Telephone costs calling Canada from the DR

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
When I was in SD, a friend of mine that came with me used to let her family or boyfriend know she's calling them by letting the phone ring a few times and hanging up and then they would call her back (we were staying at my firends place who had a land phone). On the other end (in Canada) they may have picked it up a few times, forgetting it was her and I think one time she may have spoken to someone for 5min max. and left a quick message on her boyfriends cell phone a couple of times. Now my friend living there got the phone bill and she said it was RD425! Could that be correct? Apparently she said that they even charge the minute when it's just ringing and no one picks it up. We were only there for 2 weeks and I don't think she called that many times. I mean I know how expensive using the Orange card was calling cell phone to cell phone and it was only a local call but I couldn't believe when I heard the 425RD.

danagos

Jan 1, 2002
Telephone Calls Home

Back in March, my girlfriend wanted to call home to check on her children. She had trouble using her US calling card and finally called collect from the resort.
Her bill came last week (drum roll) US$70.00! Don't know exactly how long the call was, maybe 10 minutes. Moral of the story, use a pre-paid calling card, have some spanish speaking help or don't call! PS: The postcards we sent finally arrived 6 weeks later. Gee, I'm glad I got the more expensive "Express" stamps!
Dan