Canadian Families with Young Children

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
I would like to hear from any Candian/US families out there who have recently moved to DR with young children?

I visited the island several years ago and stayed in the Sosua area. I am considering moving there on a permanent basis and with a 6 and 8 year old. Thanks

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Hi There,
I am moving to Sosua in September. I saw that you posted an add for a nanny. I am looking for work as a private english tutor in the area, but would be more than willing to perhaps speak to you about taking care of your kids. Oh, I am Canadian, as well, living in Toronto. I am 29 year woman with 2 degrees, and currently working on a novel. That is why I am moving to the DR...so I can live on the ocean and write. However, I will need a means of paying my bills. I love children, that is why I wanted to tutor them or even nanny for some local families. If you are interested in continuing this converstaion please feel free to write me at white8wave@hotmail.com
Look forward to hearing from you

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
educational needs??

To: No More Snow
Please consider the needs of your children first when contemplating this move. Check out the educational standards of DR and then think real hard. I am a teacher and have observed and visited schools here - quite appalling to say the least.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can think of nicer places to stay with your children than Sosua, the Den of Iniquity of the North Shore.

It is a great place to party and even families have had wonder vacations there, but please remember it is basically a sex and partytown and doesn't mind it at all. Cabarete is the same.

If you insist on beaches, you might be wise to investigate a place like Puerto Plata or even Nagua. Why, you ask?

Well for one thing there are some nice schools that are capable of educating your children, run by nuns that are reasonably strict.
Especially in Nagua, where the nuns run a tight ship in a town that really is no more than a beach community as well as an agricultural center. Puerto Plata also offers some Christian schools that I hear are good....by Christian, I mean one of the Prostestant varieties....

BTW, at those ages the kids will pick up Spanish like sponges, IF you expose them to it.....and they won't lose their English...

HB

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
HB or anyone else who knows

How far is it (how long does it take by car) from Nagua to the airport in POP. Access to an airport is important as I still intend to maintain business interests and a legal practice in Canada and will be traveling quite frequently.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know where Nagua is but there are smaller communities west of Puerto plata close enough to the Airport that I would consider in your position. Constambar is one and Confressi is another. Nice communities albeit don't know anything about the schools there.

Good luck, I wish I was in the position to be there full time right now.

Regards