Will carpets/rugs survive Santo Domingo?

Siblet

Apr 9, 2002
I live in Turkey and have bought a few beautiful Persian carpets here. They are mostly wool on cotton and some silk threads.

I will be moving to Santo Domingo this fall and really want to bring them with me. Will they be OK in SD? Or should I store them somewhere else? I just don't want them to get ruined by the humidity or hurricanes, and I hear different stories and advice on what to do.

PS I will be in an air conditioned apartment.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I don't see why not!

I've seen many examples of fine rugs here in the DR.
And as long as you have power to run the air-conditioner the Turkish carpets should be fine.

The main danger as I see it is letting the housekeeper wash them!! They use WAYYYYYYY too much chloro!!
:D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Check the authenticity of the rugs...I have a friend who got taken for a ride on "Persian" rugs...happens all over.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
oriental rugs

The weather os humid you need to provide a barrier under them for air circulation and to protect they from the lime used on the terrazo, or so called marble floors used by the middle class. The marble dust and clips used a cement that has been colored.(this is where your lime(cal). this together with humidity is the carpet enemy. Buy alganas in the tourist market and split them open, try not to cut them, or have them made to size from a native. ( This I found to be one of the better carpet pads,lived there in mid eighties, will return next year for good ) enjoy your carpets .

Siblet

Apr 9, 2002
Great advice - thanks

Thanks to mariaobetsanov and MommC for the advice about whether to bring my carpets or not. It's very helpful and well taken. But I must ask, what is alganas?

Trina, thanks for your concern but I can assure you that you don't find many fake Persian carpets in Turkey. They are either hand done or machine made. And the dealers are pretty honest with that info and where they were made. It's just the price that theywaffle with! ($$$)!

Siblet