"A marriage without divorce" Hippo and JB Aristide are on the right path.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Yes,

For all of you nay sayers and doom seekers the latest announcement by Hippo and Aristide made, mind you in no less of places- Haiti proves the
positive steps that can be made when the DR and
Haiti realize their mutual short comings and strive to a seek a mutually satisfactory arrangement to remedy them. The latest step with many more to come will help to bring about a lessening in tensions between the two countries
in time create jobs for both Hatians and Dominicans and continue to serve as an example to
all of those that doubt there can ever be any meaninnful bi-laterial efforts with the two often
at opposite ends countries.

My entire thrust a few weeks ago was to show that
good things despite a history of bad can still be born between these two great nations.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No one is disputing that co-operation

can lead to good things for both countries.
The Domincans just don't want to be "invaded" by Haitians who are undocumented,uneducated,unskilled, uncivilized, and have a natural tendency to destroy the land beneath their feet.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Christopher lets see your intellectual contribution here.

Chris

We are all well aware of your prowess for making us laugh, let's now see if you can intellectualize
on a topic of great exigence between the DR and
Haiti.

If not run along until the topic turns to has any
one every seen Elvis in a dress in Santo Domingo
or something on those lines.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Isaac,ya kinda sorta got me in a prediktament.....

....hear,cud ya hep mi out a littel bite?I dont waant ya ta thinc Im makin fun of ya,BUTT,i need ya ta tel me whut "exigence" is awl aboout?Thanc ya kindlay..."Elvis in Drag,not even in the Dominican Republic,you, I wouldn,t be very surprised!Criss Colon

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Criss.......

ex?i?gen?cy [?ksjnsee , ?gzjnsee , ig z?jjnsee ] (plural ex?i?gen?cies) or ex?i?gence [?ksjns , ?gzjns ] (plural ex?i?gences) noun (formal)

1. urgent need: something that a situation demands or makes urgently necessary and that puts pressure on the people involved (often used in the plural) unable to cope with the exigencies of political life

2. something needing immediate action: a difficult situation requiring urgent action

[Late 16th century. From late Latin exigentia , from the Latin present participle stem exigent- of exigere "to demand, require" (see exact ).]

The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

exigence

SYLLABICATION: ex?i?gence
PRONUNCIATION: ks-jns
NOUN: Exigency.

One entry found for exigency.

Collegiate Thesaurus
Entry Word: exigency
Function: noun
Text: 1
Synonyms JUNCTURE 2, contingency, crisis, crossroad(s), emergency, pass, pinch, strait, turning point, zero hour
Related Word difficulty, hardship, rigor, vicissitude; dilemma, fix, jam, pickle, scrape; pressure, urgency
Synonyms NEED 4, necessity
Related Word demand, imperativeness, insistence, requirement; coercion, compulsion, constraint; duress, pressure, urgency
Idioms matter of life and death
One entry found for exigency.

Entry Word: exigency
Function: noun
Text: 1
Synonyms JUNCTURE 2, contingency, crisis, crossroad(s), emergency, pass, pinch, strait, turning point, zero hour
Related Word difficulty, hardship, rigor, vicissitude; dilemma, fix, jam, pickle, scrape; pressure, urgency
Synonyms NEED 4, necessity
Related Word demand, imperativeness, insistence, requirement; coercion, compulsion, constraint; duress, pressure, urgency
Idioms matter of life and death

IN OTHER WORDS....Isaac's command of the English language leaves much to be desired. Are we sure he's American??? I always knew their education system was not as good as the Canadian one (and I've been out of school for over 40 years!!)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Isaac

You are so naive to think there is some kind of approachment with this new gimmick by Hipolito and Aristide.

The thing you have to do is to move to DR, learn about this country and Haiti, and then speak. You sound more like fool everyday.

Little did you know that several of the largest and most important Haitian ONGs, one of them the most powerful Haitian agricultural ONG, are vocally and strongly opposed to this Trade Zone opening in Juana Mendez, on the side of the Haiti border. They claim that rather than waisting their money with this type of plan, which has proven to be a total failure in other places in Haiti, they should encourage helping farmers along the border, who already are involved growing products they can sell in DR. Haitians do not like this idea at all. can you imagine what Dominicans think?

Our people on this side are up in arms against this stupid idea. Rather than bring employment, this Trade Zone is only going to build false hopes to other Haitians who are going to run to the border looking for a scant 1500 jobs and leave the cities.

What they should have done was to create a development plan in Porto Prince and other areas inland as opposed to the border. This Trade Zone is going to be a combat zone. Watch my words.

You better stick to subjects you know about.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MommC,It shows!

I don,t know about canada,but in the USA where I went to school,you either spelled it right,or you got it wrong!No,optional/alternative spelling accepted.Therefore,and I repeat,what does "exigence" mean? I have known about "exigency" for quite sometime.How,s that canadian Space Program coming along?Any launches coming up soon?What with that superior educational system and all,I thought that at least your Space Program would be superior as well!You do have half a lake that is Superior tho,!Criss The "C"

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Golo, if I read it correctly.

