dj joe on winmx or any cabaluchy. Do you know them?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jan,

I know everybody has their own tastes but Spanish reggae? I put that under the same category as Latin Rock. Lame! I can't help but laugh when I hear a singer belting out a line in spanish followed up by a "oh yea"! Makes me want to pull out an old Peter Tosh LP and clear my head!
BTW Celine Dion is the Antichrist. It use to be Michael Bolton but luckily he has been relegated to touring county fairs!

Tony C.

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Country Fairs

Now were talkin' how about a little Billie Ray Cryus "Achy Breaky Heart" with a mullet style hairdo to boot? I can smell the elephant ears right now....yuck.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
just got back from Puerto Rico and the clubs sucked there. The only thing most of them played was spanish reggae which was ok for a little bit but obnoxious after one night. Being Puerto Rico and all I was expeting some salsa clubs but now I am surprised "some" people even spoke spanish.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Are we talking about el reggaet?n? Don't care for it much...

I love Man?, though, which is reggae-inspired. And, uhh, Transfusi?n used to be good...

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Yeah, I am talking about reggaeton. I'm surprised no one likes it! I love it! It just is so much fun and it makes you want to dance. So, I guess no one has any suggestions then, eh? I guess it was really popular with the younger crowd when I was there, really popular.....
Jane J, I'll have to check out those groups.
Jan, checked out King Chambo, it was kinda of a mellow reggae, it didn't really grab my attention. Thanks for the suggestion.
Baby Rasta y gringo, tra, tra, tra, another good one!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Try This

Reggaeton is just funny. I've never figured out what the big attraction is, most of the songs are just degrading to women anyways but they seem to love it. Just listen to words .... "beyaco, beyaco, beyaco" & "quiero que te quites la ropa"

While in PR i got introduced to this spanish reggae group I never heard before. It's nothing like Reggaeton but download a few tracks and see what you think. The name of the group is "Pericos" - I have their cd but only like a few tracks. Let me know what you think.

Latin Rock is not bad at all. Some bands I've heard try immitate Rock and that's where they go wrong. The really good bands have their own style. My favorites are: Mana, Jarabe de Palo, Cafe Quijano, La Ley, Enanitos Verdes, Virus, Heroes de Silencio, Nek, Miguel Bose

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
jane....

i loved transfussion!! i still play their cd in my salon all the time, my clients always say"wow, who is that?" brings back memories of a night at the new wave......ahhhhhh

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah, those were the days. "Dame tu amor que yo estaba esperando-ohh...Mujer, mujer..." Sniff sniff.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Really I think the latin reggue is ok but love the real stuff more...Yellowman...Peter Tosh...Shabba Ranks...and of course the Marleys...but latly I'm getting songs from my youth. Does that mean I'm getting meloncoly? Remember Dr. Dimento?("Theeyer coming to take me away" and "Flying purple people eater") and Melany(Rollerskate song")...how about the Monkees?Now thats some good music....very chic....jjejej

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Dr. Demento is the host of a weekly radio show that features Hunorous and weird songs.
Their Cooming to take me away was song by Napoleon 14th. "flying purple people eater" was done by a guy name Sheb wooly. Dr. Demento is most famous for discovering Weird Al Yankovic. My Favorite song that washeard on the Dr's show was a little ditty by a group called Barnes & Barnes tittled "Fish Heads" and who can forget "Dead Puppies"?
The song by Melanie was called "Brand new Key"

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
DR Techie

How did you make a mistake like going to Puerto Rico to dance salsa?

Puerto Ricans dont even know what salsa is. They dance even worse than Dominicans. We got better salsa clubs here in DR and that is a lot to say.

Salsa is a New York creation. Its is the creation of New York-Ricans(Puerto Ricans from New York) most of whom have never been to Puerto Rico and were never born there. Guys like Joe Bataan, Larry Harlow(the Jew), Eddie and Charlie Palmieri, Willie Colon, Ismael Miranda and the Salsa All Stars were the real creators of this movement without precedence in Latin music.
Being a member of the Salsa All Stars was a badge of honor.

Salsa is the greatest invention in Latin music. It is the best and the finest. Groups like el Gran Combo from Puerto Rico were not real salsa players. They played Guaguanco, an old fashion rumba or mambo music.

Salsa was a stylized version of this with finer instrumentation and a Fred Astaire kind of flair. Dancing this was an art. I learned to dance salsa with the originals at Roseland,Bonds, Colgate Gardens, The incredible St. George Hotel in Brooklyn and in clubs on 14th. st. in Manhattan. We could all dance with two and three girls at the same time turning those girls at almost two turns a second. Puerto Rican girls from New York were the ultimate dancers. Many of us later moved on to "Hustle", another super fast salsa like version of the Saturday Night Fever dance style. This was for super experts only.

You will never find real salsa in PR. Their new great singers like Gilberto Santa Rosa, Tito Rojas and Victor Manuelle are no match for the old guys. Even today Willie Colon old songs are preferred by true salsa dancers. The only new singer that matches this super star quality is Marc Anthony. The Grupo Niche is in my opinion the best salsa band today.

Miami is also a nice spot for salsa. There are great dancers there. Many Cubans are really good at it. They go to Mystique and Iguana club. They have really good steps with their own flavor to it.

TW

Mar 21, 2002
Pope Golo IV

You seem to have an answer for everything. Is there anything you don't know? You seem to do alot of PONTIFICATING.Now you are also an expert on salsa.

Ask Robert to make the TW-Golo column which will feature yourself as the expert.

It will be titled "All things not worth knowing"

By the way what the heck does Golo mean? Does it have any similarity to Borx?

Oye, just having a little fun.No te me aceleres ni t enojes but seriously Golo- what is that?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Salsa is the best !!!

Yeah, TW is right on that one, NYC's salsa is the best ! I had a double CD of the best of the salsa festival in NYC, with a bit of everything, it was really wicked ! The best duo was Willy Colon and Ruben Blades...

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Okay, but back to Reggae again, I listened to Kingo Chango and don't really like them or Los Pericos, they are too old school I think. Sorry Techie, not huge into the Latin Rock scene. It's okay, but doesn't do much for me. Thanks for the suggestions though, I checked a few out.
Still can't find cabaluchy anywhere. Any more suggestions?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
O & C

Just for fun and games, I will invite you and any of the girls here in DR1, or friends related to meet me at any club, be it Olas in Boca Chica, Jubilee on Thursday, or Palacio de la Salsa on Friday and challenge any of the girls to try to keep up with me dancing salsa.

This is no B.S. If anyone of the guys can dance better than me I will pay for his admission and drinks and fill up his tank with premium unleaded.

TW

Mar 21, 2002
Its always about fun and games

I sincerely hope everyone on DR1 knows that any supposed feuds between us and any other group is just for fun.

I think someone else posted a while back about all this bickering.Hey we are just having a little fun.Sorry but I am in Miami right now but we will all get together soon.