any one have any good domincan recipes

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
I am lookin for diffrent dominican recipes. Nothing like gourme meals just something everyday, any kind will do.
Ihave heard that the dominican cake is out of this world!?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm a pretty fine Dominican cook. Remember when you come back to bring some Ranchero sazon...outta this world. Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.iguanamama.com/info-food-recepies.html

http://ecommerce.enel.net/nuestracocina/recetario.asp

(guess you beat me to that one, Anna!)

http://www.rincondominicano.net/lonuestro/cocina/cocinadominicana3.html

also, check the archives...you'll find a lot of info if you do a search on recipes, also search on tostones...there was quite a thread on cooking plantains...think it was at the end of 2001. Have fun!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
BTW

Does anyone know what beans are used in Habichuelas con Dulce? I know recipes call for "red beans"...the only such beans I can find here are kidney beans...anybody know?

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I use Romano beans, too, but that's for regular rice and beans or morro. Does she use Romano for hab. con dulce, too?

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
my absolute fav dominican food is morri son yando (bear with the spelling), like an orange julis, but 100 x better!

jessica

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mmmmmmmnnnnnn...........locrio con camarrones...............

el jefe, locrio has to be about the easiest meal to make...do you know how to make the sazon? have the pork/chicken/whatever meat marinading in sazon for a minimum of 4 hours, boil with oil, salt, and water until tender; add rice, water, OXO chicken boullion, a couple tsps of tomato paste, cook until rice is done, and you're set.

Hint for tender meat: Put oil in bottom of pan along with a tsp of sugar. When the sugar turns black, the meat is ready to go in.

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Trina....locrio con habichuala y aguacate...

yumm...yumm...it does not get any better than that....i'll take that over a filet mignon any day....

MANGU: here's a variation of mangu I made the other day. I find that the best mangu is made with very green platanos...when I boil the platanos, I make sure that they are transluscent almost all the way through...if they appear too white when you slice them, then they'll be hard to mash and they'll taste too grainy....here it goes:

1) boil the platanos until transluscent
2) at the same time, sautee in good olive oil some some chopped up garlic , red onions, scallions and shallots (if you open up the lid of an olive oil bottle, and you dont smell anything, then you have crappy olive oil!)..season this to taste with salt, a little cumin and a little black and cayene pepper...note that if you happen to have some ham hanging around, chop this up finely and add it in
3) when I cooked the mixture, I actually burned it a little...the scallions, garlic and shallots became a little crispy....which turned out to be great!!!
4) mash the plantains with a dinner fork. add some butter, salt and some of the liquid from the boil..be careful not to add too much liquid....and work fast, you cant allow the mangu to get cold.

5) add the sauteed mixture and mix it in....get some avocado....and bingo....you are in heaven

mondongo

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Yes, i love locrio con habichuela y aguacate, heaven. Still cannot do plantains, though, no matter how I try.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Trina
Yes she uses Romano beans for hab-con dulce. she uses another kind in Sto. Dom.but she cant get them here.
PS I dont like it--- too sweet.
whereabouts are you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FOOD Where is Natasha when you need her?

Now that MommC has returned to the cold and drizzle of CAnada, we need Natasha to be our Resident Expert in the Cocina Dominicana.

As far as beans go, yes you can use kidney beans, that is what "red beans" are!!.

When you get here jessica, you have to go to the book store and buy Ligia de Bornia's La Cocina Dominicana. It is somewhat dated but by far one of the classics.

I saw one the other day for about 300RD$ that was in English!

99% of all Dominican cooks have no idea of what cooking is about. They just do what their mothers did, and have no idea of measures, times or general rules of thumb.

The newer editions of Joy of Cooking are also a wonderful source for cooking.

Remember that in this country most cooking is done with fresh ingredients. The fridge is for cold water and ice...there is no concept of leftovers or saving or buying for long term use..

Conservation is also an unknown, since the physics of cooking is not understood. "More fire, cook faster? Yea right!"