Golo,

If the initiative had moved further inland the
cry would have been that for all of the efforts
of the Dominicans what benefits sre they receiving
by having the free zone in Port Au Prince?

Golo, you can make a better argument than that.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey Criss.....DUH?

Why would we spend needless billions of $$$ when we can train astronauts and build space arms for the guy next door that has $$$ to burn and we make money doing it????

BTW- guess you didn't know that my son "saved" a launch did you?

Shortly after he went to work in the States seems that some guy with a doctorate and some MIT types pushed the wrong button on a mainframe and wiped out the programming for a mission due to leave in 72 hours. Since it was "Top secret" there were no "backups". The mainframe whizzes couldn't get in back so they called on the 20 yr old PC whiz to see what he could do. Guess what????
Columbia left on schedule and completed the mission successfully!!
JR got a BIG raise and went from VP in charge of PC development and architecture to SR. VP in charge of information systems........
:D

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Isaac, its simple geography..

If you have the zone in Port-a-prince, you keep the people there farther away from the border and the temptation to sneak across....

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Yes but!

Well if the zone was deep in the heart of Haiti what would be the benefit to the Dominicans? This
is meant to be mutually beneficial is it not?

Dominican Papi

I love Onions&Carrots!
Mar 27, 2002
Our benefit is....

to keep them out of our side of the island. maybe we should also build a hospital in Haiti to stop all those haitian women dumping their babies on ours. there are many Dominicans that don't have access to good health care. those haitians consume more than 30% of our healthcare resources by coming to my country to deliver babies and diseases. that's not fair. we should use OUR resources to care for OUR own people.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
you are right it is not fair.

But think about this if you the (Dominicans) and the International Community does not fully embrace
this problem what than do you think about having
60% of the Haitian women as you say "dumping their
babies in the DR".

Wrong is wrong, it is wrong for Haitians to enter
the DR illegally and it is also wrong for Dominicans to abuse their neighbors re:exploitation,etc.

If you think the problem is bad now try advocating
a policy of doing nothing and see what happens!

Or just sit back and say well we have done enough
and see what happens, I know it is a difficult problem but in SOME SENSES THE DR IS AS MUCH TO
BLAME FOR IT AS THE HAITIANS, IF THE DR WAS
MORE PROACTIVE IN THE PASS ITS PROBLEMS WITH HAITI
WOULD NOT BE SO EXAGERATED AS THEY ARE.
I believe it is said that you reap what you sew.

Tgf

Jan 3, 2002
Actually, Isaac, I think the blame game directs you clearly to the Haitian corner. Golo is correct when he clearly states that the free zones should be placed where they benefit the Haitians the most - the city population centers of Haiti. The dire straits of the average Haitian should not be placed on the door of the Dominicans, but on the corrupt, inept, uncaring leadership of the numerous Haitian governments. Haitians leaving Haiti to go to the Dominican Republic strain their social services (and the Dominican population is not generally affluent, nor are the various D.R. governments able to provide unlimited funds to social services). The Dominican Republic has plenty of free trade zones already and lately many companies in these zones have been laying people off in large numbers. Building another one is not going to do much for either country. The Haitian leadership needs to get its own house in order before any aid is going to be effective. The true losers are the Haitian people. They have no idea what good government is, have no social services, and little hope in their own country of any positive change. Working in the D.R. in construction or agriculture, even if poorly paid and treated like second-class individuals, looks good to someone who is hungry and jobless. This illegal immigration to the D.R. by Haitians, while a release valve for the dissatisfied of Haiti, will continue to exacerbate the anti-Haitian attitude in the D.R. Remember the Dominican Republic has a growing economy and a functioning (I write this with full knowledge of its limitations and faults) government system, but it is not an affluent country by any means. It is developing, but the poverty of many of its population cannot be fully addressed, let alone the incredible poverty of its neighbor, Haiti, in its own right.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
TGF

Excellent reply!!! Isaac Green needs a history lesson or two. You can't put it any better way.

TW

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
I will comment no further on this until I learn more of the issue

It would not be appropriate for me to further comment on this topic until I have learned more about the issue.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Isaac

Great idea!!!!!!

Go to the Washington National Library and check references for History of the Dominican Republic and Haitian history alike. Read about Batalla de Las Carreras, Batalla de 19 de Marzo, Toussaint Louvertoure, Duarte, Sanchez and Mella. Find out how the Haitians insisted on taking our freedom away from us, even after we declared independence and defeated them time and time again. They just don't learn. They don't want to create a country of their own. They have no pride in their nationality. All they want is to sit in somebody's lap and make a country for them.

We Dominicans are busy building a nation with great sacrifices. We do not steal or take anything away from the Haitians. We don't even take one inch of their land. We don't need it. We give them free hospitals, jobs, money, clothes, education. What else do they want from us.....our blood??

TW

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Golo question

Golo,

What was the name of the book that Balaguer authored? and did Trujillo pen one as well?

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Somebody must make out...

There must be people with lifestyles equivalent to TW's in Haiti. Who knows who those people are?

I can't believe everybody is suffering in Haiti.
Who is this guy Aristide? Do the Americans have
something at stake there?
Lets talk about the elite instead of the exploited masses. ????? X