Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Salaries for US workers

I'm trying to get a concrete idea on the salaries that are available for bilingual citizens working in resorts/hotels. A friend in the US Embassy in Santo Domingo told me such a worker, a US citizen with fluency in spanish and english, could earn as much as US$3500 a month...but can I get an "amen"?
    Anything any of you may know about the typical and potential wages would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, are there any particular hotels that you recommend as being most likely to hire and pay well?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

ummmmmmmmmmm.........sorry to disappoint you, but I think he was talking in pesos...about $200/month US is more like it....you MIGHT earn that if you owned the hotel.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Considering how much much goes into those hotels, with a stay of just a few days costing several hundred US dollars, I have to believe there are real opportunities for high salaries. Several dominican friends have told me on different occasions that americans that speak spanish can earn very well in hotels in the DR, and that many pay in american dollars. So many friends have told me this, independant of each other, that I am inclined to believe it. An owner of a hotel makes a killing--not just 3500 US dollars a month (more like $20,000 US dollars a month).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck finding a job that pays that much...you are going to need it. The economy is terrible right now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of work are we talking about???? For a few UPPER management jobs you might get a salary comparable to what you would get in the States but for all other jobs, Trina is definately correct.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Good Luck!!

Trina is right, these jobs pay poorly at best. Even in the US, the salaries are not that high, plus, you better be prepared to put in long hours!

Lots of people will tell you that their salaries are high, who wants to admit that they dont make alot of money?

Post Thanks / Like

So what are the highest paying options for work? In what field is a spanish/english speaker most valuable? Any specifics anybody can pass along will be thanked.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You haven't told us what you are trained for besides being able to speak English.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Only a handful of the top executives of these hotels make money near the US$3,500 you mention. There are lots of English-Spanish speakers in this country.

For helpful information, see http://dr1.com/living/work.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fluent in english and spanish, conversational in portuguese and italian, and will be finishing a BS in Accounting at Brigham Young University in Utah next year. I have extensive experience teaching spanish and training groups of people in different capacities. Based on these qualifications, what do you suggest for most-beneficial work opportunities?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast