Flights to the UK?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anyone know of the best deals at the moment to fly fron either SDQ or POP to the UK? Charter, Air France, whoever...

Thanks in advance.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Flights to UK

Flights to POP FROM the UK are cheap, far cheaper than SDQ or La Romana. Try Britannia Airways if you are looking for a direct flight. If you don't mind going via Madrid Iberia is not too bad or going via Paris then Air France.

I presume flights TO the UK from POP would be cheaper also.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Flights to UK

Don't know if this will assist any - www.britanniaairways.com
This website brings up the tour operators that use that airline and I think you have to book through them rather than through britannia itself. The tour operators are Thomson and Lunn Poly. The number for the latter in the UK is 0870 1647002. If you like I could call them and see if I can get any better information for you?

Otherwise as I mentioned before Air France www.airfrance.co.uk is another website I use. You can get onto their main website from this link.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Flights to the UK

OK Robert, I took the liberty of calling anyway as this was something that I will need to sort for somebody else at a later date.

I called Lunn Poly and spoke to a lady called Dawn. She said it is very difficult to book from DR - UK - DR. However if it not impossible. She says she would need more exact details of when you would want to travel, which airport etc etc.

She says if you call after 5:00 p.m. UK time (remember we are 5 hours ahead of you) and could put in a call and see what (if anything) she could find. Remember they are just a tour operator not direct agents. She says that in addition to Britannia Airways that Monarch Arilines fly that route but neither companies have an office in the DR although Thomson do. (that may be something you want to look into).

Her offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. London time. The main number is 0870 164 7002 her extension is 6288. She is very happy to try and help you.

She said however, in all probability, a scheduled flight will be easier to arrange but these are not direct - depending on airline via Madrid, Paris etc etc.

There is also another website you can try www.skydealsinfo.co.uk their number here is 0870 801 2345
Open Mon-Fri 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sun 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

These guys are independent.

So there you are. Nobody ever said it was easy!

Can you let me know how you get on? As I said, I will need to carry out this exercise for myself sometime.

D
They are usually quite good and I have used them also. They can also find you details of scheduled flights.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for the replies...

I spoke to Thomson and they are going to look into it.
When I figure it out, I will post all the details, names etc on the board.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Rob.
Thomsons is normally the first call & their policy of "Booking only through head office in Britain" stinks (unless you can find a way round this!!). Cosmos, J.M.C. & Airtours are other charter companies you can have a word with. Cosmos USED to be ?180 - ?200 for the one way trip. If you need me to handle it with the tour companies up here, let me know & I will see what I can achieve for you. Do you want ONE WAY (in which case I am sure a few of this board wil gladly contribute!!!!) or do you have a set date/time frame to return for?

Ginnie (She that must be obeyed) is going back in May for her medical MOT tests, & she has a pretty keen eye for the best deal going (HELL, she chose ME didn't she??). After much searching of the internet, we came up with Continental via Newark NJ which cost ?565 for the round trip. Bearing in mind this is SCHEDULE & therefor wider seats & more leg space PLUS extra luggage allowance (& you KNOW what females are like at shopping when in a foreign land!!), we thought this was a good deal. Even if Thomsons came up with ?180 for a one way, & IF we could get a flight only from England at ?300 (doubtful these days) this would only be ?75 cheaper, & for the cramped, hard seats & less baggage allowance, we thought the schedule was the better value for money. Continental fly to/from Gatwick to/from Puerto Plata which is more convenient for us, but I am sure they do a Sto. Dgo. Newark NJ flight too for onwards to Gatwick. Watch the overnight stay in Newark on the return trip though!

Ought Else?? If so, contact me. Regards - Grahame.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Flights to UK

Grahame

I have to say I agree with your post. We are flying back to the DR at the end of May and have decided to use a schedule flight for all the reasons you listed.

We are flying IBERIA from Heathrow going via Mardrid at a cost of ?481.90. When we land at Madrid there is less than 2 hours from the time you step off one plane to the time you take off again on the next one - just long enough for them to "mislay" your luggage I guess!

D.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey Rob.......

Due to all my recent research :D I have a suggestion! Don't know if it will make sense or not.....frankly I'm too mind-boggled to think it over but.......
If you are a British citizen you could hop a charter for Toronto or Montreal for about $350 Can (around 3500 pesos) and then fly from there.
You might want to search Air Canada or British Airways or a myriad of other airlines for cheap flights to England from Canada!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for all the replies!

I spoke to Thomson and this is what they told me.

We can offer 1 way seats from Dom Rep to UK - we operate from La Romana and
Puerto Plata in to Gatwick and Manchester.
In order to book seats from the Dom rep we will need confirmation that you
are a UK p/p Holder, also we will need your original flight details
from UK - Dom Rep as we can only sell seats if you have traveled there
from the UK on a Charter flight, in the last 12 months.

Name: Andy Cooper
Email: Andy_Cooper@thomson.co.uk
Tel: 0207 200 8300

Basically the charters can't help me. Looks like I'll pursue Grahames idea,
also appears to be the best and cheapest option, plus it gives me the
flexibility of changing dates etc.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
E-mail response to yours to me is on the way (already sent!!).

Continental Tel. No. in Sto Dgo (free phone No.) is 1 200 3295. Amauri is the guy for NON fluent Spanish speakers as his English is EXCELLENT.

Price (the cheaper MID-Week flights) PoP/Newark N.J. to London Gatwick & return, is RD $13,056 (?535).. bust must be a FIXED date of return or alteration fee will be imposed!!?? It may be cheaper from Sto Dgo but it is CERTAINLY cheaper from UK to DR. So, if you are a Brit coming regularly coming to the DR & want to travel in comfort rather than cramped up (& more baggage) give Continental a buzz in the UK.

Happy travelling - Grahame.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Or try Martinair and then Easyjet or KLM (uk)

Martinair MP603 depart from SDQ and POP every friday, and Puerto Plata, Punta Cana every Wednesday or Puerto Plata 1stop at Holguin (Cuba), arrive next day in Amsterdam.

You can get then KLM (or KLM uk/cityhopper) or Easyjet

www.klm.nl (KLM Royal Dutch Ailrines) (english adn dutch language)

www.easyjet.com (cheap flights from AMS to the UK) (english language)

www.martinair.nl (english and dutch language)