HB

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly

I am a Dominican and I take exception to those insults you jsut leveled at us. To say that "99% of all Dominican cooks have no idea of what cooking is about" is totally uncalled for and beneath the spirit of this Forum and this thread. Untrained as I am, I happen to think I am a pretty good cook. Lets keep the insults in the Open Forum.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I consider those who don't measure, who use instinct and past experience to be among the finest of cooks.

Hillbilly, I'd never tasted a bean in my entire life (picked them out of chile) until I lived in the Dominican...thus the ignorance regarding red/kidney beans...didn't think kidney beans could ever be that tasty, so thought some other kind of bean must be used.

BTW, Natasha is Dominican...guess she is in that 1% of all Dominicans that have a clue.

Terry, I am from Calgary.

Last edited:

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Dear hillbilly what would I do with out you!You have been so helpful to me, and it just keeps comming!!
I understand what you mean there are no measurments, it is just to fly by the seat of your pants cooking but I do have to say it is fun sometimes. You dont know what your cooking till you start and then your dont know whats going in there either!]

jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mondonguito, don't take offense, think!

8,400,000 people. 1% = 84,000 good cooks! Which I will bet is a lot more than there really are!.

And I'll bet that of those 84,000 most of them have never read a cook book....

Mondongo-you once said you hate mondongo!. I can't stand it either! But 99% of the population think it is a delicious meal after a night of drinking. Is it that the booze kills the taste buds?? Or culture.

My dear deceased bro in law insisted on platanos, rice and beans and other dominican delicacies in 1959 in BOSTON!! There wasn't a platano within 150 miles of Boston....!! So the family went to NYC every couple of weeks to buy at the bodegas!!. Talk about spoiled!!

Want to make a Dominican happy? Cook rice. Boil Beans, preferibly kidney, but black or chick peas are okey, too., being sure to use cilantro, one onion and a Cubanela green pepper for flavoring.( Secrets: In a separate pan, heat a little oil, add some tomato paste, a cube of chicken broth, a tooth of garlic and a touch of Sazon Ranchero (1 tbls) plus you take a cup of the beans, put them in a blender and add them to this pan. All this is saute?d for a couple of minutes and goes into the bean pot and is stirred.) Get some beef-cut doesn't matter. Hit it a lot with a hammar, season with oregano, salt and a little pepper. Peel and cut some onions.
Add oil to a pan. Cook beef until shoe-leather done, no pink allowed. Remove from pan. Add onions and a splash of vinegar, put beef back in and mix. Serve with grated cabbage and a slice of greenish tomato, put rice and beans on the side. Make salad dressing of lemon juice and salt and pepper.

TRINA? Really good cooks don't use books to cook or a lot of measurements, but this is because they have been doing that particular recipe for years and know it by heart. No great chef goes about without measuring everything....That is part of being a good chef. Go on, ask MommC, tonight she should be back on line saying that it is cold up there...

P.S. the bean recipe is infallable and will bring tears to the eyes of any Dominican...

HB

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
hillbilly you are a man after my heart!!!!! Except whern you make the beans put them in a pressure cooker and they will cook faster and taste even more yummier than one ever thoght possible!!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hillbilly, I have to disagree with you on the numbers...never in my life have I had a bad Dominican meal, thus I suspect the percentage is a whole lot greater. Great recipe, by the way...we use black beans and skip the oregano, and the onions we use are always green onions.

Jessica, check 2001 archives under Dominican cookbook, this is a good thread to learn a few secrets of Dominican cooking. Natasha wrote some good stuff...Where is she, anyways?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please, pretty please, re-read my post. I said that 99% have never read a cook book, and have no idea what cooking is about. You don't have to read a cook book or know much about cooking to cook the Dominican flag. How much talent does it take to boil yuca, platanos, !name or batata? Or to fry them?

Hey some of the best food I have ever eaten was done over a wood fire on a farm with plantains, eggs and salami...

Old Dominican saying: Hunger is the best cook.

As for pressure cooking? Of course, it saves gas or fuel...

Try that recipe and you will use it forever,.....

HB

I am wondering where natasha is, too??? HUmmmmm