Are you catholic?

Sarah Lee

Mar 7, 2002
Are you catholic? how do you feel about the scandal surrounding the catholic church? i was brought up as a catholic, of course im not even a easter or christmas catholic now.I just wander how many more John Geoghan will be charge? how will it affect catholics?

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
I am Catholic, had to go to catholic school for 12 years, Dad was about to be a priest before Mom talked him out of it. I view myself as a liberal catholic since I can't agree with there views on certain topics like abortion and celebacy. I think there needs to be some major changes in the church. There will always be a minority of priest molesting children, since there are always a few bad eggs in the bunch.

For one, I believe priests should be allowed to be married. I am betting with the next Pope this will happen. Although marriage will not divert bad ones from doing what they do, at least it is some start for the good ones. On an interesting note, the pastor of my parents church is married. He was Episcopal, and a married priest, then converted to Catholicism, now that is a way to get around that rule. 60 minutes interviewed im last week and he will be on the show soon. Sometime I'll have to do my "Father Nelson" joke, it's a crowd pleaser for sure.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is not just like what happened in the late 1400s and early 1500s. Now that was raunchy...and corrupt on another level.

It is not the theology that is under attack, but rather the people in charge of guiding their flocks. Human frailties. Since the Church is so large, there are bound to be a goodly number of perverts, and what seems to be most upsetting is the fact that, in spite of having solid evidence of this behaviour, the Boston Archdiocese(?) just passed him off with a clean sheet. To me, that is criminal. And it happens in all of the religions, just look in the papers. However the Catholic priest has always been held to a higher standard than other religious leaders, and in this sense, these episodes have been extremely damaging

In fact, this might be the coming of a second Reformation for the Church. I don't think that the doctrines of celibacy will be overturned, but certainly some new thinking will take place.

Yet, you have to remember that the basic Credo is still the same, and hasn't changed in over 16 centuries.

HB

Just as a follow up, marriage will not get rid of the pederasts, the homosexual predators, or the child molestors. It may avoid affairs between priests and willing, consenting adult females, but little more. I think marriage would give the priest a better outlook on life in the 21st century, and the problems of raising a family in a christian or Catholic manner.

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Priests in the Northeast

A couple of these priests were located in Northern Maine. One nearly baptized my daughter (we moved). The diocese stated that these priests went through extensive counseling and were thought by professionals (psychologists?) to be of no danger to the community. Certain persons in the parish were told of the priests' pasts and the priests were forbidden from being in any sort of youth leadership. They could in no way be left alone with children. With the outcry in Boston, these priests (2 of them) have been removed from their parishes permanently.
There is an extreme shortage of priests (probably due to the celibacy thing), so the church has tried to keep as many as possible.

Incidentally, we have left the Catholic church to attend a different Christian church. It had nothing to do with the perverts, just the different philosophies.
mainer

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Theresa,

I agree this molestation thing runns thru all of society,but the sexual frustrations of those priests probably aggravates the problem.
I was raised catholic too but have dropped this boat anchor for good
since my reservations run much deeper.
This whole religion is not good for the advancement of the human race.
(original sin,love your enemy,god on the cross,poisened sex) just to name
a few obvious things,but this is only the beginning.

I much prefer to study the buddhist writings,but here too:
stay out of of churches!!

Regards X

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I went to Catholic school from K-12. I was even an Altar Boy for a few years. I can tell you horror stories about the "Penguins" and the Padres! I was lucky the parish pedophile preferred blonde boys over Latins so I was spared but I saw many things!
My Ex-parish just recently completed and dedicated a new $10.5 million cathedral. Good to see that the money they collect is going to a good cause instead of helping the poor or infirmed!

Tony C.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Follow the rules and you get to go to heaven when you die. I was told you have to really believe or it won't work. The alternative is to burn in hell forever, even if you don't believe it! Sinners (rule breakers), repent or suffer the wrath of God. Give generously to the church. After all, it is the house of God. Recent scandals will not change what I think.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The sins of a few...

The church will survive. In the CNN era one find this to be a big deal (and I think it is) but the church has failed its creed in even bigger ways. For some people who only paid attention to the Catholic church now because of these scandals this might seem like a biggie. Not for us who know of the churches more serious sins: the Borgias, the Inquisition, not comdening the massacre of native Americans (and justifying it for a long time), its relationship with the muslims and jews, and the silent during the holocaust. The list goes on. This "new" scandal is only big in the USA and a few other countries, I would bet that in Latin America for example people haven't paid much attention to this.

