Salaries for US workers

shpider

Mar 14, 2002
I'm trying to get a concrete idea on the salaries that are available for bilingual citizens working in resorts/hotels. A friend in the US Embassy in Santo Domingo told me such a worker, a US citizen with fluency in spanish and english, could earn as much as US$3500 a month...but can I get an "amen"?
Anything any of you may know about the typical and potential wages would be greatly appreciated.
Also, are there any particular hotels that you recommend as being most likely to hire and pay well?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
ummmmmmmmmmm.........sorry to disappoint you, but I think he was talking in pesos...about $200/month US is more like it....you MIGHT earn that if you owned the hotel.

Good luck

shpider

Mar 14, 2002
Considering how much much goes into those hotels, with a stay of just a few days costing several hundred US dollars, I have to believe there are real opportunities for high salaries. Several dominican friends have told me on different occasions that americans that speak spanish can earn very well in hotels in the DR, and that many pay in american dollars. So many friends have told me this, independant of each other, that I am inclined to believe it. An owner of a hotel makes a killing--not just 3500 US dollars a month (more like $20,000 US dollars a month).

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Good luck finding a job that pays that much...you are going to need it. The economy is terrible right now.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What kind of work are we talking about???? For a few UPPER management jobs you might get a salary comparable to what you would get in the States but for all other jobs, Trina is definately correct.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Good Luck!!

Trina is right, these jobs pay poorly at best. Even in the US, the salaries are not that high, plus, you better be prepared to put in long hours!

Lots of people will tell you that their salaries are high, who wants to admit that they dont make alot of money?

shpider

Mar 14, 2002
So what are the highest paying options for work? In what field is a spanish/english speaker most valuable? Any specifics anybody can pass along will be thanked.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You haven't told us what you are trained for besides being able to speak English.

shpider

Mar 14, 2002
I'm fluent in english and spanish, conversational in portuguese and italian, and will be finishing a BS in Accounting at Brigham Young University in Utah next year. I have extensive experience teaching spanish and training groups of people in different capacities. Based on these qualifications, what do you suggest for most-beneficial work opportunities?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When I was in the DR I met a few teachers from England that were teaching English (of course) and they told me they were making 10,000- 12,000 PESOS a month. So you figure it out.

US 1=about 17 pesos.They were there for the experience of the country not to make money.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know of many people that come to the country expecting to make a lot of money.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
About 5 years ago, the manager I knew at a large all-inclusive earned RD$4500/month (US$260/month).

I know a girl that just graduated from the university and got a job at a bank for RD$6000/month.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
shpider said:
Considering how much much goes into those hotels, with a stay of just a few days costing several hundred US dollars, I have to believe there are real opportunities for high salaries. Several dominican friends have told me on different occasions that americans that speak spanish can earn very well in hotels in the DR, and that many pay in american dollars. So many friends have told me this, independant of each other, that I am inclined to believe it. An owner of a hotel makes a killing--not just 3500 US dollars a month (more like $20,000 US dollars a month).

Man I don't know where you get your figures from but whomever gave them to you is pulling your leg.

Hotels have been closing down left and right on the North Coast. The ones that are open are just holding on. Even the towns are quiet.

There are people on this board that would be willing to sell you a hotel on the cheap. You cant even afford to go out to dinner on Dominican wages. Get used to cooking rice and beans my friend.

Best of luck to you and if you find that job let me know because I know a hundred people that would work for literally ten percent of that and have a background similar to yours.

tyles suarez

May 5, 2006
Hi Shpider,

Well I earn 34,000 pesos a month....over $1,000 US So don't get disheartened there are well payed jobs out there!
Dont listen to the rest...probably because they don't have any education!!!!

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
shpider said:
I'm fluent in english and spanish, conversational in portuguese and italian, and will be finishing a BS in Accounting at Brigham Young University in Utah next year. I have extensive experience teaching spanish and training groups of people in different capacities. Based on these qualifications, what do you suggest for most-beneficial work opportunities?

selling furniture to rich foreigners.
just near the costambar turn off they are always looking for bilingual people...i think they sell furniture or home goods. give them a try

Last edited: