orphanage outreach link

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Hey Guys - I don?t know why I didn?t think to post about this before... it is the spring newsletter for Orphanage Outreach, the group through which I came to know the DR.
I thought all the rest of you DR lovers/residents might be interested in knowing about it, it is a great organization, I can't believe all they've done in Esperanza this year!

http://www.orphanage-outreach.org/page137.htm

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Very interesting site, thanks for sharing it with us! How did you get involved, through your school too?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bugsey...

Great idea to help orphans. I have always thought that to break the cycle of poverty, a child must really be cared for 24/7.

In the Web site, there is mention of a need for computers. I have a computer that I will replace soon. I would donate it if I were assured that it would get to its final destination unscathed. Heck, maybe I'll bring it down on my next visit. I'm sure many of us have old PC's sitting around....lets collect them and send them down!!

The Web site also mentions that one of the girls is attending college in DR. Do you know this girl personally?

I REALLY like this idea. Its unfortunate that these kids have no family to take care of them. But on the other hand, they will now be taught to reach higher than they would have otherwise dreamed.

thanks to Bugsey & Meredith for helping my Dominican brothers and sisters.

mondongo

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I do know the girl (Mercedita) who is now attending college in Santiago. She is from the Monte Cristi orphanage, and she and one other boy were the first 2 kids to live there, and are now grown up and help to take care of all of the little ones! The are great peoplet to talk to about it because they have seen the complete transformation with Orphanage Outreach... when OO first came down there were no toys for the kids, very little food, no clean play space, etc., etc., and now there is not much more OO can think of to do for the orphanage in MC, they are doing great.

I will email you Mondongo with the PC info, anyone else who has any donation, etc. ideas email me or post here and I will get you in touch with the right people. No promises, but I could finagle a way to even have stuff picked up from you... I will check it out.

Meredith - I got involved last spring break through a random email I got about it through the volunteer group of Middlebury College. I've done the program twice now.