I think that being a paedophile doesn't have anything to do with being single or celibate. Actually many a pederast is "happily" married and have a family of their own. And ending celibacy in the priesthood is out of the question... for now.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Well thing is for certain well make that 2 things!!

Well one thing is certain and that is 2 things
no matter what comes at them will survive
1.The Catholic Church and 2.That Euro-Trash in
England the Royals. Why this is I have no idea
however both have seemed to not only endure
scandal but also seem to grow stronger from it.

Next point how interesting it is that we can have
a calm,collected and polite discussion about the
Catholic religion and its short-comings in the
Church but let the topic turn to another religion
let's say voodoo and all you fine upstanding types
dive for the gutter and begin throwing accusations
of evil at work and etc.

SOME OF YOU HERE ARE REAL HYPOCRITES TO THE HIGHEST ORDER.

And this time I don't give a damn about someone's
feelings getting hurt so if you want to be a baby about and not converse with me because you do
not like my brand of free speech I could care less. Reading posts like the above makes me sick,
and by the way look at the names of the ones that
have offered opinions on the Catholic Church than
research the archives and you'll see what the same
OLD FARTS had a change of heart when it comes to
voodoo or something that is out of there little
world of what they know.

This is why we have so many problems in the world
because of the double standard that exists by some
of the OLD FARTS above that have posted.

Not once have I heard one of you two-faced OLD FARTS say that the Church was evil oh no au contrar we can't say that but you can sure part
your lips to accuse practitioners of voodoo as being evil shame on you!!!!!

1.FIRST OF ALL BEFORE THE OLD NINNIES GET OUT OF SHAPE I DID NOT SAY THAT EVERY WHO HAD POSTED
ABOVE ON THIS THREAD IS A OLD FART TO A FEW AND THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE JUST CHECK THE ARCHIVES.

2.IF YOUR FEELINGS GOT HURT BEHIND THIS ONE TOUGH
DEAL WITH IT YOU'LL GET OVER IT. DON'T EXPECT ME
TO APOLOGIZE BECAUSE ON THIS ONE IT AIN'T COMING.

AND IF YOU DECIDE THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ME ANY MORE SO WHAT "GOODBYE TO BAD RUBBISH"

I'M HOT BEHIND THIS ONE NOW LET ME SEE WHO WILL
BE ADULT ENOUGH TO ADMIT THERE HYPOCRISY,

I'LL START IT OFF BY SAYING YES I HAVE BEEN A HYPOCRITE AT TIMES BUT I ADMIT IT SOME OF YOU OLD FARTS WILL NEVER ADMIT.

ROBERT------ LEAVE MY POST BE IT DOES NOT CONTAIN
PROFANITY AS OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO BE
POSTED, AND THIS NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY ALL.

AND DESPITE ALL OF THIS YOU STILL HAVE NOT AND WILL NOT HEAR ME ACCUSE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF BEING EVIL.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
My response to that post can be summed up by Dr. Evil... 'riiiiiiight.'

Anyhoo, I don?t see how this conversation really relates to the DR, but I will contribute because I feel strongly about it and it is a good topic...

I refused to be confirmed at age 12/13, much to my mother's chagrin, but even then I had good intuition to know the truth about the Catholic Church. What can I say, I was a willful only child.

As a Bostonian (from an Irish Catholic family at that) Cardinal Law makes me ill and ashamed. What gets me in the whole situation is the one thing that is not related to religious theory, doctrine, or (god forbid with these people) the Bible. What gets me is the money, the dollar signs involved. Because all I can think about is my grandmother going to our local church EVERY DAY for years before she died, giving money continually. And where did it all go? Was it used to help the poor that live on the streets in downtown Boston, beautify our church, or teach catechism? No, because over 10 MILLION was given to Geoghan victims before this story ever saw the light of day in the Boston Globe or Herald. So God knows when the story hits the papers and the lawsuits are settled we paid a whole lot more. And then now I read a few days ago about the other priest named in these cases who's name I can't remember, and the same job that Law did with him, passed him off to CA to sweep it under the rug instead of getting it taken care of. From what I hear from my family, there is an extremely large amount of public support for Law's resignation, but he won't go unless he gets kicked out.

