Things look grim in venezuela

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparent coup d 'etat in Venezuela. My sister in law says things can;t get too much worse...Talk about stupid goverment, Chavez make Hippo look smart...and that takes some doing.

HB, keep tuned

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The Latin American soap opera

Brazil elects James Bond for president, soon after he gets kicked out and banned from running again.

Ecuador gets a "funny" president. Gets himself kicked out for "reason of insanity".

Mexican ex-president accused of theft and brother ends up in jail for involvement in the assasination of favorite candidate for elections (among many other things).

Peru decides to try the modern version of a dictator. Guy decides to stay in power, when kicked Peruvians find out he held another passport.

Argentina... you know.

Venezuela stick head in rear end and elect someone who had himself been involved in a coup before. Talk about democracy. Guy meets Fidel and Ghadafi and called them "brothers". Guy has the charisma of Ghadafi, the talent of Hipolito and the democratic values of Fidel. Few are surprised.

... and now The Simpsoms. :rolleyes:

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Wasn't Chavez a military man before becoming Prez?

If this is true isn't it funny how he has been
out foxxed by the same establishment that he was once a part of?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
HB.....Nothing on any of the news services...

Also cannot "load" El Nacional" newspaper or the Venezuelan E-News English service.

What more can you tell us????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not surprising. He was elected in a democratic election but has ruled as a virtual dictator ever since. I was in Venezuela at time of the campaign and election of Chavez. The poor people put him into office; also disgust with things done by the established parties in the past.

Venezuela has great potential but is crying out for good leadership.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Where is Tiger when you need him?

Wasn't Tiger this guys biggest fan?I remember reading all those posts two months ago,about how Hugo Chaves was supposed to be this great leader.He was the savior of the poor,and the leader of the revolution.The states were supposedly shaking in thier boots over this guy(because you know we have to keep the brown man down) blah,blah,blah.I can hear it now,"its the C.I.A man!"."The states want thier oil!" "Its a conspiracy man!" Take another hit and pass it along.This Chaves clown is just another tin horn dictator.He talked a good game,then he couldn"t back it up.His latest gig was to take farms away from the farmers,and give it to the people.(where have I heard that one before?).The farmers that have owned and worked the land were not going to have any of that.I was reading how they were forming armed resistance to keep what was thiers.They were assassinating government officials who were behind the land grabs.Good!I hope they string his commie ass up in the middle of the square in Caracas!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I Can't believe that not one US station is carrying this story...

Not even CNN......just got back from Guilia's and there is nothing yet on the major networks....maybe on the 11 o'clock news. They did find a spanish language station that is broadcasting live film and footage and analysts reports from Venezuela, Peurto Rico, Dominican Republic and Maryland.
The focus at the moment is on the airport where it seems that the First lady is leaving and probably Chavez with her.
Bets at the coffee shop are that he's coming to be with his good friend (buddy-buddy) Hippolito........... The difference is even Hippo wouldn't try to take land from the owners here to give to the people!! These two are so similar in mentality that it's scary!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bill Bratton

Wonder if William Bratton, formerly of the Boston and New York PD's has in his formula to improve the Caracas Police crime slashing programs a section on how to stop a coup d 'etat? Regards, PJT

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you want fresh news from the world you have to check DW or BBC World. They ran the news yesterday. The military took over and the president is under arrest. A high profile business man will head the "transition government" untill new electios are held.

11 people died, some, the word goes, in the hands of civilians loyal to Chavez who had being provided with weapons. I won't be surprised if he is prosecuted. I also think that the chances of him coming to DR are slim, after all Carlos Manuel Perez, his nemesis, the man he tried to extradite back to Venezuela has set residency here, is in good terms with the PRD and has always been.

I knew this was coming. If I could guess the winning number just like this I'd be disgustingly rich.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Hugo Ch?vez

~ ~ ~ Thorn in the side of new world order ~ ~ ~

By Vincent Browne
Hugo Ch?vez may have been in Bertie Ahern's mind when he visited George Bush in Washington before St Patrick's Day. Bertie swore obedience to American world hegemony, to its "war on terrorism" and to everything it entailed.

He didn't quite put it like that but that was the message and George Bush acknowledged it as such. The President of Venezuela, the most "yankified" of South American states, had failed to offer appropriate obeisance.

