Help Please!!!

NYC Girl

Mar 20, 2002
Hi,

I need some help, advice, suggestions, etc.....

Supposed to be going to Punta Cana Beach Resort next Wednesday, 4/17. Just got a call from my travel agent telling me that they just found out this resort is going to start renovations/remodeling NEXT WEEK (apparently 3/4 of the resort will be shut down - won't be complete until Sept)!!! So Apple Vacations is giving me a choice of 2 different resorts to choose from...same days, same flights, etc...only difference is the resort.

My choices are either the Fiesta Bavarro or the Occidental Flamenco - both in Punta Cana. I looked both up on many different websites and both look nice....but I just had my heart set on the Punta Cana Beach Resort (many friends of mine have been and highly recommend it...they don't advertise much and therefore don't draw huge crowds - very isolated and relaxing). I was ready to cancel and ask for a refund - although I really want/need a vacation right now - I was all set to postpone the trip until Sept when the resort re-opens. Apple Vacations will not give me a refund and they said I have until 6pm today to decide.

So does anyone out there have any suggestions for me....both do look really nice and I can't decide. Maybe some of you have been to one of these resorts and could lead me in the right direction.

Here is a link for Fiesta Bavarro:
http://www.applevacations.com/jsp/destinations/hotels.jsp?HotelCode=211387

And a link for Occidental Flamenco:
http://www.applevacations.com/jsp/destinations/hotels.jsp?HotelCode=210916

I am so mad/frustrated right now - does Apple Vacations have the right to do this to me so last minute??? I leave a week from yesterday!!! And they won't even knock some $ off the price - they said these resorts are nicer than the one I picked and they are more than compensating me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Occidental Flamenco

Hi,

I've been to both resorts, but I would say that Flamenco Bavaro is my better choice. It's a little smaller, which makes it more of a cozy and fun resort to walk around and easy access to everything. The have the best disco in the Punta Cana area, which is open to everyone other than the tourist. They people are great there, most staff speak English, little English, and some none, but what can you expect. The food is ok, like all resorts if you like buffett, I'm not a buffet person, you can eat at one of the three restaurants, food is not so bad, as well as the Pizza place. Fiesta is right next to Flamenco on the beach. Night shows are great, although the second time I went, some of the staff changed and I found some of the entertainment not so great.

I've been there twice in less than a year for 2 weeks each time and heading back in May! My friends just got back from Flamenco and had a great time and really like the place. The only thing that applies to each resort, is that if it's extremely busy at the resorts, service may be a little slow or not that great. Be patience.

Fiesta is also ok, if you book the better hotel you should have access to the other resort owned by Fiesta, check this with Apple Vac. It's huge...........I believe it's a little older than Flemenco, which open in 1999. Fiesta is far larger, and a little run down. Punta Cana is certainly a great spot. As you can tell I would prefer Flamenco anyday, would not go back to Fiesta unless I got an amazind deal! Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a good trip. Buen Viajie................DJ

Last edited:

NYC Girl

Mar 20, 2002
Flamenco it is!

So I have solved all my dilemmas and have decided to stay at the Flamenco....thanks for the advice gonzaga! I'm really looking forward to my trip after hearing what a great time you had!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Youll be fine at Flamenco Bavaro

Its probably a little nicer than the PCBR. Thats why theyre remodeling. Its one of the older resorts in the Punta Cana area and probably a little run down by now. Enjoy and dont worry. Let us all know how you make out and especially if you do!

NYC Girl

Mar 20, 2002
Thanks!

I will definitely make out.....going with my boyfriend!!!

Thanks for all the help everyone...I'll write a post when I get back and tell you what I thought of the place.

I know PCBR is old but friends of mine have gone and absolutely loved it - I saw lots of pics and videos so I just kind of had my heart set on that place...but I'm sure anywhere in Punta Cana will be a nice break from NYC...

Thanks again.

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
PCBR

Yes, PCBR was one of the first resorts in the area. It dates back to the 70s when they used to have little villas. But thanks to them Punta Cana is what it is today. They are the sames one who built the airport, the marina, a Golf course and where Julio IGlesias, Oscar de la Renta stay in PUJ. We can call them the founders and developers of the whole region.

grs