And then to top it all off the Pope can't even stand up to read mass on Easter. Come on. I read yesterday that he is not even TOLD the details of these pedophilia cases, just the main ideas because they feel the news would effect his health.

Now who's going to hell in a handbasket here?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
From my understanding of the Bible. The church is the people..not the building! So never understood why there are somany grand churches and right outside those doors there are people begging! Seems to me the outward "building" is more important than the real church...the people. Gold statues...beautiful embrodered robes..and poor people giving their money for it all! Never understood this...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I myself was a born-and-raised Catholic, now I consider myself a Christian. I strongly believe in God, Heaven, and Hell, and consequences for your actions of life on earth. I don't believe that you have to go to Church to be a good person, but I do believe that you have to be a good person in order to receive the richest rewards...on earth and in life thereafter. I also believe that you should donate what you can, and to me, the Church is the safest place for my donations...considering organizations like the United Way take 40% off the top of your donation for "Administrative" purposes.

With what has been happening in the Church, unfortunately, with Catholicism being one of the largest religions in the world, there are going to be bad apples. There is a lot of sickness in the world. I don't believe that if priests were able to marry all this would stop, however I believe that it is important that priests are allowed to marry so they can understand and counsel marital problems.

I also believe that with what has been happening, Catholic priests need to be disciplined for their actions. To let them go without anything being done to them gives them the freedom to do it again in other circumstances. Anyone who robs a child of their innocence or forces another person to have sex against their will is sick and needs to be in prison so they cannot do it again. Hell, if I were President, I'd chop off their parts so they couldn't do it again.

Pib said:
The sins of a few...

The church will survive. In the CNN era one find this to be a big deal (and I think it is) but the church has failed its creed in even bigger ways. For some people who only paid attention to the Catholic church now because of these scandals this might seem like a biggie. Not for us who know of the churches more serious sins: the Borgias, the Inquisition, not comdening the massacre of native Americans (and justifying it for a long time), its relationship with the muslims and jews, and the silent during the holocaust. The list goes on. This "new" scandal is only big in the USA and a few other countries, I would bet that in Latin America for example people haven't paid much attention to this.

I think that being a paedophile doesn't have anything to do with being single or celibate. Actually many a pederast is "happily" married and have a family of their own. And ending celibacy in the priesthood is out of the question... for now.

I agree 100% with you Pib, and you are right that it doesnt make the news in Latin America just as the Venezuelan coup d'etat hasnt hit the news big time in North America.

Our priest was a wonderful man, a very real person who could cheat at cards, drink and swear with the best of them. He always showed up on Fish Friday at our house because he knew my father was non catholic and a good steak, cold beer or bottle of scotch was always waiting for him. When the new church was built the manse has only one bedroom and the question was asked where did the house maid sleep? And he would answer in the bedroom, but we put a piece of plywood down the centre of the bed to separate us. And if the urge came upon me I would remove the plywood with a big laugh. Celibate- no way.

Jess

Mar 17, 2002
Catholisism

Hi,

Not sure what many of u are talking about, but I being brought up in Scotland as a Catholic..following what I believed to be true throughout my school years..found out most to be CRAP basically... I in 9 weeks will marry my protestant fiance..and to the catholic church means I will never be allowed to go for communion again unless I ask for permission.
Now.......sorry but I aint gonna ask for permission to go for communion. If they want me fair enough, but because I marry someone of a different religion should not matter.
I rather enjoy going to mass, maybe not every week but when I can, but to be told you are not allowed!!!!!!!!! CRAP...you should never be told that.
As someone said in a previous post Cant wait till the next pope! they are right...the catholic church should let priests marry..whats the big deal?? Vicars can marry..many men of other faiths can marry.......let the catholic priest marry....they will make good families of many children..and hopefully bring more young people into the church.. mw5776@hotmail.com reply if u want...........