Ch?vez has characterised the US bombardment of Afghanistan as responding to "terror with terror". He brandished photographs of Afghan children killed by US bombs and called for an end to "the
slaughter of the innocents".

The US response to this impertinence was to send its ambassador, Donna Hrinak, to see Ch?vez. They had what a US official said (according to the Washington Post of February 23rd) "a very difficult meeting". She told the democratically elected president (again according to the Washington Post) "to keep his mouth shut on these important issues".

Washington doesn't like Ch?vez for other reasons. First he has had the temerity to invite Fidel Castro to Caracas. He also visited Libya, Iran and Iraq, all members, with Venezuela, of OPEC, through which he arranged for a substantial increase in the price of oil (the Americans were especially indignant over his visit to Saddam Hussein).

[see complete article --->

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/opinion/2002/0410/3888033530OP10VINCENT.html

? The Irish Times

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting: Every time Donna Hrinak opens her mouth a government, usually elected-gets screwed. She did it to Balaguer in 1994 and now Mr. Chavez...

Must be some witch....

Never did like her...

I will wait until my sister in law gets in touch to see how the real Venezuelans feel about this...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I believe that Chavez's "impertinence", the visit of Hrinak or the fact that God, I mean Bush didn't like him had nothing to do with his demise. He went down because Venezuelans had enough with him. It took longer than I expected.

Now, the funny thing is that the other Latin American presidents have not aknowledged this new "de facto" government. Ironic, isn't it? that Fidel was the first one to protest.

One day, not far from now, scientists will discover that Latin Americans are genetically impaired from electing good governments.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, PIB, I can agree with you on this...Eyes lowered in a kindly way

My sister in law predicted this a while ago and a good friend of hers said just two weeks ago that things were getting impossible.

I think that Donna has the Curse of God, but that is another matter....the guy blew it, just like Hippos is blowing this chance to become an excellent president. No guts no glory..

}x{ HB

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
I just read he's back in power......This should be intresting to see what happens now especially if it is true that other outside people had him ousted in the first place.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just read that since 4:30 a.m. he is back in Caracas and has re-assumed power. the interim president Carmona decreed that power be returned to him. He has made more promises to try and correct his ?xcesses". We'll have to wait and see.

I really never thought that this was USA based, but rather grass roots Venezuelans really pissed off that their money is now nearly worthless...

HB

jungle

Apr 13, 2002
chavez

Sorry guys, it was an auto coup, he is "discipulo del diablo" + Fidel Castro, it was just a show. The real venezuelans are very sad and very scare, I just hope they will not be as scare as "us" cubans, otherwise they will have a "never ending goverment. Very sad.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I Was There

I was in Caracas when much of this came about and got the last flight out before international flights were suspended. Chavez passed a law to the effect that whenever he speaks, all televsion stations in Venezuela are required to broadcast his speeches. When this guy speaks he makes Fidel look like a short hitter.

So Sunday morning the 7th of April, Chavez comes on TV criticizing his overwhelming opposition (70%). I drink some coffee, listen for awhile and head to a beach about an hour south of Caracas (wow, you outta see those things Venezuelan women call bikinis). We get a couple of hours of sun, drink a few Polars, head back to Caracas, grab a bite and go back to the condo. So at least four hours have passed and this long winded blowhard is still speaking but this time, every time he would criticize his opposition, he'd blow a whistle and yell "offsides" in English which explains the whistle blowing in the opposition demonstrations. His speechwriter(s) would then hand him another piece of paper with handwritten notes and he'd talk from that paper and keep blowing the whistle yelling "offsides".

So there was supposed to be a strike of petroleum workers beginning Monday morning the 8th of April. The university teachers has already walked because they hadn't been paid as had many doctors. The strike starts on Monday and I see no indication of civil unrest. Tuesday it rains so the rain apparently kept people off the street. On Wednesday, all Hell breaks loose from what I am told was a totally spontaneous demonstration. The people I know down there had no indication that the pooh pooh was going to hit the fan and this Gringo certainly didn't know he was going to be caught in it. This guy Chavez makes Hippo look like Winston Churchill. Anyway, if anybody wants me to depose Hippo, let me know and I'll make a trip to Santo Domingo.