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
What church is this saying that you can't receive comunion unless granted after you marry in the prostentant church? Well in Scotland they are still under the Bysantine Right and here in the states it a little more liberal. The catholic church I belong to has support groups for divorced people and those who have had abortions. Just goes to show you there are extremes everwhere. Although, when you get married in the church you commit to raising you offspring as Catholic. I never heard such a thing as not being able to receive communion. I think it's all about finding the church, religion or higher power, or whatever, that fits you. Hey, Protestants are just as good, so is every other Religion... and go for that religion if that suits you. :)

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Jess
I was brought up in Glasgow,went to a catholic school,was taught the same b.s as you.I have no time for religion now especially the catholic church.
You would think that maybe the church would try to move with the times,that it would try get people to come back,and encourage believers to stay, no chance.
The end result is that people are abandoning religion.Churches all over Scotland are lying empty,abandoned, or turned into furniture stores, there is even one in Glasgow thats a bar, its called the church on the hill,I had a few pints there the last time I was home.
My wife who is Dominican was really shocked,it was a big bochinche.
By the way my mum was protestant and my dad catholic and it wasn't a problem.
Where is your church.
Regards Terry.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Communion

Jess & Theresa,
I'm a North American Protestant who married a Dominican Catholic 16 yrs ago, when we both lived in NYC. I've been grappling with the communion question, among others, ever since. You see, most (I thought all, but maybe not your parish) Catholic parishes make a point of saying that non-Catholics are not allowed to take communion in a Catholic church, since they are "not of the body" (not one with the fellowship). Check your church bulletin next Sunday -- a statement to that effect is usually included somewhere in the bulletin. I know, because I've read many of them, in both English and Spanish.
This issue one of many things that steam me about the Catholic Church. I was raised a Christian in a church where, if you were baptised Christian, no matter what denomination, you were welcome to take communion. Which I always thought made sense -- after all, I cannot find in the Bible where Jesus breaks the bread and says "Take this in remembrance of me -- but ONLY if you have been baptised Roman Catholic, that is!"
When my wife and I started planning our wedding, I readily agreed to having it in her church. We met with the priest to arrange things. One of the first things Father Oleaga said, once he met me and found out that I was Protestant, was that he would not perform communion at our wedding. My bride-to-be was crestfallen, as she had been harboring hope that he would at least perform communion for her and her family, even if he could not accept me.
The next thing he said was "it would be better for all" if I converted. I told him as calmly and politely as possible that I had no intention of converting. That I had already agreed with my fiancee to wed in her church and allow her to raise our kids as Catholics. But that was as far as I would go. I believed that religion had an important place in my future children's upbringing. But I would not discard 27 years of religious belief to convert just to make things look simplier for their eyes. "And after all, I AM a Christian. It's not like Oni is marrying a pagan."
I wish I could convey the sour look he gave me when I said that, as if he wasn't so sure that she was making a bigger mistake!
[Soon thereafter I compounded my "crime," by asking that the ceremony include reading of a beautiful passage about marriage from Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet." He protested against non-biblical, "non Christian" readings. I prevailed by forcing him to read the actual words and realize that Gibran says nothing about love and marriage that is not already in the bible and the teachings of Christ. But then, he managed to omit the reading during the wedding ceremony anyway. My brother has never forgiven me that!]
Since my twins were born 11 1/2 years ago, I have frequently accompanied my wife and kids to mass, even though I could not take communion. This particularly hurt at Christmas and Easter! As the kids grew older, they finally got around to noticing that I did not take communion in the Catholic Church. Finally this spring they learned the shocking news that I was not Catholic. [I have kept my word of 16 yrs ago: they have been raised Catholic, gone to Catholic school, I attend mass with them, and despite my many disagreements with Church doctrine, I and have not spoken of these or otherwise ill of the Church in front of the kids] It does not seem to have affected my son very much, but it shook my daughter. She evidently has been asking some pointed questions in CCD class that make people uncomfortable....
Regards,
Keith

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I don't want to hurt

anybodys feelings or believes but allow me one question:
Isn't this comunion ceremony in a way sublime canibalism?
And looking at it from that angle how does it compare to voodoo?
Just a thought X

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Keith..In my opinion it was better for you not to perform communion at your wedding. That would have been unfair to you and many others that were not catholic That would be leaving out lots of people in attendance and it would be fair to leave them out. I feel that communion would be nice for dual Catholic people, but even then it leaves out attendees and is kind of selfish, in my view. Not to mention way TOO LONG. Now-a-days priests who even have dual Catholic are opting out of the communion since the Church views Marriage as a Sacrament already and ther is no need for 2 sacraments to be done on the same event. They will do it only on special request. That has been what I have been told by priests, and many other lay-people. My sister-n-law converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist of all things. She would not have done it if it wasn't for 2 my two nephews. Maybe some day you will fee that way, I hope you don't feel really pressured. You should do it for yourself and the kids if you feel the calling.

X-man - it is symboilsm.. we are not really "eating" a man. It is spiritual.